Battery drain solved ??

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rampant Lion

Battery drain solved ??

Post by Rampant Lion »

Hi guys..thought I would pass on a problem I have sussed..eventually.

Since I have had the bike I have been suffering a drain on the battery. On the way I have changed the battery, reg/rectifier and cleaned up all the usual connections. What was happening was if I left the bike for a week in the garage it was a real pain to start. Hit the button and it would appear to have a flat battery. Sort of got round it by keeping it on the optimiser all the time.

Then it was pointed out to me that when I pressed the brake, the pilot light at the front would come on.

Further investigations ensued..disconnected one of the tail/brake lights showed that the front light only came on if one of the lights was disconnected.

Getting closer to the problem..

Finally took the bulb out of the socket and turned it round and refitted..problem sorted.

Have left the bike now for a week at a time and it starts ok.

This may be of some use to someone, so thought I would share.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
tony.mon

Re: Battery drain solved ??

Post by tony.mon »

AH, good detective work.
Front sidelight bulb was an LED, I assume?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

tony.mon wrote:AH, good detective work.

I'll get back to you on that later. Been away to the Cauld butt Rally this weekend, bike tucked away now. Work away all week so will check on the bulb next weekend..
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

Rampant Lion wrote: Finally took the bulb out of the socket and turned it round and refitted..problem sorted.
just had a similar issue with my sp - which has the exact same tail light holders and bulbs
out for a ride yesterday, someone (think it was steve6088) said my tail light looked like it was flashing, and one bulb was out.
had a look today and noticed the same issue.... press the brake pedal, only the rh brake lamp came on but both sidelights and clock lights lit up.

swapped the bulb. same.
checked the connector was in correctly cos theres 2 ways of fitting it - if its in wrong it will light the sidelights.
it was in correctly.
checked the other bulb & holder - all ok.
did i have a faulty spare bulb???
no.

turned out to be a broken wire - was touching the tail light wire.

soldered it up and cleaned the contacts up - all ok.

strangely ive been having similar issues with battery drain... just gone and bought a new battery as well lol. :Ball Kick:
interestingly tony - both my sideys are led :think:
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Benny your tail lights were flickering when we met up for the ride from Matlock. Sounds like all the electrics on your SP are wearing out :(
AMcQ
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

you couldve told me u scottish brumie cant lol! :lol:

i think that was more to do with the broken + terminal on the battery!
i reckon i broke that by trying to stuff an oversized firestorm battery in the smaller battery compartment.

the tail light wire was pretty corroded tbh. looks like its been like that a while.
ive put half a dozen bulbs in since i got it lol, i just thought it was a vibration thing!
seems ok now like - couldnt find any other problems like.

seeing as theyre the same (crappy) fittings as the storm, might be worth checking them on yours?
mine are insulated now with loom tape so it doesnt happen again
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

tony.mon wrote:AH, good detective work.
Just checked the bulb, no it's not an led, but a normal round bulb. That's the front pilot light I'm on about.

Reading the later posts I can also confirm that when I had the original faults I did notice that the clock lights did illuminate a bit when I pressed the brake pedal. All ok now though.

nb. the twin tail lights on my storm are flat with two pins, easy enough to insert into the holder the wrong way round.

Also had a bit of a push to get the large yellow battery into the old plastic box...no idea how I'm gonna ever get it out. Could be an idea to grease the battery sides before inserting it...as the actress said to the bishop..

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just hook through some cable ties into the terminal connectors and hoik it out that way
Also had a bit of a push to get the large yellow battery into the old plastic box...no idea how I'm gonna ever get it out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

no idea how I'm gonna ever get it out
You could also put a bit of old strap or old belt inside the battery box, the battery sits on it wraps around the outsides of the battery. Then you have something to lift it out my. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside