The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Just post charts and set up details.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Post by sirch345 »

cybercarl wrote:
Interesting results there. 108 is very good especially as it's a Vara. :thumbup:
+1
Well done :D

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Right then, been doing some more carb changes & another dyno run :roll:

The last run I did (green line) was with the new carbs with Keihin 178F & 180R mains with standard trumpets & filter.

We had a chat after the run & decided it would be better to lean her out again.

This is what I did.
I've changed it a bit today, I've gone for 175 Front, 178 Rear & removed the washers from under the oem needles.

Also fitted modified modified Ducati trumpets same height as the oem items but with the bigger radius.

Oh, & a free flow filter to lean her out again :wink:

Too many changes at once tbh, but considering It took me close on 5 years to finally dial in the crappy last set I thought I'd hurry things up a little :lol: :thumbup:
Then off I went for another run :roll:

Red line is the latest setup :thumbup:

I've done one mistake. I usually run it on the dyno with Shell optimax or similar, but I forgot this time.

I am not sure if it's the reason for the lower peak power figure because I've done a few changes all at once, but I thought I'd mention it.

I do feel I've gone in the right direction with the new leaner jetting, but feel its been counter productive fitting the Ducati modded oem length stacks & that it's caused it to richen it up across the graph. So power wise it's been a waste of time, again :lol:

Update. I've removed the Ducati modded stacks again :lol: & refitted the oem Standard VTR odd height items.

Not tested the bike yet & now that the crappy weather is really upon us, I've been busy returning the bike to winter mode.

So it might be a while before I update the outcome with another dyno run :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote:
cybercarl wrote:Did you get this sorted, what was the final setup?
It's still an on going project Carl, I was fed-up to say the least after the last dyno run & it did take a lot of wind out of my carb tuning sails.

I did get the Keihin 180 rear jet in the end & have since fitted a 178 front/180 rear. I am also still running the much debated filed needles :roll: which are working very well tbh. Popin'n banging on the over run rules & 170 miles to the tank when hammering it is great too.

I've managed to get a newish set of carbs of eBay & I'm planning to jet a set for road use & a set for track. I have a feeling that I might be losing a little low end power from the leanish cruising 4-6000 rpm range. Only a dyno run will tell though :lol:

Carb fiddling aside, I've still been busy fiddling & purchasing various bit's n pieces, but feel that I have hit the ceiling when it comes to using Std parts for power gains. I still hope to break the 110bhp target I initially set myself & haven't given up on using oem parts to do it.

On the plus side, I've managed to get my hands on a set of new Kibblewhite valve springs & a new set of Falicon vernier timing gears. All I need now are high lift cams.....the "long" search is on :roll:

I've also fitted/converted to a "530" DID Gold chain, using an unbroken Blackbird item with a 44 tooth Super-sprox rear & CBR 929 15 tooth front. I am also looking for a Renthal/Afam Yamaha R6 (5EB) rear 48 tooth for track days. They're also 530 & use the same pcd to mount.

I have also been looking into shortening the wheel base by using a VTR swing arm. The side to side measurements lines up spot on (avoiding the exhaust), but the similarities end there. The lower engine casings are different on the Varadero to the VTR so linkage mounting issues are problematic. So that's on hold also....

After fitting a fork brace on the front & reaping the rewards, I went about looking at fitting one to the rear. I purchased another Varadero swing arm & a Yamaha R6 (5EB) swing arm. I then removed the brace, cut & ground (Flap wheeled) to fit & ready to weld on. It fitted like a glove on the spare Varadero swing arm, but when I removed the hugger on the bike to see if it worked... Nooooo... Looking at it, It would hit the subframe under compression. Total waste of time & money :thumbdown: So back to looking at an under slung item :thumbup:

Now summer is well & truly here, I've just fitted some part worn x track Pirelli Super Corsa's on to a CBR600f3 front & CBR 900 rear ( both 5 spoke) & fitted them. I'm a bit piffed off as the rear is a 180/60/17. The higher 60 instead of a 55 profile touches the hugger 8O So it's been removed until I can think of something. If only the R6 brace fitted, as it has a hugger fitted to it.

Now your back, it'll give me a bit more motivation to Dyno it again. I'll update soon :thumbup:

Here's where I am atm :D

Sorry for banging on & really good to hear from you again.
busy man .... and by the way thats looks fecking great fun that bike :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote:Right then, been doing some more carb changes & another dyno run :roll:

The last run I did (green line) was with the new carbs with Keihin 178F & 180R mains with standard trumpets & filter.

We had a chat after the run & decided it would be better to lean her out again.

This is what I did.
I've changed it a bit today, I've gone for 175 Front, 178 Rear & removed the washers from under the oem needles.

Also fitted modified modified Ducati trumpets same height as the oem items but with the bigger radius.

Oh, & a free flow filter to lean her out again :wink:

Too many changes at once tbh, but considering It took me close on 5 years to finally dial in the crappy last set I thought I'd hurry things up a little :lol: :thumbup:
Then off I went for another run :roll:

Red line is the latest setup :thumbup:

I've done one mistake. I usually run it on the dyno with Shell optimax or similar, but I forgot this time.

I am not sure if it's the reason for the lower peak power figure because I've done a few changes all at once, but I thought I'd mention it.

I do feel I've gone in the right direction with the new leaner jetting, but feel its been counter productive fitting the Ducati modded oem length stacks & that it's caused it to richen it up across the graph. So power wise it's been a waste of time, again :lol:

Update. I've removed the Ducati modded stacks again :lol: & refitted the oem Standard VTR odd height items.

Not tested the bike yet & now that the crappy weather is really upon us, I've been busy returning the bike to winter mode.

So it might be a while before I update the outcome with another dyno run :thumbup:
Interesting to hear what you have been doing, again :wink: :D

Chris.