Coolant leak

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
jbf955i

Coolant leak

Post by jbf955i »

Morning guys,

As always, I'm after some help! Long story which I will try to shorten. Front CCT failed, my fault when installing. Thanks to Roger for rebuilding the head for me up in Lancaster. Head fitted and bike back together, started up ok, no knocking etc. I changes, oil, coolant etc. Happy me .

First ride a noticed a blip just under 7000rpm. I got home ok and other than that the bike seemed great. I took it out last night for a quick ride, all ok and I don't notice the blip at 7000 rpm. Great I thought.

However, as I was riding the bike into the shed, there was a trail of coolant was on the floor. I couldn't see any sign of where it was coming from. I quickly, remover the tank etc, still no sign of any leak. It could have been leaking during the ride and collecting in the belly pan and as I went up the ramp it leaked out. The amount of coolant, I doubt that.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks Jason

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

jbf955i

Re: Coolant leak

Post by jbf955i »

jbf955i wrote:Morning guys,

As always, I'm after some help! Long story which I will try to shorten. Front CCT failed, my fault when installing. Thanks to Roger for rebuilding the head for me up in Lancaster. Head fitted and bike back together, started up ok, no knocking etc. I changes, oil, coolant etc. Happy me Image.

First ride a noticed a blip just under 7000rpm. I got home ok and other than that the bike seemed great. I took it out last night for a quick ride, all ok and I don't notice the blip at 7000 rpm. Great I thought.

However, as I was riding the bike into the shed, there was a trail of coolant was on the floor. I couldn't see any sign of where it was coming from. I quickly, remover the tank etc, still no sign of any leak. It could have been leaking during the ride and collecting in the belly pan and as I went up the ramp it leaked out. The amount of coolant, I doubt that.

Any ideas guys?
Thanks Jason

I guess I'm in trouble here! Lots of reads but no advice. Have I not conveyed the issue correctly guys?

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

The first question would be, what temp was the bike operating at while riding?

As for things to check, first would be to see if the overflow bottle is cracked. Also what is the level in the bottle?
Then check the weep hole for the water pump. Then all the hose clamps.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Hi hawk. Temp was fine on the ride, looking at the gauge. No cracks or loose pipe etc. The bike is stripped now and the only place I think it could have come from is the rear rocker cover, perhaps, the gasket wasn't sitting correctly.

It's odd, it all seemed to be collected in the belly pan. There seemed to be a lot of fluid on the floor. However, the coolant level in the tank and the RHS radiator isn't far off full.

I'll double-check everything again tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Thanks Jason

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The rocker covers can only leak oil, not coolant, so it isn't that.
It's usually a loose clamp on a coolant hose, and it allows a leak when the engine is up to temperature and under pressure.
Pull the tank and airbox off, put the carbs back on and run it up to fan coming on temperature with the tank connected backwards sitting on the rear subframe, strapped down so it can't fall off. Unless you have a remote fuel cell to hook up.
You should be able to see where the leak is.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
jbf955i

Post by jbf955i »

Afternoon gents,

I've spent days stopping the bike down, redid the timing on front and back cylinders. I was a couple of teeth out on the front. I checked all the hoses were fixed correctly.

All back together and I started her up, sounded much better. It's peeping down here, so I just let it run hot, the fan is coming on when required and no coolant leaks! It's was running for around 45 minutes. I haven't got a clue why it leaked in the first place!

In praying for some sun for tomorrow, to give it a decent runout. I'll let you know, how it goes.

Thanks for the help.