battery recharging

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rlong

battery recharging

Post by Rlong »

With a meter attached to the battery, when I increase the revs the voltage reading drops... is this right?? Also every other bike I've owned the headlight brightens when the bike is revved, this one stays the same brightness. Confused. P's I have replaced the reg rec to a Honda finned one.
popkat

Re: battery recharging

Post by popkat »

What meter readings are you getting ? Need to know the range. Check connections to the battery and starter solenoid.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Some useful links for you. :thumbup:

Regulator Rectifier Charging System Diagnosis Checks

yet another reg/rec question
Check connections to the battery and starter solenoid.
Agree. This sounds like a dodgy connection somewhere. Headlight is a give away.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote:What meter readings are you getting ?
+ 1

Give us a reading at the battery after the bike has been stood over night before starting. Another reading with the engine running and lights off, and another with the engine running with the lights on.

Also if your old un-finned rectifier failed, your battery and alternator could have suffered damage,

Chris.
Rlong

Post by Rlong »

Left bike overnight..v batt =13.0..engine running lights off..v batt =14.50...engine running lights on v batt =14.1.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Rlong wrote:Left bike overnight..v batt =13.0..engine running lights off..v batt =14.50...engine running lights on v batt =14.1.
Those figure don't seem that far off to me, although I thought the voltage reading would have dropped a bit more when you turned the lights on with the engine running.
How's the bike performing now including starting etc :?:

Anyone else care to comment on those voltage readings :?:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A little low with the lights on as if something is drawing power. Otherwise those readings are not too bad for a non MOSFET. Have you got an alarm on the bike by any chance?

As I previously suggested check your connections particularly the R.R earth and the positive feed from the battery to the starter relay on the side of the subframe. Give them a good clean up and apply a bit of petroleum jelly to the connections. The ignition switch is another area for currant draw so it may be worth taking the front fairing off and checking your connector blocks up front. Give them a clean up too. Then check you voltages again. Do your voltages rise at all when you give the bike a rev?

Otherwise the battery may just be getting a bit old and tired. This time of year will take it's toll on batteries and the charging system.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Rlong

Post by Rlong »

I have replaced the battery about a month ago. Think I will take your advise and look behind the front fairing as I have already checked the starter solenoid and reg rec earth, both are good. Many thanks for all the advise and suggestions.