Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
VTRid3r

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by VTRid3r »

VTRid3r wrote:
MacV2 wrote:
VTRid3r wrote:Great post on the subject. Think I'll leave it to an expert. Way too complicated for me!!
Your local expert is Popkat...I'd sugest you get it sorted out ASAP.
It's on my list to do 1st. Popkat? I take it he is on here? Thanks.
Ah yes. The wheelie bin man lol. Devons not too far from me. :) Thanks for the info :)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Bring it to the Devon weekend- I'll do it outside the pub for beer money.
And I have a pair of Bazza conversions looking for a home.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mike.kir

Post by mike.kir »

Hi Guys. This topic was a great help, thank you. I was able to fit manual cct's made by myself based on bazaas design. One thing bothers me, as I am no expert in V2, is if my VTR engine sounds correct. I know that our engines are bit noisy but I would be grateful if someone can check this vid and tell me if she sounds o.k. Thanks
:beer:
[youtube][/youtube]
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Sounds normal to me.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Me too that is the V Twin sound with a not so very loud deep thumping cans on. Are they standard?
==============================Enter the Darkside
mike.kir

Post by mike.kir »

Thanks for watching :) The cans are standard after bafflectomy. They are not very loud, but so much better sounding than baffled.
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

mike.kir wrote:Hi Guys. This topic was a great help, thank you. I was able to fit manual cct's made by myself based on bazaas design. One thing bothers me, as I am no expert in V2, is if my VTR engine sounds correct. I know that our engines are bit noisy but I would be grateful if someone can check this vid and tell me if she sounds o.k. Thanks
:beer:
[youtube][/youtube]
very quiet for a storm, you know if they are too slack or tight, because when I fitted mine I adjusted them with the bike was running, you understand what is meant by the chain guide screaming when they are set too tight, and chain rattle when too slack.
mike.kir

Post by mike.kir »

It's good to hear that my engine sounds o.k. :) I was measuring the slack of both chains using calipers, as described in this topic, so I don't know the noise of those being too slack or tight. I am a little paranoid about engine noises in all my vehicles :wink: so I just wanted to have an expert opinion
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

bazza696 wrote:
very quiet for a storm, you know if they are too slack or tight, because when I fitted mine I adjusted them with the bike was running, you understand what is meant by the chain guide screaming when they are set too tight, and chain rattle when too slack.
That noise when too tight is not the guide, it it the cam metal scraping the head in the journal bearing, because the tension on the chain has overcome the oil film preventing those two parts from being in physical contact under normal circumstances.
If left it will cause pickup and seizure, wrecking both head and cams.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Calcium1337

Post by Calcium1337 »

Hi all. Thank God this post is still active!

I have a few questions about the cam positions. I've set the engine to RT and checked that the rear cams are aligned correctly. I then turned the engine anti clockwise 1 and 1/4 turns to FT and checked the front. They are not aligned. I've turned the engine once again the FT and the front cams are now correct. Is my timing out by 180 degrees? I will double check tomorrow that I have turned the engine over correctly.

The reason I am checking the timing is that the cct broke recently on the previous owner and they have installed manual ones. Since the install the engine doesn't like holding constant throttle at low rpm. It surges and makes a clack sound and you can feel the cylinder thump. Accelerating is fine.... is this a symptom of the engine being 180 degrees out? Many thanks in advance!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Not a sign of 180 out as this affects the higher rev range more, but it does sound like you have messed up the timing from turning that extra turn until FT came back around. I suggest you start again and turn the 1 1/4 turn anticlockwise from the rear and keep it there. The FT will pass once and it's on the second time it appears that you stop. It doesn't have to be spot on and in fact most off them are slightly off by a few mm because of stretch in the cam chain from wear and tear.
Calcium1337

Post by Calcium1337 »

Thanks for the reply!

I've realigned the timing so that on RT compression stroke the rear cams are in the correct position with RE and RI markings lined up. Turned the engine anti clockwise 1 and 1/4 turns and the front cams are correctly positioned with FE and FI lined up. So i pretty sure the timing is now correct. Will turn over by hand a couples of times before turning over with the starter.

I'm going to try and get it all back together tonight and then test ride it in the morning. I'll report back if the symptoms have disappeared or not. If not I'll search for another thread as I'm confident it's not a timing issue now. Many thanks!
Calcium1337

Post by Calcium1337 »

Starts strongly and sounds more 'punchy'. Problem still exists though...but not as severe...

Thanks to all the posters in this thread. Some really helpful info here!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

After reading your post above again.
engine doesn't like holding constant throttle at low rpm. It surges and makes a clack sound and you can feel the cylinder thump.
This could be what is known as a carb fart. A slight bit of carb tuning may be order. Start with a carb sync, adjust the TPS and do another sync afterwards.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18430

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=29429

How far off was the timing mark on the front cylinder. Was it more than one tooth?
RedStormJ

Post by RedStormJ »

Dont worry this topic will never die. You got knackered f***ks like me wandering around drunk... Man I was pissed a few beers ago... I am just sober enough to ask this. Can I try to re time and slap in a manual cct? It may have been stoppered chain slipped a bit but I dont think anything hit. It just sounded weird. Pulled in the clutch same noise. shut it down and did the dumb dumb of turning it over but I dont think I bent a thing. intakes look good done have the exehaust off yet. I have to completely re time my cams for sure. No clunks.

Id guess I at minimum have to crack the caps and turn the cams around to the right spot then fix this cct. I wanna make a manual one out of the old girl but I am not sober enough to look at the moment.
And just to let you all know I asked a dealer with a vtr on rental if my engine sounded ok as I was sure the cct was going... I hate em... I hate em all