Red storm dyno - hp on engine

Just post charts and set up details.
lloydie

Re: Red storm dyno - hp on engine

Post by lloydie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:41 pm

Sounds like your hiding something lol , excuses excuses!

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:43 pm

lloydie wrote:Sounds like your hiding something lol , excuses excuses!
at least I keep you informed, it is true with clutch slip and dyno :-)

lloydie

Post by lloydie » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:50 pm

That you do [THUMBS UP SIGN].
Get it fixed as I want to know !

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:11 pm

Glad to hear your ok after your spill :thumbup:

Shame about the clutch too :thumbdown:

What's the final carb setup have you settled for Stephan, mains, needle height etc... :thumbup:

I've been doing my homework & studying dyno graphs from all sorts of V twin bikes & I recon, they make best performance/power at 12.5 AFR.

I was running with Std Keihin 175f - 178r mains but have just changed to DJ mains 185f - 190r. (Only because I didn't have a Keihin 180. Otherwise I would of gone Keihin 178f - 180r)

I did a 200 mile run yesterday & am now getting 45'ish to the gallon & it's pulling really really well now to the red line.

The best mileage & performance ever tbh. Hopefully over 110 bhp now, only dyno time will tell though :thumbup:
PS. "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance, but the illusion of knowledge."

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:12 pm

Here is settings summary:
Dr Honda stacks, Pipercross filter, 48 pilots, 188 mains, FactoryPro needles, front clip on the top (leanest), rear one slot down (approx 0,5 mm), two slide holes

Yes, I will be aiming 12.5 afr next year as well :)

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:51 pm

I'll shortly be selling my downpipes with lambda sensors in, so you can tune each cylinder individually. Tony
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:50 pm

tony.mon wrote:I'll shortly be selling my downpipes with lambda sensors in, so you can tune each cylinder individually. Tony
Thanks for offer Tony, but I have lambda with data logging tool available. One is enough, it will be done cylinder by cylinder, I have mount in each pipe.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Mon May 23, 2016 11:01 am

Been on dyno today, after some more changes I did. Unfortunately I had to go to another place where they had time to do it, so there is no direct comparison ....

Altough there is difference in my feeling, and no noticeble dip anywhere when on the throttle, I have issues on part throttle and low revs where bike is coughing, typically riding in city, open roads feels great. But difference on dyno chart is almost none, graph looks very similar to what I´ve posted before.

There is very lean settings of pilots as well, it was adjusted by lambda reading at 1400k and about 13.8 both cylinders. Next time I will try 13 or 12.8, both cylinders. AFR various front to rear didn´t work for me, still talking only about pilot screws settings at idle ...

Current dyno settings:
188+190 mains, 48 pilots, Fpro needles leanest setting, stock 2 slide holes both carbs, PiperCross filter, Dr Honda stacks

Last dyno settings (page1):
188+188 mains, 48 pilots, Fpro needles front in the middle rear one slot richer, 1 slide hole both carbs, PiperCross filter, Dr Honda stacks

I can confirm 123 BHP on the wheel, as last dyno showed 122. These numbers comes from two different dyno machines (and systems) and can be trusted :-)

There is one graph comparing mine stage1 with well tuned stock engine with BOS exhaust, KN filter, and Dynojet kit, just for referrence, I found it interesting.
Second is AFR taken from exhaust (not specifically from one cylinder) and power.

Next plans: stock needles, 185+188 mains (stock needles are shorter and richer on the top), pilot screw settings, another dyno run

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Fri May 27, 2016 8:23 am

I went to the carbs, and realized last time I was being dumb, because rear Fpro needle was out of the straight shape after my last installation, part of the learning curve ... :-) Anyway, current setting is 185+188 mains, stock needles without washers, 48 pilots 1,75+1,9 turns out. Low end is now correct, and there is some dip or flat spot at 4-5k due to rich condition, but small and good rideable. I just feel that 6k above is stronger, but I´ve never seen stage1 with flat curve from 3-9k, there was alway boost after 5k. Top end still running strong as ever.

Next dyno is booked 8th June at 16 pm.

Stephan

Post by Stephan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:42 pm

here is the graph from last dyno performed 8th Jun, compared to previous measurement. I had no time to post it due to workload ...

Blue line is current setup, 185+188 mains, oem needles without washers, 48 pilots 1.75+1.9 turns out, as stated before. Surprisingly, you don´t see much difference , it is just leaner, but power on WOT is very similar. But there is huge difference in low revs and part throttle, bike is now good rideable everywhere.
One important thing is that this measurement was taken when ambient temperature was 15 deg higher, in comparable conditions new setup may look stronger.
Dip at 5k seems to be part of the characteristic of my setup, most likely arrow full exhaust or DrHonda stacks is causing it, as it was similar before stg1. But even with this dip, power (or torque) at 5k is the same as stock vtr does, but good tuned ones are stronger here.
I will leave it for a while, but for sure this flat spot at 5k is something working in my mind, altough bike feeling is fine. If I don´t see the graph, I would say it is okay everywhere ...

pictures are not the best, I was not bright enough at the moment to ask for printscreen ...