CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

KarlosVTR wrote:the cct problem has wombles me off to the limit

im selling mine as soon as

bought some springs, installed them, worked fine for a week and now i have the rattle again
IMO I think you'll find the problem is that you've not got the correct tension set with the new springs :!:

Chris.
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

i did set the tension as per instructions

but im happy the bolt has done the trick. semi automatic adjusters

8)
stuav007

Post by stuav007 »

am ordering a set of springs from dave greenwood.....what other mod should i do at the sam time.....am i being stupid, but whats the bolt mod and where do i read about it ...have done a search but to no avail.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

stuav007 wrote:.....am i being stupid, but whats the bolt mod and where do i read about it ...have done a search but to no avail.
This is what Tony Wilde did to his CCT's, it's a bit more complicated than just sticking a longer bolt up the end with a lock nut :!:

Last edited by sirch345 on Sun May 13, 2007 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

your supposed to get permission before posting copy-righted material chris!! :o

but ill let you off!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Wildfire

Post by Wildfire »

Sirch345

I have to admit to being a bit of a numpty on these things :? - Am I right in assuming you use existing spring etc but the new M6x30mm bolt with locknut will stop the tensioner from retracting even in the event of spring failure?

Is this an easy replacement mod or will it require full re-timing etc?...I ask as I am paranoid about a CCT 'going' on me and this looks like a great fix....only my lack of mechanical talent means much more than oil & filter changes & chain adjustments and I am out of my confort zone :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.wilde1 wrote:your supposed to get permission before posting copy-righted material chris!! :o

but ill let you off!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah right :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Better you got here before me, it would have saved me searching through all those pic's looking for it :!: Most of us would have thought it to be in the 'Workshop' section, but no that was not the case :!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Best get your butt back here and answer Wildfire's question, as I'd hate to infringe on your supposedly copyright details :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wildfire wrote:Sirch345

I have to admit to being a bit of a numpty on these things :? - Am I right in assuming you use existing spring etc but the new M6x30mm bolt with locknut will stop the tensioner from retracting even in the event of spring failure?

Is this an easy replacement mod or will it require full re-timing etc?...I ask as I am paranoid about a CCT 'going' on me and this looks like a great fix....only my lack of mechanical talent means much more than oil & filter changes & chain adjustments and I am out of my confort zone :)
I'll let Tony answer your question seeing as it's what he actually did himself :!:

You can also read (if you've not already) what Delmeekc and myself came up with, and have done, from this thread. On page five I have posted a diagram,

Chris.
kingster

Post by kingster »

Here's a couple of ideas I have had on the subject...

kingster
tony.wilde1

Post by tony.wilde1 »

not much to add really,just make the bolts as per drawing and everything will be sorted...however the vtr i own now has no mods,cos the cct's were new with the engine when i got it :o ...ill get round to making my old bolt set up soon enough for piece of mind..when fitting the bolts make sure you dab the thread with silicone,or it'll leak oil!!hope this helps. :D
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

these are mine,i drilled & tapped a m6 bolt to take a m4 bolt down the middle of it,end of m4 bolt ground down to fit in worm,then just screw m6 bolt up m4 bolt & into cct,tighten m4 lock nuts, ive had these in my yellow storm for a year(8000 mls) & in my black storm for 4 months(2000 mls) with no problems & peace of mind :D sorry about picture quality.
kingster

Post by kingster »

VTRbob wrote:
these are mine,i drilled & tapped a m6 bolt to take a m4 bolt down the middle of it,end of m4 bolt ground down to fit in worm,then just screw m6 bolt up m4 bolt & into cct,tighten m4 lock nuts, ive had these in my yellow storm for a year(8000 mls) & in my black storm for 4 months(2000 mls) with no problems & peace of mind :D sorry about picture quality.
...but won't the bolt twist the worm drive as it locks into the slot?
VTRbob

Post by VTRbob »

kingster wrote:
VTRbob wrote:
...but won't the bolt twist the worm drive as it locks into the slot?
no m8, the thin bolt goes into worm & held with a spanner so it dont move,then the short bolt winds up the thin one & into the cct housing,nip that up & then the lock nuts on the thin bolt.
kingster

Post by kingster »

VTRbob wrote: no m8, the thin bolt goes into worm & held with a spanner so it dont move,then the short bolt winds up the thin one & into the cct housing,nip that up & then the lock nuts on the thin bolt.
Derrrr.. trust me not to fully read the post and only use the dodgy pic for reference ;-)

Now I see where you are coming from, similar to my "idea 1" then.

On the whole, I reckon the Dell/Sirch345 mod is probably easiest to achieve - without either a tap and die kit or a lathe at hand anyway!

Cheers

Kingster
KarlosVTR

Post by KarlosVTR »

hmm

make more of them there things bob

more specifically 1 for me
alan

Post by alan »

err im already in the que for them int that right bob :lol:

ps hope your wifes out the hosi and feeling better