CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
delmeekc

CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Post by delmeekc »

Well.

had idea number 200, made one tonight and stuck it in a VTR, not run it up (but cranked it over 50 times with a different test at each revolution), all tests so far ok with and without spring.

I am going to test a pair in a VTR in about 3 weeks with both springs removed and run the thing to the redline. (donor bikes please step forward for destruction testing)

If they hold, which they will then I can do a ride in - ride out modification for about £80 to £100. They will not need adjusting either at any point.

Del.
Fireman on a Storm

Post by Fireman on a Storm »

Sounds great, keep us posted!
Jaglifter

Post by Jaglifter »

Sounds promising. If it works you'll be a hero..........
She's my idea of beauty and thats what I ride.
essexbloke

Re: CCT Problem Solved (100% guaranteed)

Post by essexbloke »

delmeekc wrote:Well.

had idea number 200, made one tonight and stuck it in a VTR, not run it up (but cranked it over 50 times with a different test at each revolution), all tests so far ok with and without spring.

I am going to test a pair in a VTR in about 3 weeks with both springs removed and run the thing to the redline. (donor bikes please step forward for destruction testing)

If they hold, which they will then I can do a ride in - ride out modification for about £80 to £100. They will not need adjusting either at any point.

Del.
Ok, So my bike's a kebab now eh..... (doner) :wink:
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Hmmm Sound intresting.
I ve come up with a design that will work with springs or without. It's only on the drawingboard at the moment untill I can get my hands on my mates lathe.
I'll probably leave the springs in though cause I like the idea of them setting the chain tension.

Pete.l
delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

The springs will stay in but to do a proper test they need to be removed as I want to know that they will save the engine if the spring goes. It's the only way to test it properly. I will run the bike up and eventually rev it to about 9,500 rpm and then take it out and test it under load too to the same rpm with a pair of thick underpants on.

The original ones will go in the bin once I get them out of essexblokes bike.

Del.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Snigger :D
Glad I don't do your washing.

PM on it way
Johnny Wishbone

CCT Spring

Post by Johnny Wishbone »

What does the CCT spring look like?? I gather it's a Honda part so isn't just a bog standard spring??
Out of my way or I'll eat the lot of ye!!
tony.wilde1

spring

Post by tony.wilde1 »

here it is

http://www.abercon.co.uk/vtr1000/galler ... mpared.jpg

and all the rest of the cct too..
Johnny Wishbone

CCT's compared...

What's with the two CCTs?? :roll: So the spring is an extension spring then? Is that the little bugger that's causing all this hassle?? It looks a bit fragile alright.

So, let me get this straight, the root cause of all of the CCT problems is the spring failing right??
tony.wilde1

spring

Post by tony.wilde1 »

yes mate it is!!so by isolating the springs movement you prohibit the breakage risks!!ok..hence all the modded ones appearing!!but not by honda! :roll:
Johnny Wishbone

I see... Does anyone have an old CCT that they could drop in the post, I'd love to have a look at it. Come on RQ, you must have about 10 of them lying around by now :lol: Not trying to undermine anybodies efforts to fix this problem, just interested to see it assembled and working. In the picture, is that a sleeve that fits on the inside of the spring - if you were to take a section of the CCT along it's length the spring would be on the OD of the sleeve and inside the CCT 'housing'?? If so, what's stopping us from taking a shave of the sleeve (maybe a mm across it's dia.) to house a bigger spring, and get the likes of Lee Springs to make up a couple of hundred specials - just retrofit the puppies.
RQ

Post by RQ »

One in the garage and one halfway up the garden where it landed. I'll send you the spare. You might as well get used to looking at them!!!!!! :wink:
RQ.
The Stig of 2 wheels as well as 4 !
Johnny Wishbone

delmeekc

Post by delmeekc »

That'll be the ones, already married and I'm sure she will tell me not to bother with pants and fiddle with the cct's just before I go out. ka-boooom

Del. :?