How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

Where all the workshop knowledge lives together.
Rad_Draven

Re: How to remove and refit CCT's on the Firestorm

Post by Rad_Draven »

Thanks mate!
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Hi, in the process now of replacing the cct. I do not have a locking tool. Is it ok to remove the old cct without turning in twice and locking off. What would be the result of just unbolting and removing the old cct.

Thanks..
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Rampant Lion wrote:Hi, in the process now of replacing the cct. I do not have a locking tool. Is it ok to remove the old cct without turning in twice and locking off. What would be the result of just unbolting and removing the old cct.

Thanks..
if replacing with Maunuals, then no concern........it can be helpful to lock them in place so you can set the maunals to the same length as a starting point....but not a critical part of teh process as long as you have the cam covers off to allow you to set the slack in the cam chain.

BUT if putting new honda autos in there, then you need the key to wind them in before fitting.

if you have some 1mm steel plate and a hacksaw you can make your own, Tony can also do it with a screwdriver, (but that is another topic :lol: )
AMcQ
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Fitted my bazza manuals today, straight forward but fiddly putting everything back together.

Found a few things wrong too, previous to me buying my bike from dealer it had the front cct replaced with a new one but they didnt fit the metal cap to the plunger and a small hose at the front of the air box wasnt connected (what effect would this have if any) :?: :?: .

Im yet to fire it up due to awaiting a new gasket and o-rings for the gen casing but think all shoud be ok. I set the tension as best I could (finger tight and backed them off a little).
http://lincsrideouts.co.uk

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
Rampant Lion

Post by Rampant Lion »

Have completed changing the tensioners on my bike. Have an APE on the back and a Krieger on the front.The information on the site was invaluable. I would like to thank all those who have posted details of what to do and what to avoid. Now looking foward to a good run out.

Thanks again, and a Good New Year to you all...Ian

:beer: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Had: CB125. Benelli 250. Yamaha YDS7.Kawasaki Z400. Kawasaki Z650c. Kawasaki Z650B1. Kawasaki Z1300.Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100R. TDM 850 (2 off). Suzuki Bandit 1200. BMW R1100RT. Yamaha XT600.

Now: VTR 98 Storm in lovely silver....
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

if and when i get round to having manuals how often do they need to be adjusted and when do you know they need doing??

happy new year to everybody
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

lumpyv wrote:if and when i get round to having manuals how often do they need to be adjusted and when do you know they need doing??

happy new year to everybody
No more than annually, probably nowhere near that often for most riders.

You'll know because you can hear the chain ticking slightly, then adjust up while the engine's running until the ticking sound goes away, no more.
Usually a flat or two is all that's needed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

thank you tony. wont be too often for me then as i am a low mileage type of rider.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Fired up the storm today after fitting bazzas manuals, started fine and blasted up and down the street. missed that sound, it's been 3 weeks since I have ridden it.

Just one thing, it very slightly takes longer to start when hot, it used to be half an engine turn e.g instant, now mabey one or two turns (not a problem , just somthingf i've noticed).
Have I set the tension too tight slightly??? Is it worth adjusting the tension ?? :problem:

So many MODS to do so little time to do them ! Mini bi-xenon hid projector viewtopic.php?f=31&t=30721
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Tension's too tight.
Back them both out half a turn and see if it starts better, and if you can hear a rattle.
Diabolus

Post by Diabolus »

Half a turn, I'll give it a go - I think when I tightened the lock nut the adjusting nut tightened slightly too so I need to hold that in position whilst tightening the lock nut. Thanks Tony

hammie

Post by hammie »

ive got some manual ccts from bazza, bikes strapped on the bench and will have a go tommorrow, went to undo the inspection caps, good job im doing this cos they were not even finger tight, so no problems taking them off, have been reading through this thread, to confirm, i do not need to take the front cam cover off and its all done off the rear one, turn the manula ccts in hand tight, turn engine over by hand recheck hand tight and then a quarter turn in and lock off, if when running, it rattles turn them in a bit more, [when running????] and if screeches or misses slacken them off a bit??

cheers hammie
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Not quite. Forget hand tight, this just misleads.
Just take off the rear cam cover, then set the tensioner (with the engine in the correct place, cams pointing upwards and towards each other) so that when you move the cam sprocket back and forth there's about 5-7mm of total movement.
Play with the tensioner a bit to see how that feels , and exactly what "hand-tight" feels like. Practise setting it without looking at the chain run, and then check to see how close you got.
Now you know what "hand-tight" actually equates to......

Then rotate anti-clockwise one and a quarter turns to the front point and set the front one to the same tension as you can then set the tension without having to lift the front cam cover.
hammie

Post by hammie »

hi tony, cheers for reply, when you say move the cam sprocket back and forth, is this ie turning the engine, and then the 5-7mm is this the deflection in the cam chain?
cheers hammie
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

No m8 he means play in the camchain
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.