Fitting a mini Bi-xenon HID projector

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Diabolus

Fitting a mini Bi-xenon HID projector

Post by Diabolus »

As we all know the standard storm headlight is pretty poor and looks dated,! wanted to improve the look,wont dazzle other road users, have a crisp white light that has hi-lo beam and pass the mot (with red devil eye disconected) the mini Bi-xenon HID projectors that are now available ticked all the boxes.

The 2 pics below says it all really.

Before

After
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
VTRDark

Re: Fitting a mini Bi-xenon HID projector

Post by VTRDark »

Where's the tutorial then, a how to. Or is that coming later.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

First thing is to get a kit, I have been looking for ones on ebay for a while and a uk seller put one up including Balast for £34 buy now. so snapped it up as not keen on waiting for stuff from china.

heres a link to the same unit = http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AC-35W-2-0-Ca ... 35d6b924ff

This is the one I got its 6000k bulb and Angel/devil eye

Was a bit surprised how much wiring there was to go with it but once I familiarised myself with what needs to go where its not so bad.

basically its
  • Red wire to + on battery
  • Black wire to an earthing point
  • 3 terminal block to plug into the block that goes on to the back of the standard storm bulb
  • 2 wires to conect to the sidelight wires.
Last edited by Diabolus on Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

a massive difference...... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Heres my step by step im tryin to keep it simple as we all know how to take the fairing off ect......

First job is to check current lights aim as I know this passed the mot, take a pic for reference and make sure you put the bike in the same position when you check the new unit aim.
Standard units aim

2. Removing the headlight unit from fairing by the 4 screws.I had trouble removing the screws because some wombles retard had used superglued as thread lock! The lower 2 i removed after cutting a grove across them and pouring boiling water over them and using a flat bladed right angled rachet screwdriver there were many choice words and at one point i thought I was gona lose it !! then had to epoxy resin one of the gromets back into the fairing that the screws fit into.

3. Once you have freed your headlight its going to need heating in the oven to loosen the silicon. read the next sentence twice because this is where people go wrong and ruin there headlight housing. Pre heat your oven to 180c then TURN IT OFF! its the turning off part people have not done. once the oven is OFF!
Place the headlight on a teatowel and place in the oven for 5mins.

4. Using a large flat blade screw driver pry the 2 halves of the unit apart.

5.This is to your own preference but I primed the now redundant reflector with some acid etch then a coat of satin black. I did wonder if you had one of the slower red, yellow etc coloured bikes if it would look good to spray the reflector to match.
With the projector fitted (make sure that the straight edge of the solenoid is going to be level, i did this by eye looking through the projector without the HID bulb in)
Last edited by Diabolus on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

6.After putting the lense half back in the oven as per step 3. I heated the reflector half using a heat gun (didnt want to put projector in oven)to soften the silicon once more and it all clipped back together quite easily.

7. There are 6 wires that need routing through the reflector they sit nicely in the cut out where the spring clip for the old bulb used to be they were separated with clear tubing which I removed and taped them up together.

8. Wiring, the long wire that needs to go the + of the battery I just ran along where the loom sits but did have to remove the inline fuse to aid poking it through gaps etc, then reconected it.
A

Tucked the relay in here where the coil pack used to live (i have cbr plug top coils )
B

Used the bracket that comes with the kit to attach the balast to the right hand side of the front sub frame via the m8 subframe bolt.
C
Last edited by Diabolus on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Earth point is via the bolt for bracket that holds the clutch line on the near side of the frame
D

The two black boxes are tucked in behind the clocks
E

The wires for the angel/devil eye wired to the sidelight via bullet conectors red to brown black to green (the live is brown i checked with multi-meter).
F

Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Put the fairings back on this is now trickier than before as you have several new connectors to connect. heres the look when fitted

side lights on and the angel ccfl ring is lit and a red glow to the projector.

main beam, only HID bulb and ring are lit
bright even on a sunny day.

The aim will be way out using the adjusters on the rear of the head light housing line up to the photo you took in step one.

I went for a 'shake down' last night and im very impressed. :thumbup: The distinct straight edge that is created by the solenoid in the projector is fun when leaning the bike over round bends ect as you can see the angle your reaching, the hi-lo works well, also the pass trigger. :beer:

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good write-up!

Going to have to think about doing this myself.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I must get my ass into gear and finish mine :(

Good write up :clap:
DorsetBoi

Post by DorsetBoi »

Great write up and pics, yet another job to add to the to do list ...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I wonder if it will pass an MOT like that, without a cutoff beam pattern?

Not too fussed, tbh, all it means is a swap to another headlight once a year.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

ECE Regulations for filament headlamps[5]
and for high-intensity discharge headlamps[6]
specify a beam with a sharp, asymmetric
cutoff preventing significant amounts of light
from being cast into the eyes of drivers of
preceding or oncoming cars. Control of glare
is less strict in the North American SAE beam

the above is taken from wiki-pedia.
The projector unit has a selonoid that toggles the cut-off for hi/lo beam so I presume that it will pass an mot.

ebenviljoen

Post by ebenviljoen »

I must admit that looks pretty awesome!! :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

the above is taken from wiki-pedia.
I wouldn't believe anything in wiki-pedia as anyone can input info to it.

Here's the VOSA MOT testing manual for more accuracy.
http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/d ... guides.htm

I think you will have to chuck a standard headlight in for the MOT I can see one failure straight away with the coloured (Red) lights on the outer ring.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside