Intermittent fuel/poss electrical fault

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
dpacitti

Intermittent fuel/poss electrical fault

Post by dpacitti »

Hi folks. New on here. Done the manual cct conversion last week following cybercarls instructions. Good clear instructions. Job done. Since puting it all back together I'm getting an intermittent fuel or electrical fault. When it kicks in it's usually when it's under heavier load or acceleration. Sometimes it's just a flat spot and sometimes it's like it's running on 1 cylinder, sometimes clears and other times revs die and conks out. Retraced all steps to double check. Only thing initially wrong was vaccum pipe on fuel tap was on the wrong housing into the tap itself and bike wouldn't even run properly on idle in garden. Changed that around and bike ran fine till 10 mins in on a run and this intermittent fault started. New plugs and a fuel treatment done also. Any ideas welcome.
VTRDark

Re: Intermittent fuel/poss electrical fault

Post by VTRDark »

A couple of things. Check you carbs are seated correctly in the inlet rubbers. Another things to check, and it sounds silly, but the HT leads. Make sure these are pushed on all the way, especially the front cylinders. They have to kinda double click into place and sometimes take some force to clip on all the way down.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
dpacitti

Re: Intermittent fuel/poss electrical fault

Post by dpacitti »

Hi Carl, it ended up being the fuel tap. I had taken apart to check diaphragm and spring as a last resort as I had double checked everything. When I rebuilt it I had done so with the back plate rotated 90 deg in error meaning the vacuum pipe was pointing down instead of to the side. Such a simple thing to create such problems. All fixed running like a dream no flatspots. Happy days.