How to: Fit a new clutch.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
VTRDark

Re: How to: Fit a new clutch.

Post by VTRDark »

Are they regular springs or heavy weight? When I get around to doing my clutch I will be going with a Barnett clutch kit.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/vtr_1 ... rk_series/ come with the heavy duty clutch springs apparently. link
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good write-up, did you soak the friction plates in oil overnight as per the instructions?

That swells the friction material, and might explain why your new ones slipped....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good write-up and good photo's Serlant :clap:

I hope you get to the bottom of the problem,

Chris.
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

I soaked them for over an hour and a half before installing them, the only thing I can think of is the oil I soaked them in was fully synthetic, not semi.
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

tony.mon wrote:Good write-up, did you soak the friction plates in oil overnight as per the instructions?

That swells the friction material, and might explain why your new ones slipped....

YEP. or leave the bike idling for half a hr before riding it. that works too.
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
Serlant

Post by Serlant »

rode it for over a week with the same issue, the first time I rode it it slipped. a week later it slipped exactly the same.
popkat

Post by popkat »

At the first sign of slipping i alway just replace the springs, doesn't cost much and fixes the problem, it seems clutch friction material rarely wears out, but the springs have alot of work to do. I've worked on loads of bikes for myself as well as for a living in the past and i can't remember the last time i fitted new friction plates, it's more often the springs worn especially Honda's that seem to need springs earlier that some other makes. If a clutch has been left slipping a while then a good inspection of the metal plates and a clean up with wet and dry usually fixes that too.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s