Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Taz69

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by Taz69 »

Right guys,

I have removed the front fairing, I'm going to remove the carbs as I may try and find someone to clean them in a ultrasonic bath.

Also I was hoping to remove the radiators to clean them up and paint the frames, give the whole bike a going over, fresh coolant etc, is there any issues with me removing the rads for a couple of days, also is there any tips I need to be aware of when refilling the coolant?

Thanks peeps
VTR1000 Firestorm in yellow, lubbly jubbly.
Life's only Fun when your doing a Ton.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Just run the engine for a minute with the radiator cap off.You should see some bubbles as the air gets passed around the circuit. Top the rad up and repeat the process, when no more bubbles appear put the cap on and job done :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Interestingly, (because it's a closed system and should have a constant volume) if you leave the cap off (don't open it when hot) and rev the bike to 2000 you will see the coolant level drop in the filler neck.
So it's good practice to do the final top up with the throttle open a little, then put the cap on and allow the revs to drop after the cap's on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
weldings

Post by weldings »

Hello there , Can anyone shed some light with my problem with manual cam chain adjusters ? I tried to fit the rear new manual cam chain adjuster today and it seems as if the bolt it too short , has hardly any thread left to adjust it .. I see photos of others being fitted and at least an inch of thread is sticking out .. Anyone help ? :)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

weldings wrote:Hello there , Can anyone shed some light with my problem with manual cam chain adjusters ? I tried to fit the rear new manual cam chain adjuster today and it seems as if the bolt it too short , has hardly any thread left to adjust it .. I see photos of others being fitted and at least an inch of thread is sticking out .. Anyone help ? :)
Whose manuals are you fitting? Kreiger, APE, Bazza and Ade Whitmarsh's CCT's > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=22720
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
weldings

Post by weldings »

Hello there , they are TrackStar cct233R .. I did contact them stating the problems and they were saying cam chain might be stretched ? Surely not that much ..?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

weldings wrote:Hello there , they are TrackStar cct233R .. I did contact them stating the problems and they were saying cam chain might be stretched ? Surely not that much ..?
Never heard of them - Have you a link to them? and if you have photos and some measurements that will help.

Where are you located? Try putting your location in your profile using your User Control Panel.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
weldings

Post by weldings »

Thanks for reply anyway ...They measure about 90mm o.d I'm sure they should be another 20 mm longer .. May resort to new original ones or make up some longer bolts..
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good to see my guide is still helping folk. Faviostar had me worried there for a while. What was the diagnosis outcome with that?

@weldings I've not heard of those manuals either. All manufactures will vary in length so don't go by looking at others. As long as there is enough thread to get the right tension and lock it off you good to go. A little shorter is not a bad thing as at least it's easier to get a spanner in without catching the rear master cylinder and/or engine earth strap.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cybercarl wrote:Good to see my guide is still helping folk. Faviostar had me worried there for a while. What was the diagnosis outcome with that?

@weldings I've not heard of those manuals either. All manufactures will vary in length so don't go by looking at others. As long as there is enough thread to get the right tension and lock it off you good to go. A little shorter is not a bad thing as at least it's easier to get a spanner in without catching the rear master cylinder and/or engine earth strap.
i ended up being very afraid lol. handed my bike back to a honda man who knows what hes doing. he gave me back my bike going better than ever :thumbup: .. in the end it appears mine had backed of a little.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

All is well then, thank fook for that. Yeh backing off is the only other explanation hence the importance of sealant /loctite and giving it time to dry before hitting the start button. The other time they can make some clunking sounds that sounds likes a bag of nails is if the timing is out and one only turned the crank halfway and stopped the first time the FT shows itself. The bike runs with out valves crashing but it don't sound good.

Good to hear things worked out for you in the end. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cybercarl wrote:All is well then, thank fook for that. Yeh backing off is the only other explanation hence the importance of sealant /loctite and giving it time to dry before hitting the start button. The other time they can make some clunking sounds that sounds likes a bag of nails is if the timing is out and one only turned the crank halfway and stopped the first time the FT shows itself. The bike runs with out valves crashing but it don't sound good.

Good to hear things worked out for you in the end. :thumbup:
thats pretty much how mine sounded but alls good again and going the very best :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

Great post on the subject. Think I'll leave it to an expert. Way too complicated for me!!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

VTRid3r wrote:Great post on the subject. Think I'll leave it to an expert. Way too complicated for me!!
Your local expert is Popkat...I'd sugest you get it sorted out ASAP.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRid3r

Post by VTRid3r »

MacV2 wrote:
VTRid3r wrote:Great post on the subject. Think I'll leave it to an expert. Way too complicated for me!!
Your local expert is Popkat...I'd sugest you get it sorted out ASAP.
It's on my list to do 1st. Popkat? I take it he is on here? Thanks.