Cutting out on long sweeping left bends

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
bfarthing83

Cutting out on long sweeping left bends

Post by bfarthing83 »

Hi guys need some help please for a 1999 vtr1000f.
I have running troubles with the bike which I’ve had sorted but now I have an odd fault. I’ve had CCTs replaced and timing is spot on. I’ve had the carbs off cleaned and set up my local garage and I replaced the rectifier.
The bike generally runs good as gold but on my way home on a long sweeping left turn the bike looses power and actually cut. Once on level ground and stationary, she fired up running on one cylinder for a few seconds then back to life as if nothing happened. I’m suspicious of the float levels but have been advised to replace my fuel tap then do the float levels.
Q1
Does anyone know where I can get a good fuel tap but without costing the earth?
Q2
Anyone got any suggestions on stuff to try please?
Cheers
Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by bfarthing83 on Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Re: Cutting out on long sweeping left bends

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

This is very strange. The angular acceleration caused by cornering is balanced (on all 2 wheeled vehicles) and the only effect is added "weight" down through the vertical axis of the bike. No difference at all between a left hand bend and a right hand bend. Very strange indeed.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I've never had this problem myself, but people on here talk of a problem with the drain pipes between the carbs- you'll have to take the tank and airbag off to see what I mean, they're two short black pipes that tuck between the carbs, going nowhere.
The advice given was to re-route them to point directly downwards instead of tucking them in sideways.

You might also check the fuel tank filter inside the tank.

It could have been a partially-shorted wire that is moving to earth itself on that sideways load, but as one cylinder cuts in and then two- that's a dead giveaway to a fuel based issue.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

from memory i THINK the float heights are set and cant be adjusted on storms???

many years ago the race bikes ran fuel pumps to stop what you are getting on long sweepers so that points to a fuel problem..

as tony said pull those pipes from between the carbs. it normally effects them after a long straight when you brake and it doesnt starve the carbs it actually floods the front one. my yellow one done that until i pulled the pipes out, cut them a little and pointed them downwards.. at least rule that out and see how it goes.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
bfarthing83

Post by bfarthing83 »

That sounds convincing about the pipes as firing her up again after stopping for a minute and the fault goes. I forgot to mention that if “on a track” and you take her above 120 the sane fault is induced and all power is lost until you get down to about 50 then she starts picking up again. I’m told she smells rich to. I didn’t know if that’s as I’m the only one with carbs?
Cheers for the advice guys will try it and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

+1 with Wicky on this one (having had to replace 2 diaphragms over the years)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
bertye

Post by bertye »

Hi, it could be fuel starvation as mentioned. I have had the same symptoms, that was over time, getting worse since June, cutting out after 30 miles plus, leave it minute and it would restart fine. I suspected my new rectifier that I got cheap as the voltage was a bit erratic. So fitted a Yamaha MOSSET one, but made no difference though the voltage was perfect with it fitted. The problem was getting worse, to the point of almost killing me, as it cut out in the 4th lane of a motorway. There was so much traffic I could not get across to he hard shoulder, so was sitting there in the fast lane leaning against to Armco :eek2 . Once it started I thrashed it to get to the hard shoulder. Just got the the hard shoulder only for it to cut out again. Once I got of the M-way it was getting down to running only about 300 yards, then cutting out, but got home in the end. So, that was it, it had to get to the bottom of it. I was going to strip the carbs but though I would check the electric's first as it was cutting out on both cylinders ( though quit often it would run on one cylinder for the first few seconds when restarted). Change the 2 ECU units, still the same. Checked all the rectifier joints, all Fine. Cut out the plug from the stater to rectifier and soldered the wires together, but it did look fine. Now the side stand switch was faulty when I brought it as it would cut out, or just not start, so that was binned from day one. I redone the wiring at the plug and the spades were not very tight, so closed them in, and it has not missed a beat since. It is just a thought that it could be the side stand switch or wiring from it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cutting out sorted then??
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I had a similar problem that developed over time.

Replaced the diaphragm in the fuel tap ( It had a split in it ) and the problem was gone !
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

confirming what is said above, its your diaphragm on the fuel tap, I had similar
AMcQ