CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Post by sirch345 »

METALDAN,
The favourite one is usually the pipe that operates the diaphragm. It is located behind the tap (the nearest one to the seat). It's meant to be fitted to the horizontal connection, not the drain off vertical outlet at the bottom of the tap.
Another favourite is, have you turned the tap back on :?:

Chris.
METALDAN

Post by METALDAN »

well thanks for your help mate, much appreciated

the pipe was on the wrong tap connection so hopefully thats cured it, problem now is flattery's bat, so i'll have to wait till tomorrow to try it

hope this cures it
Put me in an empty room with a brick and i'll either break it, lose it or hurt myself on it!!!
ImageImage
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

LOL, Oh my god, after reading all 8 pages on this thread i'm now sh*t scared of starting my bike up :wtf:

By the sounds of it you guys have come up with a solution to the CCT issues, if i was to buy some new tensioners would there be anyone kind enough to help me do the modifications to them and install them? (for a price of course)

I am in no way mechanically minded and this is the first VTR i have ever had and i really dont want to loose her!

I live in swindon!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Says "Swidon" on your details!

I just assumed you couldn't spell "Sweden", being foreign.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
chris1bev

Post by chris1bev »

LOL, I see your point.....it now says 'Swindon'
oldbikeman

Post by oldbikeman »

Hello Stormies
Did the stopper mod today at 9mm but don't like how tight these Honda tensioners run.I now think these things are just bad news.I do not really like using a fixed tensioner on one of these for road use (lots of variables) but I see no better option. Just bogged off about it.
Billinjah

Post by Billinjah »

Anyone got a link to the stopper mod can't find it mentioned in this thread.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

go to page 5 of this thread
AMcQ
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Sorry to open an old thread, but how do I get hold of Dave Greenwood to get some cct springs?

Cheers

Dave
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

davebrannigan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:54 pm Sorry to open an old thread, but how do I get hold of Dave Greenwood to get some cct springs?

Cheers

Dave
The last time he was active was 2008.He probably doesn't look at this site anymore.If he does he will no doubt get in touch.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Okay, so I have to admit that I'm confused. Seems like there were a couple of ideas about how to go about this fix, use a spring, or not, test it on an engine then post results etc. Did all this happen? What is the current best idea about how to address this problem, and which are the components to get hold of, and from whom? :eh:
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

I bought some oem tensioners from Japan and fitted the stopper mod covered elsewhere. Cost me £100.
I’ve since sold the bike as I got fed up with fuelling issues. Largest cv carbs honda ever fitted to an engine and they seem temperamental, especially compared to fi multi cylinder machines I’ve had previously.

Dave
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Or manuals from 35 quid.
There's no definitive answer, do your research on the knowledgebase and decide whats best for you.

I can't tell you what to do, nobody else should either.

Leaving originals in and waiting to see how your luck holds is another option.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

"There's no definitive answer, do your research on the knowledgebase and decide whats best for you."

Yes indeed, and my query was part of that very research that you rightly mention.

Seems to me that the idea of having a spring incorporated is desirable, but only if it can be relied upon not to fail. Intuitively I think that a wholly manual solution will put a side strain upon the chain and its associated bearings, as others have pointed out. There was mention of making a spring from valve spring type material, which seems a sound plan given the work rate of such springs in a hot environment, surely much greater than any adjuster might encounter?
However, am I right in thinking that springs don't usually need lubrication, because they are not a situation where one metal surface is sliding past another? If, as is so frequently mentioned, the adjuster spring fails due to lack of lubrication, then it is more likely due to the heat build up not being dissipated, due to lack of oil, rather than a friction, or cyclic failure?
I'm very new to this bike, just one week in fact, so it is extremely unlikely that my musings will solve an issue that has existed for so long, and seemingly thwarted the mighty, and full time, Honda engineers! As things stand atm, I'm leaning towards the mod that prevents extensive damage in the event of failure, rather than try to prevent that failure, but I know very little about it as yet. Task for tonight's research I reckon.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The idea of fitting a new spring in the OEM CCT's is not as simple as it may first appear. While I agree it seems like the perfect solution, it is not that easy.

The OEM CCT springs are pre-tensioned on assembly, so if you produce a brand new spring, most likely from a different material than the original spring (hardly any point in using the same material) how do you workout how much pre-tension the new spring requires to produce the same tension on the cam chain as the original did :?:

Chris.