Judder from front brake

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
lloydie

Re: Judder from front brake

Post by lloydie »

scapaflyer wrote:I understand the concept of pulling. However with the damper jammed against the tube so that it could not turn I thought would of done the same thing.
Just trying to work out how I can exert enough pulling force to lock it out with what I have as I am about 15 miles from my nearest garage on a remote part of the island.
To be honest with the damper jammed against the fork tube and the bolt turning with very little resistance, it is beginning to feel like there are no threads left on it.
Oh god I hope that is not the case but the damper was jammed tight to the extent it has dented the outer edge.
I am now beginning to think the damper will probably need replacing.
Oh well you pay peanuts and you get monkeys and I do love peanuts
Sounds like the valve is turning in the damper tube .
If you drill the head off the bolt and do what I did in my last post the damper can be saved :-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Err IIRC you can't slide the stanchion out with the damper in place.

Put the fork leg back together as you need the fork cap in place, then tighten the compression on the compression adjustment to max so the spring pushes downward force as much as poss. You then need to pull upward forces on the stanchion or do it the other way and pull the leg downwards without the opposite end moving. Then undo the hex head bolt. Rattle gun would do it. If not you may need an impact driver.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh you defo can't remove the stanchion without removing the damper first as the small spring and top of the damper get in the way. They want pass through the bottom of the Stanchion. When I rebuilt my forks I put the damper in first only to realise afterwards I couldn't get the Stanchion back in :lol: so out it all came again, so I could put the Stanchion in first.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

It's blade forks Carl .
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is it..Oh, there goes that idea then. :lol: :lol:

Just been back through the thread. No mention of Blade forks :confused

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

My bad in getting my threads mixed up :Ball Kick: carry on nothing to see here :-(
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol:

Your getting confused with our E Sussex racer friend. Everyone seems to be getting front end knocks at the moment, including you. WTF is going on.

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Need some more pills me thinks !
It's been a good season with a lot if hard riding and it's taken it's tole me thinks .
Or our roads are just fecking them up
scapaflyer

Post by scapaflyer »

Not blade forks I afraid
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

scapaflyer wrote:Hi guy, I have just taken delivery of my 99 plate VTR and on the whole I am over the moon with it.
However there is one problem that needs to be sorted, that is the fact that under slow speed braking there is is a judder from the front end, as if there is play in something.
There is no judder when braking from high higher speeds, there is no play in the headstock and seems to be none in the forks, also there is no pulsing in the lever when braking.
The fork seals were done just before I bought the bike and I assume the oil was changed at the same time, but I feel that the front end maybe a little soft.
I am interested in any help you can give both with the judder and the best way to set up the front end.
Many thanks in advance.
Mick
Scapaflyer
Did you sort this out scapaflyer?

Did you find out what was causing the judder? I ask because I have been on my bike today and the judder is really annoying...