cold starting issues

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
lloydie

Re: cold starting issues

Post by lloydie »

Bleh wrote:
Anyone played about with velocity stacks on here?

Actually, may be worth a thread and see what comes about...
Yes some of us have . And some of us still are .

Search moriwaki velocity stacks
Or dr honda velocity stacks
And have a read though my Dyno runs
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

UPDATE: Having initially thought the cold start issues were solved by using a decent battery and being quite pleased with myself, like a spoiled child, the bike has proved me wrong.

So... I have wracked my brains over and over, looked at the manual and wiring diagram tirelessly without being able to come to a solution. There just didn't seem to be a logical explanation as to why this keeps happening, or at least, I don't believe there is. Explaining this 'pickle' to a family friend, he says 'Les HAD the exactly same problem with his, he changed everything trying to get it right, changed the plugs, coils, filters, battery, cleaned the carbs, everything, he tried everything he could think of.... do you know what it was? The starter motor!!!'.

" :wtf: ARE YOU ON ABOUT?" I said, "it seems to turn over fine, just doesn't like starting
sometimes but once it's going it's fine!"

From there he told me again, Les was having exactly the same symptoms, tried everything and only tried the starter motor as a last resort in case the bushes were wearing thin but not obviously. If that didn't work, he was going to sell it so it really was a last resort attempt.
I'm told the guy hasn't had an ounce of starting issues since he changed it...

So I've ordered one today and hopefully will get it tomorrow and a quick change on the weekend... If it doesn't work, my mate will be having a quick visit from me for a :Ball Kick:
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

Bleh wrote:Sounds similar to some of the starting issues I've been having. Over the past week I've thought sod it, spend some cash and give the bike some much needed attention so here's what I did...

Bought genuine CCT's (don't shout at me, my training engineers mind made me do it!!) and replaced accordingly whilst replacing the two inspection cover bolts.
Oil and filter change with some Motul 5100 series 10/30 (I've been told by many boffins that Motul is the best out there for the money).
Put some Delkevic cans on (which may be a bit loud even with the baffles they supplied in)
Stripped and cleaned carbs which I pre-balanced with a vernier (and coincidentally managed to get spot on) turning from pilot 2.5 times and the rear 2.75 times... The manual suggests 2.5 front and rear but have read the rear benefits from that little more.

Even after all this, it was still grumping starting unless I put the optimate on it for a few hours. A fully charged battery helped start it after a few attempts but if it didn't start after say four attempts, the battery starts to lose power to turn the lump over so yesterday I decided to look at what battery was in it - some power thunder made in china crap (nice one previous owner!!!). Straight over to M&P's I trotted and bought a Yuasa to put in it which is now fully charged and will be going in this morning.

The thing with cheap/ budget batteries is their ability to deliver the amps required consistently and at colder weather and their ability to hold a good charge. Basically they're pants and best avoided like the plague. When you're expecting the battery to not only deliver enough power to turn over your large twin but also feed the coils and convert to an extremely large number of volts to the spark plugs, you should use a quality battery to do it with...

I've tried using two budget batteries in the past, firstly on my mk1 TDM 850 (how I miss that bike :cry: ) and had nothing but trouble with it. If I didn't use the bike for three days, you could almost guarantee to have problems starting/ charging/ holding charge and didn't last 5 months even. And again on my CBR street/ ratfighter. Not as many issues as with the TDM but had to put it on the optimate on an every other day basis at least. It lasted about 8 months before it just wouldn't hold charge anymore so a trip out for a meal would put doubt in your mind if it would start afterwards.

Anyway, after all that blabbing, I really hope that I see an instant benefit from putting a reputable battery in it...
From all the above work you have done I don't see any work done on the starter motor itself. As mentioned in this thread it is well worth a look.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside
2wheelsagain

Post by 2wheelsagain »

Bleh wrote: Put some Delkevic cans on (which may be a bit loud even with the baffles they supplied in)
Could I have a look at these please? I'm about to order a pair of Delkavic carbon cans 14 inch. I want loud but not excessive. What's the quality like too?
It may only be my opinion but it's mine!

~ My Bikes 2014 VFR1200F & 2000 VTR1000F ~
Tam Cunningham

Post by Tam Cunningham »

2wheelsagain wrote:
Bleh wrote: Put some Delkevic cans on (which may be a bit loud even with the baffles they supplied in)
Could I have a look at these please? I'm about to order a pair of Delkavic carbon cans 14 inch. I want loud but not excessive. What's the quality like too?

I'd be interested in seeing these as well. Watching some just now on Fleabay.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

14" eek they will be loud
darkember

Post by darkember »

Tam Cunningham wrote:
2wheelsagain wrote:

I'd be interested in seeing these as well. Watching some just now on Fleabay.
Warning they are really loud 8O . May be better off with the SS ones as these bikes are know to shred carbon cans.
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

Weather permits, I'll get the starter motor done tomorrow (assuming it turns up today as promised) and maybe put a video up on youtube. I noticed when I was looking that there wasn't any decent quality clips up - people either in their garage or sticking their phone down the exhaust... but even then, the mic on the phone could be an issue, but I'll have a go.

Personally, I like the look. I like the sound too... Doubt I'll run it without the baffles though. Nice little kit for the money.
I'm not death to power tools... If it breaks, it's obviously NOT a power tool!!!
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

So... Initial impression is good. Changed the starter this morning, took a max of ten minutes to do and not having started the bike in a week and with it being exposed to the ever so friendly elements that most of us have been blessed with, I was expecting a little bit of agro getting it started, BUT, it fired up first turn!

Don't count your chickens as they say but initial impression is positive. I'll try to remember to leave an update in a week as to how it's been (assuming I get to use it with more undesirable, un-rideable weather being forecast this week).
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good news! - Keep the connector bolt underneath the rubber hood greased up to keep the winter crud out.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

Wicky wrote:Good news! - Keep the connector bolt underneath the rubber hood greased up to keep the winter crud out.
Handy tip - will grease it up a bit later!

p.s. Will be putting a thread up with a youtube link for the cans shortly (as per request, sort of!). Will put it in the bike chat section.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

it fired up first turn!
Good news :thumbup:

+1 on keeping the starter connection greased up to prevent corrosion.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Bleh

Post by Bleh »

Final Update (hopefully):

So since putting on the new starter motor on saturday morning, it's been cold and wet on every attempt and hasn't failed to start first time. Not to jinx it but we seem to have hit the nail on the head!!