Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Armortura

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by Armortura »

Wicky wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:31 pm Just undo the two bolts holding them in and remove them (don't worry about using key - but a cable tie on the cam chain to stop it jumping & skipping if timing is incorrect) - but only at the correct TDC. Install new manual tensioners and set the tension. Make sure you use some threadlock / silicone to prevent oil weeping out on the main bolt thread where is enters the tensor body.

Repeat on front cylinder
Thanks!

I'm all set at TDC on the compression stroke according to the RT, RI and 'RE marks, so here goes.....

Cheers 😁
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

Last question.....promise.

When fastening down the new manual CCTs is there a specific torque for the 2x fixing bolts?

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Armortura wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:06 am Last question.....promise.

When fastening down the new manual CCTs is there a specific torque for the 2x fixing bolts?

Yes, but unless you have a very accurate tested and certified 1/4" drive tq wrench there is more chance of damage trying to torque them to a spec.
They are just an M6x1.0 fastener in aluminum so 10 NM is the spec, but "snug" with a small 1/4" drive ratchet is all that's needed.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

That'll do me, thank you for the quick reply 👍
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

Me again :crazy:

Re. nuts on the main MCCT shaft.

I know I'm being really pedantic, but I've a few bits of information that suggest putting the thin jam nut on first will be more resistant to becoming loose due to vibration than putting the thick nut on first. Anyone any experience of this?

Ta.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

If your talking about putting two nuts together it makes no differanc at all. It's the two mating surfaces as one nut is tightend onto another that stops the one below from working loose.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Ruddy

Post by Ruddy »

Worked my way through the guide and got to the cup of tea stage, finally got the cap off. Only hiccup was taking the wrong 8mm bolts out of the oil cooler bracket. Soon realised Image
IMG-20180809-WA0002.jpeg
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Armortura

Post by Armortura »

VTRDark wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:51 pm If your talking about putting two nuts together it makes no differanc at all. It's the two mating surfaces as one nut is tightend onto another that stops the one below from working loose.
Thanks VTRDark :thumbup:
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

All done per guide apart from putting the bike back together.

Question: on replacing the cam guides, do I need any kind of thread lock on the 3 bolts?

Thanks (again)

I've learned so much doing this, it's unreal.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I generally dont put any on the ones that run down through the cam caps and into the head but it does no harm if you do. I usually do put a little on the small 10mm bolt at the front. Tighten this up before fully tightening down the bigger ones in the cam caps and don't overdo these as they can snap so go easy and dont do them up to an exact torque as the bolts will have stretched with age.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:28 am I generally dont put any on the ones tha.......
That makes sense . Thanks VTRDark.
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

VTRDark wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:28 am I generally dont put any on the ones that run down through the cam caps and into ....
And would you use thread lock or the silicone?

Thanks.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I never use thread lock or silicon anywhere near the cap caps and bolts, just tighten properly and they stay out
Beware getting any silicon or thread lock in the oilways on the cap to head mating surface as oil starvation to the cams may result.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:57 am I never use thread lock or silicon anywhere near the cap caps and bolts, just tighten properly and they stay out
Beware getting any silicon or thread lock in the oilways on the cap to head mating surface as oil starvation to the cams may result.
Thanks tony.mon.

I ended up using a little (saw your reply after I'd done the job) on the bottom of the thread and made sure there was no excess anywhere. I'll wait until tomorrow to fire it up after giving everything 24hrs to cure.

Thanks for your help.
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

So that's Krieger manual CCTs fitted. It turns over by hand, but I got to admit I'm terrified of pressing the start button.

Thanks for the great help everyone.

:thumbup:
Attachments
20180811_143753.jpg