Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Southwind531

Re: Standard Fork Upgrade Service Guide

Post by Southwind531 »

I'd like to extend my thanks for the guide. Thanks very much Carl!

I finally took the plunge and overhauled mine. The 'oil' that came out was around 50/50 oil & water. Looked like vanilla milkshake & smelt worse than Flipper's burp!

The only trouble I had was removing the fork tubes/stanchions (chrome part) from the alloy sliders. Despite putting a bar through the wheel spindle for some proper purchase in a vice, they were absolutely solid.

The top bushes were seized in the sliders & would not come out.
I didn't have access to heat, so used boiling water - 2 kettles worth - and they came out relatively easily.

Good Lord, what a difference! And thank you Mr Honda for making fork components that survive diluted oil for who knows how long.

I had some dents & roughness on the stanchions that may have worn the new seals prematurely. I used a smooth, round headed parallel punch to flatten the worst of these & some wet & dry to remove the other blemishes. They've been on for 500 miles & are bone dry.

All in all, a very worthwhile repair.

Cheers again all!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days nice to hear it turned out well :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Just done a rebuild with k tech linear springs and mods as per thread. I've a question like always😊. With the extended taper on the rebound needle should I aim for more than the 3/4 turn I've got on the adjuster? Its what I had before but I realised if I don't screw the compression adjuster down as far on the damper tube I get more adjustment. Overthinking, no effect etc? Cheers.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I'd suggest that you should be able to fully close the needle valve (just). I normally set the adjustment screw down into the fork cap until the tops are flush (or 2 1/2 turns in from fully out if your screw has a stop point). Then screw the fork cap down onto the rod until the needle JUST bottoms out. Hold the parts in place there, back the needle out 1/2 a turn and then tighten the locknut. That should put the cap/needle in the right place to get a full range of adjustment and to enable the needle valve to fully close.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

That will work though I have a little different "method"

Turn the adjuster in until flush and the dot is where you want it.
Back the adjuster out 2 turns
Install cap and turn in until it bottoms
Back off the cap 1 turn and use the adjuster to check this (should take exactly 1 turn for the adjuster to bottom)
Then tighten the lock nut
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

That's interesting gents, so if I understand I right I should be aiming for 2 turns adjustment. Seems like I've not had full range and I'm guessing they've been apart explaining the 3/4 turn I do have. With the thread pitch 2 turns would make use of the taper. Thanks.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I sent you a PM. Your not picking up your PM's.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Apologies, my phone signs me out so I dont see pms and I don't always sign in. I was still trying for 2 turns so will go back in and correct it, easy enough with a jack under the sump. Thanks for all that info, onto the sag now.
I've seen the Ablett writeup, didn't realise there was a fallout with Revolution.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

For folks considering what forks fit your yokes, here's a useful conversion guide I found: https://www.kiwavmotors.com/en/faq/abou ... size-chart
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Love being able to view the pictures again