Regulator / Rectifier Modification

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Wicky

Re: Regulator / Rectifier Modification

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Alternatively, once you've bought it, take it to Halfords and buy some there.
It's their yellow size equivalent.

Make sure they're SOLDERED on, though, and don't forget to put the heatshrink tube on before you solder them on....
Last edited by tony.mon on Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Thanks for the replies....I am just trying to get the individual connector dimension to do the same job as the original link but I guess a trip to Halfords with my R/R will work.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Sandyback wrote:Thanks for the replies....I am just trying to get the individual connector dimension to do the same job as the original link but I guess a trip to Halfords with my R/R will work.
Where are you based mate? I have a set of electrical connectors and insulators if you're local.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

Kev L wrote:
Sandyback wrote:Thanks for the replies....I am just trying to get the individual connector dimension to do the same job as the original link but I guess a trip to Halfords with my R/R will work.
Where are you based mate? I have a set of electrical connectors and insulators if you're local.
he

Thanks for the offer, but I guess I'm too far away - Tamworth, Staffs.

I'm guessing they are about 4mm....but because the "pins" are within the socket, I can't measure them.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

OK mate, bit far away. Good luck with it.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Sandyback wrote:Could somebody please tell me what size female connectors I need to buy to fit an R6 regulator?
I just removed the standard terminals from the connector shell, put heatshrink over the exposed copper to stop any risk of short circuiting and then put them onto the correct pins on the r6 R/R and fitted some cable ties to stop them pulling off. Has worked fine for 2 yrs so far :thumbup:
AMcQ
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

AMCQ46 wrote:
Sandyback wrote:Could somebody please tell me what size female connectors I need to buy to fit an R6 regulator?
I just removed the standard terminals from the connector shell, put heatshrink over the exposed copper to stop any risk of short circuiting and then put them onto the correct pins on the r6 R/R and fitted some cable ties to stop them pulling off. Has worked fine for 2 yrs so far :thumbup:
Sorry to post again......but how did you get the terminals out of the shell - did you have to cut the shell off? - mine don't want to come apart.
Also, the spade connectors look much wider in the original R/R than the R6 one.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

To get the connector out there is a small barb on the back of the copper terminal and this acts as an anti backout feature to stop the terminal being pulled out. So you need a small watchmaker screwdriver or similar narrow but stiff blade to push into the socket from the side that would normally be facing the regulator. This will push down the barb, and allow you to pull the terminal out from the wiring loom side.

hope that makes sense.

the blades are the same thickness on the honda and R6 R/R, so the female terminals will work just fine even though as you spotted the honda ones may be wider
AMcQ
Sandyback

Post by Sandyback »

AMCQ46 wrote:To get the connector out there is a small barb on the back of the copper terminal and this acts as an anti backout feature to stop the terminal being pulled out. So you need a small watchmaker screwdriver or similar narrow but stiff blade to push into the socket from the side that would normally be facing the regulator. This will push down the barb, and allow you to pull the terminal out from the wiring loom side.

hope that makes sense.

the blades are the same thickness on the honda and R6 R/R, so the female terminals will work just fine even though as you spotted the honda ones may be wider
Thanks for your reply but unfortunately, before reading it I cut the connector off, thinking I'd found the correct size terminals........they fit on the blades but the wire gauge is larger than the diameter of the connector - oh well, back to searching for the correct sized terminals :thumbdown:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try .250" (6.3mm) Female connector (insulated - blue?) and solder them on as these connectors carry high loads .

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165626

As soon as the wires start to oxidise the resistance will go up with unpleasant consequences

or 6 Way Male Connector (SR6W).

http://kojaycat.com/Motorcycle%20Regula ... ectors.htm
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
whitestorm pete

Post by whitestorm pete »

just a quick question if i mounted the r/r on thick alu as a heat sink then added cooling fins would it work the same :eh:
If sh1t were money you would be worth a fortune
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Possibly, but why take the chance for a few pounds?
Can't hurt, though.

I'd suggest using heatsink paste to give it the best conductivity.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Jazzscot

Post by Jazzscot »

Or go the full hog and add a fan

http://www.one-ring.net/vfrfaq/reg-rect.html
Everything good is bad
Everything bad is good
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

i know on the fireblade the normal modification is to run a wire from the negative on the regulator to the battery
and a negative from the regulator body to the battery as it helps with charging and reducing over heating
should work on the firestorm