Regulator / Rectifier Modification

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Zakalwe

Regulator/Rectifiers

Post by Zakalwe »

The later Storms appear to have a bigger R/R fitted with cooling fins.

Do these still blow and should be replaced with a Yam one (preventative maintenance....mine is OK at the mo)?
streetf2

Post by streetf2 »

yes please does anyone know if the later honda one with cooling fins on still blow as i have one of these on my old storm! someone else must of had this problem on my old bike.
If it aint fixed don't break it.
Beast

Post by Beast »

As far as i know, the newer R/R's which include the built in heat sink are safe.
This mod is for those that do not have the newer unit and to save money. ;)
olkno9

Post by olkno9 »

I notice on the link at begining of this that the red and green wires are diffrent way round on the Honda to the yamaha is this right, dont want to blow anything up. cheers
LotusSevenMan

Post by LotusSevenMan »

Follow this scheme and it'll work fine.
Mine is seen below. You can see how the wires go quite clearly. I didn't move the relay from its original place as can be seen and it is all OK like this.

Good luck :wink:
"Only ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly" !!!
olkno9

Post by olkno9 »

cheers will hopefully get sorted for the good weather coming.
olkno9

Post by olkno9 »

got the yammy r/r on fired up ok then just cut out. tried it a few times and sometimes it ran others it just died, looks like either the battery went when i had my problems before or theirs a cable from battery earthing and draining power, 1 time it fires ok other time it just clicks like no charge, then it fires up again. had the tester on it and the battery was charging when it run but it suddenly would drop from around 14 volts to 13.7 for no reason, hope ill be sorted soon.
VeetyR

Post by VeetyR »

This is a common problem.......when i had my old 400cc superfour i used to come across it a lot in 400greybike forums.......it affects the 400's quite badly.......anyway to cut a long story short.....there is another modification u can do to the stock R/R and its quite simple and i sont see why it shouldnt work on the storm......

All u gotta do is source some ali heatsinks for pc memory like these....

mount them onto your R/R and away you go .... instant heat disipitation which counters the cause of your R/R failing. VeetyR(john'o)
Keep it gutter...Keep it grimey..........one!
alan

Post by alan »

Yeah veetyr its been done like this already but with a heatsink fan from a pc.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

alan wrote:Yeah veetyr its been done like this already but with a heatsink fan from a pc.
See link:- http://www.burniemorgan.com/firestorm/reg_heatsink.html
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

Hi,

This post is how I found this site and very grateful I am too! :D

After 3rd R/R failure and 2nd fried battery (they get upset when you pump just under 18V into them) I was getting desparate to find an alternative. :cry:

I'd even contemplated paying approx £50 for one off e-bay and visiting Maplins for some heat sink compound and a heatsink, shaping it to fit R/R and compounding it to the subframe!!!! :x

Went to Rufforth Saturday before last and spied an R6 R/R, she wanted £15 but took £10 when I told her it was only for an experiment - LOL :lol:

Only difference between this mod and mine is that I didn't want to chop my wiring harness, so I made up a patch lead (3"-4") with suitable wire and connectors (soldered rather than crimped of course) to go between the harness plug and the new R/R.

One advantage to this is that you don't have to move the flasher relay.

All is fine at present getting a nice voltage between 14 and 15 V.

Cheers

Graeme
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

Anyone used a reg rec of a VFR750...one of the oldest ones.....seen this one on Ebay and wondered if it would do the trick..as mine decided to commit hari kiri today going up to Devils bridge.....ended up sat at the side of the road for nearly 2 hrs waitin for the RAC lol...got a nice tan anyway :lol:
sparrowlegs

Post by sparrowlegs »

been out into the garage and robbed the R/R off the hubbies Storm..coz he's not using his this week and i need mine....and i got a nice surprise...his bike has the standard R/R on it...but some clever person has put a pc heat sink on the stock item and used compound on the back of it and on the frame.....me thinks who ever had the bike before him must've used this site !!!!!! Previous ovmer of our second storm...we salute you :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Stormin Ben

Post by Stormin Ben »

Redstorm,
Either you've been very unlucky with reg/recs or there's some underlying problem causing them to fail prematurely

Make sure the connection where the reg bolts onto the frame & also the earth strap is really clean and free from muck/ rust etc
If this is dirty it doesnt earth properly and goes tilt
I've got an inferiority complex
But its not a very good one!
RedStormV
Location: West Yorks (Bronte Country) - Home of the Negro Lesbian Cornet Players

Post by RedStormV »

No Ben,

All earthing was fine.

Anywho, just posted this in reply to another thread thought it might be helpful on here:

You can get R1 or R6 R/R from autojumbles ie Rufforth / Newark for £10-£15 and it's a simple mod to change.

IMO don't put another Honda one on - unreliable, although one with heatsink is going to fair better cos of cooling effect.

Alternatively if your stock one is OK, got to Maplins or RS componenets or similar, buy:
  • Small piece of heatsink (or take one off an old PC processor).
    Tube or sachet of heatsink compound (white paste).

Cut the heatsink to fit around the shape of the R/R (metal surround).
    Drill two holes through to match the R/R ones.
    Blather the base of the heatsink in compound so it fills the void.
    Screw assembly back in place.
    (PC heatsinks are VERY efficient)
Robert's your Fathers' Brother

HTH

Graeme.