Firestorm F3 starting issue

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
13yearsVTRrider

Firestorm F3 starting issue

Post by 13yearsVTRrider »

I have owned this machine since 2007 and apart from a duff battery have never has problems starting.
It now has 74000 miles on the clock.
Recently, instead of firing instantly on cold start-up, it can take up to 10 seconds continuous cranking before it fires.Fitted new plugs and cleaned leads /caps/coils/terminals etc which made no difference.
I have checked the vacuum -actuated fuel tap for a loss of vacuum and this is ok.
I have yet to check the choke needle valves.

Has anybody out there had a similar problem?

Apart from resetting the throttle pot to 500ohms from 892ohms and the Scorpion exhaust it is standard.
The only thing out of the ordinary( before this problem) appeared after I changed the throttle pot setting. On cold start, it backfires out of the exhaust before firing up properly, which could indicate over-retarded ignition.I fitted a new Engine Coolant Temperature sensor some 20000 miles ago as its resistance at 80degrees was too high.Maybe this needs replacing again - it could be wrong at 20degrees which might explain the starting problem.
Otherwise it's arguably one of the best road bikes ever made ( apart from the timing chain tensioners which I change every 15000miles).
Wicky

Re: Firestorm F3 starting issue

Post by Wicky »

it can take up to 10 seconds continuous cranking before it fires
How old is the battery? Cold weather can find tired ones out. You should have with a later model a higher amp/h battery than early 97-01 VTRs - Motobat battery is a good replacement. Also how long is it left between starting & running it as it can generally need a trickle charge top up if left more than a fortnight or so if stored up.

Check battery terminals are clean & tight and vaselined. On the starter motor check under the rubber hood for corrosion on the bolt/lead.
On cold start, it backfires out of the exhaust before firing up properly
Probably all the petrol sucked in when cranking going off! Must be close to flooding it.

Try turning it over on the starter for a couple of seconds without choke / no throttle - leave it 30 seconds – 1 minute for the battery to gather itself, then try again with choke on and see if it chunters into life.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Just to add on from Wicky's post, did you check the starter motor live terminal connection when you mentioned terminals in your post :?: they are prone to causing starting issues if not maintained properly. I agree with Wicky on the condition of the battery it may be past it's best. Also with the mileage and depending on how much the starter has been used, the starter motor may need a service,

Chris.
popkat

Post by popkat »

If starter motor check out ok and you still have the problem do a compression test
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
13yearsVTRrider

Post by 13yearsVTRrider »

Thanks guys, but the starter and battery are ok - the battery is the biggest I can get into the available space. I had problems with it running down with the standard battery but this doesn't happen now.
The bike is used daily for a 125mile round trip - hence the high mileage.
I'll try cleaning the starter terminal though just in case.
As a matter of interest I use 15w40 oil in an effort to reduce the oil consumption - maybe the cold weather tips the balance. Having said that, the cranking speed is good.
I wondered if the HISS system has anything to do with it - I tried the spare key but it made no difference.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

15w40 oil in an effort to reduce the oil consumption
Surely effective lubrication should dictate and take precendence on choice of oil? Storm should be prettywell oil tight. My '97 at 65,000 miles doesn't use any between oil changes

Are you in the northern hemisphere (winter) or downunder (summer)? is the 15w40 a motorcycle specified oil or car oil?
I wondered if the HISS system has anything to do with it - I tried the spare key but it made no difference.
:confused
Here's Chevron explanation of the differences between 10W/40 and 15W/40;

What is better a SAE 10W-40 or an SAE 15W-40?

Using the simple rules above it is clear to see that both of these oils have a similar high temperature viscosity as indicated by the '40'. However the 10W-40 is a thinner oil than the SAE 15W-40 at cold temperatures. Simply apply the rule that the lower the 'W'; number the thinner the oil. The SAE 10W is lower than the SAE 15W and hence is a thinner oil. Therefore in cold temperatures we can state that the SAE 10W-40 oil is better than the SAE 15W-40 oil. In winter the end user may experience a benefit by moving from an SAE 15W-40 oil to an SAE 10W-40 oil.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

The only way you're going to find out if the 15/40 oil is having an adverse effect on starting in the colder weather is to go back to the recommended oil. If your bike was burning oil, then doing what Popkat suggested of a compression test sounds like a good idea to me,

Chris.