Security regarding uploading photo's, please read.

Keeping you informed of what's happening with the forum, updates, downtime etc.
sirch345
Site Admin

Security regarding uploading photo's, please read.

Post by sirch345 »

When posting photo's on this site, if you are using a device to take your photo's that has GPS (Global Positioning System), it appears you need to make sure GPS is turned off before taking the photo. Otherwise if you upload the original photo without resizing it first (which you should really) it appears you load a photo with address information with it, on where it was taken. So if you took that photo from your home, anyone (you don't even need to be a member here) can access that information which tells them where your bike is.

I have come across two members who have done this very recently (their photo's have been rectified now) who didn't even realise what they had done, so I thought I best mention it. I only really found this out by accident.

Thanks for reading,

Cheers,

Chris.
VTRDark

Re: Security regarding uploading photo's, please read.

Post by VTRDark »

Ha ha why do you think they invented products with GPS. It's not for out benifit :wink:

Good shout Chris. This is nothing new but with the increase of GPS enabled devices and a society built on tracking and monitoring everything we do for security purposes....ironic isn't it. :lol: It's good practise to remove any Meta Exif data from any images before uploading to the web anywhere. Better still don't buy into the products that contain spyware in the form of a trojan marketed to us as something useful and for our benfit or if you do, at least be tech savvy enough to be aware of it and how to get around /disable it.

Trasformers....Robots in Disguise.......

3 Ways To Remove EXIF MetaData From Photos (And Why You Might Want To)

How to Remove EXIF Metadata From Photos

Remove Location Data From Your Photos Before Sharing Them

As well as the thief down the road and your insurance company along with many others. Your partner and kids tracking where you are is the least of your problems.

4 things you probably don’t know about GPS
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks Carl for your follow up post with the links :thumbup:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Or just turn the airplane mode on when taking photos.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Does that work?, would it not update the photos as soon as you switch off airplane mode?.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

mags@port wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 am Does that work?, would it not update the photos as soon as you switch off airplane mode?.
Don't know.I googled how to turn gps off on my phone and that came up as an alternative. ?????
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN