Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
madmax

Re: Bent valves? VTR 1000 cylinder head rebuild service

Post by madmax »

yes, cams have been removed in pictures.
Bite my shiny metal ass
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

3 defiantly but it's looking like 4. Piston is all good, there looks like a slight indentation on the top right of the pic but nothing to be too concerned about. It will soon fill with carbon deposits. You got lucky.

It could have been worse

==============================Enter the Darkside
madmax

Post by madmax »

thats nasty guessing that was a automatic tensioner failure too?

I think at this stage I've gone as far as I want to and I am at my limit now am not keen on the idea of going any further myself and think I need Tony's help. I'd love to have a go at replacing myself but I think I rather pay Tony and get it done right first time as worried I may rock something up with the replacing valves/shimming etc and am keen to get the hog back on the road. Suns out and its rally season and still got to finish my wing indicator mods and re spray!

If your listening Tony inbox me please and let me know what I need to do to get the bits to you. If you dont have valves I can get some delivered direct to you maybe?..........I can't message yet as still a way off making 50 posts!

Thanks again.
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

madmax wrote:thats nasty guessing that was a automatic tensioner failure too?

If your listening Tony inbox me please and let me know what I need to do to get the bits to you. If you dont have valves I can get some delivered direct to you maybe?..........I can't message yet as still a way off making 50 posts!

Thanks again.
No, it was a dropped valve or three!

You can ship me your head and I can rebuild it.
I have spare inlet valves but no exhausts left so they'll have to be new ones, unless someone has a pair of spare exhaust valves they want to sell you?

I can pm you my contact numbers and address.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Thanks Tony.

Must of made a noise when that went!

I have replied and will ship this week. If I cant get valves on here I can buy some and get them sent to you no problem. Think I will let you look at the casing before I jump the gun I dont really want to remove them our lass will kill me if she finds anymore more bike parts in the house, I already have a 1979 z1 hidden in the cupboard! Not sure how to ask on the forum in the wanted section for valves as I need 50 posts in order to post on that section!?

I will let you know when its been dispached, thanks again.
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Don't worry about valves, I found another spare head with some in so I have a full set.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Thanks Tony you must have a few bits lying around!

i looked up courier earlier today and will get it off in either tomororrow or Wednesday.depending on when they collect but will confirm tomorrow. Just need to gigure out how to courier proof it!
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

OK.
Just make sure the studs don't get bent.
madmax

Post by madmax »

I am going for a box inside a box approach I know how good these couriers are at breaking things. I did notice one of the shims is missing. must of happened when the caps fell out. My other half stood on the peice of wood the cylinder head was resting on I caught it no impact but the caps fell out when it rotated! (A very close shave)

I think I need to get my mole grips on one of the snapped exhaust bolts too before I box it. I had to grind the head of it in order to remove the exhaust but there pleant left to get the grips on.

I will be dispacting it Wednesday on a 48 hour courier so should be with you on Friday!
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

madmax wrote:I am going for a box inside a box approach I know how good these couriers are at breaking things. I did notice one of the shims is missing. must of happened when the caps fell out. My other half stood on the peice of wood the cylinder head was resting on I caught it no impact but the caps fell out when it rotated! (A very close shave)

I think I need to get my mole grips on one of the snapped exhaust bolts too before I box it. I had to grind the head of it in order to remove the exhaust but there pleant left to get the grips on.

I will be dispacting it Wednesday on a 48 hour courier so should be with you on Friday!
If you get the stud out I'll fit a replacement one foc.
madmax

Post by madmax »

If you get the stud out I'll fit a replacement one foc.
Can this site get any better! Thanks Tony
Bite my shiny metal ass
madmax

Post by madmax »

Hey Tony

Looks like I wont be despaching that head to you until after the weekend, extracting that sheared exhaust stud is proving more difficult thn I first thought it would be, soaked it cleaned it and moley's wont touch it so taking it into work at the weekend to get the mig on it and weld a new head on it so I can get it out hopefully with out snapping it flush!

Want to get it out before I send it on to you just in case it causes me hassle after having the work done on it!

I'll keep ya posted!
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ok. If you have too much trouble I have spare heads; I can build one of those up instead. Is it front or rear?
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good luck with getting the studs out,

Chris.
madmax

Post by madmax »

I ve had to remove a few broken bolts in my time. Dont want to jinx myself but welding a new bolt head on usual works so hopefully will get it out. watch this space!

On another note I locked my keyes in my car at the weekend so had a look on the MKIV forums for the best soloutions to the problem after reading through around 60+ posts of people being idiots telling people asking for advice to smash windows and use the spare key (most of these comments either sarcastic or intentioanlly trying to mislead/get people who did not know any better to make the problem worse) I came to a soultion.

Long story short it made me think of this site, wether its just a biker thing or not credit to you all, everyone I have spoken with has been very helpful and its nice to know there are so many like minded people out there.

Oh it's the front head!
Bite my shiny metal ass