Bent valves? Thread hijacked, so closed for replies

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
tony.mon

Re: Bent valves? VTR 1000 cylinder head rebuild service

Post by tony.mon »

Have you got the vacuum hose connected and blanked off?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Whats a vacum hose :D

No I dont all hoses are just hanging and the carbs not on yet. Could that cause it to only make that noise on the rear cylinder and not both? Whats bothering me is both cylinders dont make the same noise.

I think the penny may have just dropped. I will take a closer look tomorrow the rear cylinder does stil have some hoses connected but the front doesnt!
Bite my shiny metal ass
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You have a vacuum hose that runs from the rear cylinder just below the rear carb inlet rubber that connects to the petcock. You might want to check that you have the carbs seated correctly. It's easy to slip the front carb in place but it can take some force to get the rear pushed down in to place as it catches the lip on the rear inlet rubber. The trick is to only lightly fit the front into place and then rear and push and wiggle both carbs down into place as if your giving them CPR. A little smear of grease around the inside lip of the rubbers helps too, not only with getting then on but also to help create a good seal.
==============================Enter the Darkside
madmax

Post by madmax »

Thanks but I forgot I hadn't tightened the spark plug fully! Yes I know am an idiot :oops: Will hopefully be finishing it this weekend once rechecked valve clearances
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Lol!
Well done for being honest.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

madmax wrote:Thanks but I forgot I hadn't tightened the spark plug fully! Yes I know am an idiot :oops: Will hopefully be finishing it this weekend once rechecked valve clearances
I'm happy for you that was all it was :)

Chris.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Its only a mistake if you do it twice! lol

Well I think am getting there. although now its fitted the left hand side inlet is coming in at 0.12 others seem ok though. Sent you an email Tony with a bit more info.

Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You have one on .19 which is at the upper end of spec.
Try swapping those two over.... Might work, if not I'll swap you one over.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Done a bit more tinkering today....

Didnt realise how much rad fluid makes it into the sump when sperationg the cylinder. Dropped the sump today to get it all out and check for debris. Is there any way of avoiding this for anyone else removing the head? I drained most of the fluid before doing it but not easy to get it all out. Any suggestions for a good gasket sealer for the sump and should I consider replacing the compresion ferral/sleeves inside the sump that seal the rad/oil pump system or just gasket seal the sump and refit?

I also tried swapping out the shims and tried a few variations but none really worked. I will get the offending shim sent out to you tomorrow Tony. The clearnce is coming in at 0.11 / maybe 0.12 on the one am sending for the left inlet but dont have any verniers to hand to measure the actual shim so cant tell you the shim depth!

You may of been right Carl I just may make 50 posts before am done!
Bite my shiny metal ass
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No need to change the steel tubes.
Any gasket sealant is fine, generic Halford stuff works well.
I'll send you out a shim when yours arrives and I can measure bit.

This thread is well and truly hijacked.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

have any verniers to hand to measure the actual shim so cant tell you the shim depth!
I find a micrometer with .25 mm steps more accurate. The problem with a vernier is that it relies on the pressure of you hand holding the shim in place which can differ whereas a micrometer you can count the clicks on the adjuster according to how it's calibrated so get the same amount of pressure each time.

[youtube][/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0znSg0sUPM
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It won't be a problem, Carl.
He's sending me the old one, with a .12 clearance I'll measure the old one and send him one that's a bit thinner.
As I'm measuring both with the same vernier, whatever pressure I put on the calipers will be the same both times.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Thanks Tony got the shim!

D day tomorrow! I need to replace a split front breather hose for cam cover (see pic) bikes at a friends house and wanted to pop into halfords on the way. Anyone know the inner diemeter of this hose? And while am asking where does the other end go?

Bite my shiny metal ass
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

No idea what the diameter is but it goes from the cam cover to under the airbox. You have a later model VTR with PAIR valve then. You would be better off getting the proper hose rather than buying from Halfrauds as at least it will be bent to the right shape then. Somebody on here is bound to have some laying around or there is eBay.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote: You would be better off getting the proper hose rather than buying from Halfrauds as at least it will be bent to the right shape then. Somebody on here is bound to have some laying around or there is eBay.
I would say the same, as those two hoses have some serious bends in them as standard. If you use an off the self generic straight hose they will most likely kink over time from the engine heat,

Chris.