Carb set up

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
8541Hawk

Re: Carb set up

Post by 8541Hawk »

I'm not sure where it is inside the tank but it is the small hose exiting the bottom of the tank.
The large hose is the overfill drain. So you try and see if can blow through the small hose which will tell you if there is something blocking the vent.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

I'm at work til 7 in the morning so I can't test our probable fix tonight. A few other side notes about this current bike. It get 35mpg and has noticeable more power than the 01 that got 40mpg with the exact same setup with the only difference being the 01 had low mount M1 exhaust and 18k miles. The 02 will snatch the front wheel up pretty quick where it was almost more than the 01 wanted to do. I will say out of all the bikes I have owned, the vtr will eat up a back tire faster than any other. Too much fun
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Explanation of How Petrol Tank Breather Works > http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=36828
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

ramer33 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:37 am I'm at work til 7 in the morning so I can't test our probable fix tonight. A few other side notes about this current bike. It get 35mpg and has noticeable more power than the 01 that got 40mpg with the exact same setup with the only difference being the 01 had low mount M1 exhaust and 18k miles. The 02 will snatch the front wheel up pretty quick where it was almost more than the 01 wanted to do. I will say out of all the bikes I have owned, the vtr will eat up a back tire faster than any other. Too much fun
May be the gearing has been lowered on this 02 bike :?:
Standard gearing is 16 tooth front sprocket and 41 tooth rear sprocket.

If it has been lowered it will put the speedo and odometer readings out without something like a speedo healer to correct it.

Chris.
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

Thanks a ton for the help and those pictures in that link of the inside of the tank are priceless. I am pretty confident I can clear that hole. My last 2 days off I had to work on a 4 wheeler for a buddy so I did not get to look at the superhawk yet. I am pretty confident that is the problem though. I remember seeing a silver coating in the tank. I did not think to check the sprockets but I am pretty sure the rpms at 75mph are the same as the 01. I will keep you posted.
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

Well....the tank is breathing fine, the hole was not covered. I have it tore down to the carbs again. Pulled the spark plugs and they look fine and fire great. It is just running pretty rough all around, hesitating and sputtering. I figured out the petcock plunger was too short and not ever shutting off the gas so I put the old one back on. It seemed like it was mostly letting gas out to the front carb and using the other for a vent but when I fixed it nothing changed. What next?
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

20210130_173221.jpg
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

20210130_173153.jpg
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

Here is what I have. Yes I know I have mccts on the way. The bike has 9k miles so I figured I am ok for the moment
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

ramer33 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:59 pm 20210130_173153.jpg
I could be wrong but by the pic it looks like you have the float bowl vents tied together instead on being open. On top of that the bowl vents should be pulled out of the carb stays as it can cause issues under hard braking.

ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

I was thinking those were overflow and yes they are tied together. I will take care of that. Maybe that is preventing gas from running into the carbs. So I must have the overflows capped off? Or there aren't any overflows? There is one cap on the rear carb and 2 on the front and all can be seen in the pictures
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

ramer33 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:24 am I was thinking those were overflow and yes they are tied together. I will take care of that. Maybe that is preventing gas from running into the carbs. So I must have the overflows capped off? Or there aren't any overflows? There is one cap on the rear carb and 2 on the front and all can be seen in the pictures
There really isn't an "overflow" for the fuel bowls. I guess they could serve that function but they are the breathers for the float bowls (you need somewhere for the air to be expelled as the fuel enters the bowl) . From the pics it's hard to tell if it has a straight fitting or a "T" in the line but either one could cause the issues you are having.

Even the small restriction of passing the line through the carb stay caused stalling under hard braking on the early bikes. So trying to run both carbs through one opening (if it is a "T" fitting) could cause major issue.

Personally I just removed the float bowl lines all together and just pointed the plastic fitting down and called it a day. It has been working fine for over 20 yrs now.

The other capped lines are vacuum taps and are commonly plugged with no issues. :thumbup:
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

It also looks like you have the engine breathers capped off. This will also cause you issues.
If you remove the plastic bottle and route the engine breather outside the air box you need to put some filters on the lines so they can vent pressure.

:beer:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You say you pulled the carbs apart, did you check the carb diaphragms for pinprick holes, by holding them up to the light and stretching slightly?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
ramer33

Post by ramer33 »

Yes those lines are connected to a T that runs to the front left side of the bike, i will just pull them off. I just put that cap on the engine breather to keep anything from getting in it while it is apart, they are still hooked up to the air box when I put it back together. Yes I checked the diaphragms for holes. Thanks for all the ideas.