Front sprocket removal

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
BrianC

Front sprocket removal

Post by BrianC »

Part way through drive chain and sprocket replacement so I had bike on paddock stand on my bike lift. Put a tie down strap to hold rear brake on but still can't undo front sprocket bolt as wheel spins against the rear brake.

What have other people done ?
MacV2

Re: Front sprocket removal

Post by MacV2 »

BrianC wrote:Part way through drive chain and sprocket replacement so I had bike on paddock stand on my bike lift. Put a tie down strap to hold rear brake on but still can't undo front sprocket bolt as wheel spins against the rear brake.

What have other people done ?
Before you remove chain...!!!

With bike in gear... Don't bother with the rear brake on this method.

Use a 2x2 bit of wood/metal bar/long pry bar.

Wrap said 'bar' of choice in cloth/old towel/rugby shirt. To protect wheel & swinger.

Push through wheel on top of swingarm, so that when wheel moves as you turn nut, it the wheel spoke will touch the 'bar' & lock up the gearbox.

The nut on the front sprocket is quite highly torqued on. Use a long breaker bar for extra leverage. If you don't have a long one, slip a length of pipe/scaffold pole over the breaker bar.

Once you have cracked the nut, use a ratchet as normal.

I have a 2' long 1/2 breaker bar for the nut & use a nice long pry bar on the wheel locking duties.

Reveres procedure when re tightening...The chain has to be on to do this of course, so just do the nut up as far as it will go, put the chain on...then move onto the locking the rear wheel up, this time put the 'bar' through so that it is underneath the swinger, as the wheel will turn the other way when tightening.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Just checked torque on front sprocket nut is 108nm !

So its on tight.

In the PDF manual its referred to as the '' Final driven sprocket nut 5 12 108(11.0,8O) NOTE 7'' (108 is Nm, 11.0 is kgf-m & 80 is lbs-ft )

Ignore this its the rear sprocket bolts...

Its this...

ENGINE MOUNTING:
Drive sprocket bolt 1 10 54 (5.5,40)

54 Nm

Ta Sirch for pointing it out... :oops: :oops:
Last edited by MacV2 on Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

or you could do what carl did, and ride without the front sprocket retaining bolt..... :eek2
:lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

As per usual guys - many thanks.

Maybe get done Sunday - Manchester bike show tomorrow, hopefully get a bargains chain/sprocket set !!!!

Plus lots of other VTR goodies - my blade is getting very jealous !!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote:Just checked torque on front sprocket nut is 108nm !

So its on tight.

In the PDF manual its referred to as the '' Final driven sprocket nut 5 12 108(11.0,8O) NOTE 7'' (108 is Nm, 11.0 is kgf-m & 80 is lbs-ft )
I think the front sprocket bolt is only 54Nm Mac, it's the rear sprocket nuts which are 108Nm,

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote:
MacV2 wrote:Just checked torque on front sprocket nut is 108nm !

So its on tight.

I think the front sprocket bolt is only 54Nm Mac, it's the rear sprocket nuts which are 108Nm,

Chris.
I slouch corrected Chris...it is indeed...

ENGINE MOUNTING:
Drive sprocket bolt 1 10 54 (5.5,40)...The 1 in this line referes to the number of...So therefore the 5 in the above are infact the rear sprocket bolts... :redface
popkat

Post by popkat »

Front sprocket bolt should not be very tight, they're normally easy to undo.

80ft/lb on the rear sprocket nuts seems a lot, sounds like a possible manual error to me, they're only m12 nuts(I think). I know R1/Fazers have wrongly quoted rear sprock nuts at about 75 ft/lb and people have snapped the bolts before.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You can jam a socket between a tooth on the sprocket and the swing arm boss, nothing else is strong enough around that area.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

popkat wrote: 80ft/lb on the rear sprocket nuts seems a lot, sounds like a possible manual error to me, they're only m12 nuts(I think). I know R1/Fazers have wrongly quoted rear sprock nuts at about 75 ft/lb and people have snapped the bolts before.
Funny you should say that Popcat, I thought exactly the same, 108Nm seemed extortionate to me as well. I even posted a thread about it back in 2006 8O Take a look here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7455

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It should be noted that pro bolt ally or similar nuts will not tighten up that much and will end up ripping the thread unless like in the above link where Stormin Ben's nuts are steal limned. I do them up by feel as much as poss and also locktite them.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside