Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
macdee

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by macdee »

Here you go fabio
told you not to but oh no you knew better
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

Excellent guide VTRDark. I spent last night taking the bike apart and tonight will be fitting the MCCT's.

Just a couple of things worth mentioning that I didn't spot in the guide, not sure if my bike is slightly different to yours (it's a 98 model). Anyway, there were an additional plastic screw/fastener either side of the inner fairing that needed to be removed on mine in order to remove the front fairing as a single unit.

Also, with the tank, I had two additional breather pipes that had to be removed from underneath the centre of the tank . These were routed quite tightly down the inside of the frame so it seemed to make sense to remove them directly from the tank itself.

Oh, and that genny cover centre bolt, what an absolute bugger! The amount of force I had to use to loosen that off using the hammer and chisel method! I ended up using my wife's hair dryer to heat up the casing :-O
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

davebonline wrote:Just a couple of things worth mentioning that I didn't spot in the guide, not sure if my bike is slightly different to yours (it's a 98 model). Anyway, there were an additional plastic screw/fastener either side of the inner fairing that needed to be removed on mine in order to remove the front fairing as a single unit.
These are often not refitted as they can be a bugger to remove and refit. Just buy a load of cheap replacements on eBay and fit new ones if they stop working properly.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

Done the manuals now (though bikes not back together yet). The guide was invaluable so thanks VTRDark :) Really enjoyed the process of doing this and I reckon it would take half the time next time as I know what I'm doing now ;)

Biggest issues were the notorious generator centre cap (man that thing was seized!) and getting the front cam cover and gasket back on squarely. Luckily I had a competent mate helping me out which made life easier.

Favourite line/text from the guide: "Do not drop anything into the engine!"

Ha Image
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Yeh I don't use them lower trim clips on my fairing. There's a few little things I could change/add to the guide like remove the oil cooler bracket too which makes it easer to get the front cam cover off, but I need to leave a few little bits out for you guys to keep your mechanical brains functioning. :shh:
==============================Enter the Darkside
herr_martin

Post by herr_martin »

can anyone figure if my CCT went bad or is it something else? motor has 31000km
here is video:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

herr_martin wrote:can anyone figure if my CCT went bad or is it something else? motor has 31000km
here is video:
It sounds normal to me. Alles ist in ordnung.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bit of a high pitched ticking noise from the rear one. Could be an early warning sign. Either do the stopper mod or change to manuals.
Topzone

Post by Topzone »

Thanks for a helpful and great write up, it took me about 4 hours. All good apart from a split fuel hose putting the tank back on (the hose had gone hard) thanks.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

4 hours...well done that man :clap: :clap: If you ever have to do it again you will end up down too 2.5 h :wink: Glad to hear of another Storm saved from the help of this write up.
adewhitmarsh

Post by adewhitmarsh »

Good to here members are getting there ccts sorted out,saves a headach in the long run.
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

Hi,

Great guide set out for changing to manual CCTs, very detailed. I'm on changing mine now using this guide, but I have a query, hopefully it's not something I've missed in the procedure.

I've got to the point of fitting the Krieger MCCTs and the instructions that came with them mention making a locking key when removing the old auto CCTs, but this guide in this forum doesn't mention it. Am I missing something, or can I just cable tie the chain to the sprockets then simply remove the old tensioners and fit the new manual ones?

Sorry to be a pain or if the answer is obvious, I just don't want to make the slightest mistake.

Thanks.
popkat

Post by popkat »

Armortura wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 pm Hi,

Great guide set out for changing to manual CCTs, very detailed. I'm on changing mine now using this guide, but I have a query, hopefully it's not something I've missed in the procedure.

I've got to the point of fitting the Krieger MCCTs and the instructions that came with them mention making a locking key when removing the old auto CCTs, but this guide in this forum doesn't mention it. Am I missing something, or can I just cable tie the chain to the sprockets then simply remove the old tensioners and fit the new manual ones?

Sorry to be a pain or if the answer is obvious, I just don't want to make the slightest mistake.

Thanks.

The locking key is handy so you can see how far out the original tensioners were and set the new manuals close before installing, without the key it's no problem just remove the tensioner slow and even, make sure you follow the guide on setting up the cylinders before removing and you'll be fine.
times when you do need the key are if fitting new Auto tensioners or doing a stopper mod

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just undo the two bolts holding them in and remove them (don't worry about using key - but a cable tie on the cam chain to stop it jumping & skipping if timing is incorrect) - but only at the correct TDC. Install new manual tensioners and set the tension. Make sure you use some threadlock / silicone to prevent oil weeping out on the main bolt thread where is enters the tensor body.

Repeat on front cylinder
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

popkat wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:29 pm
Armortura wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:52 pm Hi,

Thanks.

The locking key is handy so you can see how far out the original tensioners were and set the new manuals close before installing, without the key it's no problem just remove the tensioner slow and even, make sure you follow the guide on setting up the cylinders before removing and you'll be fine.
times when you do need the key are if fitting new Auto tensioners or doing a stopper mod

Great, thanks :thumbup: