Powder coating wheels, new bearings.

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
spawner

Post by spawner »

Hi All,

Im going to PC the wheels as they are nasty, and looking at changing the bearings due to the PC process, my question is are KOYO bearings ok? seen a set on ebay with dust seals inc sprocket carrier bearing for £43

not sure if its any good or not :crazy:

Darren
Darren
Kev L

Re: Powder coating wheels, new bearings.

Post by Kev L »

It's worth trying a local bearing factors. They're normally cheaper.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

spawner wrote:Hi All,

Im going to PC the wheels as they are nasty, and looking at changing the bearings due to the PC process, my question is are KOYO bearings ok? seen a set on ebay with dust seals inc sprocket carrier bearing for £43

Darren
Koyo are a good make. It's also a reasonable price. The sprocket carrier bearing is also not a standard (commonly used) size. I doubt you will save much at a bearing factor but you will probably waste a bit of time and petrol. I'd go with the eBay ones.

ps. The last bearing factor bearings I fitted didn't last for very long so getting them from a shop is no guarantee of quality.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

spawner wrote:Hi All,

Darren
I bought replacement bearings for my newly PC wheels, front and rears without seals as I already had those but not for sprocket carrier came to £33.
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

Just got my koyo bearings of eBay for £30 as a full set front and rear with seals and the sprocket carrier bearing they were £35 or best offer Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
spawner

Post by spawner »

Paultandy was the seller motorcycle-online ??
Darren
spawner

Post by spawner »

Wicky don't suppose you have had your wheels done locally? or do you know if anyone has used impact coatings in Colchester?

Darren
Darren
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

I used Impact Coatings for a shock spring - they were pretty disorganised. The day I was was due to collect it it was still in the corner of the office untouched where I'd left it. Though when they eventually did it they did a good job.

Ater that experience I used Wheel Worx http://www.wheelworxrefinishing.com > Units 8-10, Oyster Park, Greenstead Rd, Colchester, Essex, CO1 2SJ :thumbup: Cost £140 to do the pair in black.

Universal Tyres are just round the corner along Hythe Quay so they took the tyres off and back on after coating.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

spawner wrote:Paultandy was the seller motorcycle-online ??
Yes it was pal good service and fast delivery
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
spawner

Post by spawner »

Thanks all :D

Wicky impact quoted £45 + vat per wheel, would you still use wheelworx?

Thanks for replys
Darren
Darren
spawner

Post by spawner »

Paultandy wrote:
spawner wrote:Paultandy was the seller motorcycle-online ??
Yes it was pal good service and fast delivery
Thanks ordered some now :D

Darren
Darren
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

spawner wrote:Thanks all :D

Thanks for replys
Darren
I'd use em (Impact Coatings) if I wasn't in a rush - I think the shock spring was because it was a small fry job for em hence why it took 3 weeks to do (Wheel Worx did em in 3 days). If you've got any other bits that need PC you might as well get them done at the same time, plus pin them to a time scale and explain clearly what areas need masking for when they prepare them. IIRC Chemically stripping > grit blasting > masking > powder coating. When you get them back and before you fit bearings give them a good hosing out as grit gets everywhere.

spawner

Post by spawner »

Wicky wrote:

Thanks for replys
Darren
I'd use em (Impact Coatings) if I wasn't in a rush - I think the shock spring was because it was a small fry job for em hence why it took 3 weeks to do (Wheel Worx did em in 3 days). If you've got any other bits that need PC you might as well get them done at the same time, plus pin them to a time scale and explain clearly what areas need masking for when they prepare them. IIRC Chemically stripping > grit blasting > masking > powder coating. When you get them back and before you fit bearings give them a good hosing out as grit gets everywhere.
Cheers Wicky I will give them a go.. when I get the bike back lol

Thanks again
Darren
Darren
bazza696

Post by bazza696 »

spawner wrote:
Wicky wrote:

Thanks for replys
Darren
Cheers Wicky I will give them a go.. when I get the bike back lol

Thanks again
Darren
I used Intanations Ltd in Sible Hedingham, Halstead. They have done work for me on rocker covers for cars and have been very pleased.

They quoted me £100 for both wheels in gold, but they delayed in getting them done(3 weeks) but eventually I only paid £40.