Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
MacV2

Re: Manual Cam Chain Tensioner Installation Guide (MCCT's)

Post by MacV2 »

I wouldn't start that...it's not pointing in the right direction... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

MacV2 wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:19 pm I wouldn't start that...it's not pointing in the right direction... :lol: :lol:
Ha ha.....I was hanging from the ceiling to take the pic 🤣
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

Fired it up and went for a ride.......all OK 👍
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Armortura wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 pm Fired it up and went for a ride.......all OK 👍
Glad all was well, well done :clap:

Chris.
Armortura

Post by Armortura »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm
Armortura wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:37 pm Fired it up and went for a ride.......all OK 👍
Glad all was well, well done :clap:

Chris.
Thanks Chris 👍
Saddlebackpig

Post by Saddlebackpig »

Right, first post. I bought a non runner 98 Yellow and black bumble bee VTR. Guy I got the bike from said the CCT had gone on the bike pulling away from traffic lights around 25-30 mph, but he knew what happened so didn't try and start it afterwards. So, after much deliberation and advice from various forums/groups etc on which route to take first (full strip down or not..!!) I've decided to follow this guide to replace the original CCT's for MCCT's and see how I get on (I might be lucky and not have any damage to the head or valves...).

I also know it was the front CCT that has failed as the rear looks in good nick.

Fantastic guide, top marks to VTRDark.

Having started with the rear CCT, I'm at PART TWO, the point where I'm cranking the engine anti clockwise. I'm struggling to find TDC, I can hear some strange rattling noise from the front CCT while cranking and sometimes get to a really stiff point where some gentle force is required to get it to move. I've decided not to proceed any further until I got some advice on the rattling noise. If anyone has had similar experience or can offer further helpful advice would be much appreciated.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As the timing chain has jumped the timing sprockets on the cams you'll need to reset the chain - and check that valves aren't bent (probably are) Check the clearances.. And replace bent valves(+guides) or source a good head and transplant that on.

Have you taken the spark plugs out?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Saddlebackpig

Post by Saddlebackpig »

Got everything off, plugs out. Put a camera inside and all looks ok. No visible damage to the piston head or the valves. So, my thinking is, there is minimum damage done as a result of the front cct failing. I don't have a replacement head yet, but, before I do that, my plan is to replace the tensioners with mccts, get the timing sorted, put everything back together and fire it up and see what happens.. What do you think?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If you time it correctly, you can do no damage, or further damage if there is any.
All it can cost you is another head gasket, if you have to pull the head off again.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Saddlebackpig

Post by Saddlebackpig »

Need some help... I'm starting Part Two of VTRDARKS guide. Rotating the crank anti-clockwise to line up the RT marks is proving really difficult. I think the front cam chain has slipped and I just hit resistance and can't go any further. I'm at a loss as to what to do next, can anyone offer any guide as to what I should do?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yours is the bike with the CCT failure? If so the timing needs to be reset.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Saddlebackpig wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:32 pm Need some help... I'm starting Part Two of VTRDARKS guide. Rotating the crank anti-clockwise to line up the RT marks is proving really difficult. I think the front cam chain has slipped and I just hit resistance and can't go any further. I'm at a loss as to what to do next, can anyone offer any guide as to what I should do?
Just take the cams out on both heads and start from scratch.
Keep the cam chains pulled up as you rotate the engine, a helper is useful here, and start from a tdc, doesn't matter which one, showing on the alternator marks.
Then install the cans for that cylinder, rotate the engine the correct number of turns to the second cylinder marks and reinstall the second cylinders cams.
Then check tensions, stick it back together and ride.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

This article is a priceless resource, so mods please feel free to delete this post.
I'm picking up a 2006 next week with 40,000km on it and the original CCT.
Stupid question; Do the CCT give you any warning before they sh1t the bed?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Nope no warning as auto CCTs work in binary fashion - the spring within the CCT has a nasty habit of failing and when it does it's not a pleasant noise...

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

VTRsquid wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:40 pm This article is a priceless resource, so mods please feel free to delete this post.
I'm picking up a 2006 next week with 40,000km on it and the original CCT.
Stupid question; Do the CCT give you any warning before they sh1t the bed?
For clarity, there are two, one for each cylinder.