Rear suspension - Order of disassembly

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
KermitLeFrog

Rear suspension - Order of disassembly

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I've had a good look through but I can't find the recommended order of disassembly. I've done it before but it was a while ago and I can't remember the order. Mufflers and wheel have been removed, all ready for the first nuts and bolts. Might leave the questions until Saturday....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Re: Rear suspension - Order of disassembly

Post by AMCQ46 »

I cant remember it being very critical which order you unbolt things ... obviously remove the linkage before taking out the swing arm pivot bolt, but that is about it.
AMcQ
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

and obviously you don't use a rear paddock stand to hold the bike up :lol:
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Just keep disassembling till you find all the squeaky rusty bits!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Thanks Chaps, wrt keeping the ar*e off the ground I have the Abba "swingarm removal" fittings. They go into the middle muffler mounting points.

ps. Ar*e with an ess gets changed to "butt". We're British, surely we can do better than that.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

may be a stupid question Ian, but why are you using the muffler mount points rather than the swing arm spindle for the ABBA stand?

if you are hoping to remove the swingarm spindle with the bike supported by the footpeg plates then you will be in for a bit of a shock when you take the spindle out.... the spindle is the main thong holding the footpegs in place [there is an other small screw to the crank case, but the big forces are taken by the spindle!

if you want to take the swing arm out, mount the ABBA stand on the rear engine mounting bolts
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Aaaah, no: 11 is proving difficult. Moved a bit and now it's stuck. Time for pizza to let the PlusGas work.

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:05 pm may be a stupid question Ian, but why are you using the muffler mount points rather than the swing arm spindle for the ABBA stand?

if you are hoping to remove the swingarm spindle with the bike supported by the footpeg plates then you will be in for a bit of a shock when you take the spindle out.... the spindle is the main thong holding the footpegs in place [there is an other small screw to the crank case, but the big forces are taken by the spindle!

if you want to take the swing arm out, mount the ABBA stand on the rear engine mounting bolts
Oh dear, silly me. You are quite right. Better get the wheel back in and change where the Abba attaches. Thanks for pointing this out Al. Could have been a bit of a problem.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

No.11 is always a pain...

In the past I have resorted to using a vice, several sockets & 3 hands, to get the fecker out.

The bolt 11, rusts & sticks to the inner sleeve No.6.

Other methods used. Put the nut back on & give it a solid thwack until it moves...Chances are you will need a new bolt & sleeve anyway so any damage caused is irrelevent to the bolt but you dont want to damage the bracket or the swinger.

Final way is to cut it out if you can get a blade down the edge between the swinger & bracket.

I have super stuck one, twacking didnt move it, heat didn't help...The vice trick failed & went horibly wrong when it did this to the vice...

I even enlisted help from my neighbour who has a hydrualic press...We got that up to 80 odd Psi & all it did was crease the swinger...Doh!

It's still stuck but as the swinger is now scrap I'll prob get the grinder out... :lol: :lol:

Good luck I hope it pop's out without too much grief...
Last edited by MacV2 on Fri May 04, 2018 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:14 pm Aaaah, no: 11 is proving difficult. Moved a bit and now it's stuck. Time for pizza to let the PlusGas work.

See my pic at the top of the page - workshop used a dremmel grinder to help remove the offending item before pressing a new un in.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts