Starting issues update

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rlong

Starting issues update

Post by Rlong »

So I decided that with battery and charging system all ok that I would check the TPS, it read 540ohms, however there was no 5v input from ECU. I followed wiring to ECU and tested for continuity, all good so according to Haynes this means a new ECU.
MacV2

Re: Starting issues update

Post by MacV2 »

Rlong wrote:So I decided that with battery and charging system all ok that I would check the TPS, it read 540ohms, however there was no 5v input from ECU. I followed wiring to ECU and tested for continuity, all good so according to Haynes this means a new ECU.
Don't buy new I have one for sale !
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Rlong

Post by Rlong »

Hey Mac V2, I've looked on eBay but none match the last part of the code, I'm unable to pm you cos lack of posts. The code on my 1999 ecu = MBBA ED 001A 8408.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Rlong wrote:Hey Mac V2, I've looked on eBay but none match the last part of the code, I'm unable to pm you cos lack of posts. The code on my 1999 ecu = MBBA ED 001A 8408.
Rlong check your PM's I sent one to you. You will be able to read it but not reply...click on the ( 1 new messages ) at the top of the page.

Mac
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
dumpertruck

Post by dumpertruck »

Hi. Have you sorted it. I've just bought a storm and mines exactly the same. Turns a little slow. Sometimes it fires strait um. Others it just turns and if you pull the choke out it slows down almost like the timings over advanced.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's a funny bike, they all seem to like to start differently- some max choke even when warm, some (like mine) don't need more than half choke in the snow.

You'll get used to the best way to get yours running, but slow starting can mean the main starter lead starting to fail, and not carrying the current properly, and the starter motor connection post (the bolt where the lead connects) corrodes, again causing slow starter motor turning.
Put a voltmeter on, and you can see what the cranking volts are- it can easily drop to 8 volts or so.....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.