The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Just post charts and set up details.
bazzashadow

Re: The Varastorm Dyno run (VTR cams)

Post by bazzashadow »

this thread and the thought about a triumph 675 made me check my dyno run.
I know I have 190 jets, k&n filter , adjustable needles (but not sure what they are on) and this was with the two brothers exhaust`s
and it run max power 106 and max torque 68
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

.(Bet you Carls Laughing :roll: :lol: :wink: )
I was when I read that. :biggrin
If you wanted to richen the 3000rpm fuelling zone, how would you go about it? :)
Pilot circuit at smaller throttle openings and needle at higher throttle openings, anything over a 1/4 turn.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Carbs off again today :sad2 & I thought about giving it a rest for a bit.

I had all the panels off, tank, airbox, carbs sideways in the frame with no slides in & I just walked away for about 2 hours (quick game of World of Tanks :wink: )

Whilst getting slaughtered on the game, I came to the conclusion I just can't stop myself. I think I gota go see the doctor :lol: :lol:

So I had another go filing the needles, here are some pictures of where I'm at :thumbup:

This is an original needle, but the wear mark highlights where the needle sits in the needle jet.

Here is a picture of the needles filed, it's the second attempt as the first were filed too high up the needle to affect the mixture.

I am trying to take it really slow, to avoid ruining them & having to purchase some more :thumbup:

Btw, I have not tried these yet as I got roped into cooking pizza & Cider dringing, hic.... :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Just back from a quick run, all seems quite good with the filed needles :D

There are no issues cruising through out the rev range now, including the 3000rpm zone. (Thought I would never type that :lol: )

There is an ever so slight popping & crackling whilst decelerating though, I don't mind it but it does tell me it's still a little lean & also that I haven't gone too far with the filing.

I am thinking of filing another 0.1mm off the needles in the same place as it seems to of worked out quite well :thumbup:

I'm quite chuffed tbh & starting to look forward to the next dyno run, hopefully in a few weeks :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I have been for another ride & did notice one slight pop from the carb during deceleration at around 2800rpm, it only happened once.

I tried to simulate it again, but couldn't.

So, because of that & the slight crackling from the exhaust also on deceleration (does sound good though) I have decided to go in again.

Hopefully for the last time.

This is a picture of a needle that was very close @24mm down from the 2nd groove & I was quite happy with, but because of the issues mentioned above I decided to remove a little more.

Here is a picture of the new electrical taped guides, the mark is now 25mm from the second groove.

Here are the needles marked with magic marker felt pen, easy to see where the metal is being removed from.

Here is a picture of the new cut I gave the needle.

Here is a picture of the new needle diameter.

The finished item.

Will update, good or bad :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Just back from a 60 mile round trip to the dentist to have a tooth pulled :roll: :cry:

I can & am very happy to report no issues with the carburation any more.

It feels really good from tick over, to cruising through villages in top at 25-30mph to opening it out slowly or nailing it :D

I am very surprised at the outcome of filing my first set of VTR needles & am very happy their not going in the bin with the slides.

Hopefully the dyno will back up my needle filing attempt & prove with out doubt it can be done.

As soon as I hit the dyno (next week hopefully), I'll photograph the sheets of paper again & post them up :thumbup:

I am quite glad it's over (pi$$ed off taking the carbs on & off) & I feel I have accomplished the task I set for myself.

I'm now going to have a few ciders to celebrate & hopefully my mouth will stop flooding with blood :cry:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Wow I am surprised. That is a rather radical shape you have filed there. I thought you would go rounded rather than flat. I'm glad it has worked out for you and I know exactly what you mean about getting peed off with pulling carbs. It gets like that after a while. So what are we up to now. 10mins for a quick carb removal and making a change. :plainsmile

Well done. :clap: The good thing is that you have already done the cams and clearances/timing sorted, so carbs where last on the list. Now that's what I call going about things in the right order.

Now get some clove oil or better still bite down on a clove and it will numb your mouth for any toothache or in your case gum ache as the teeth have gone.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:Wow I am surprised. That is a rather radical shape you have filed there.
I am surprised too. It is er........ different :lol: :lol: :lol:

The dyno will reveal all & hopefully it'll not embarrass me :lol:

I have a feeling some people are wanting me to fail on this one :wink: :sad2

I have done this needle filing before, on a set of su's on an old x hill climb MG Midget I had back in the 80's & that worked okay also. So I wasn't too scared to get the file out :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I have a feeling some people are wanting me to fail on this one :wink: :sad2
Why would you think that. :confused The forum consists of members that like to tinker, experiment and push boundaries. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not but then there are lessons learned that we can all learn from or even take a step further and experiment some more if one wishes to do so.

The dyno readout will be interesting to see but it does not reveal all. It's another tool in the box. Seat Of The Pants and real world out and about riding is what it's about and every bike will be different. A good tuner will do this and not only rely on what the dyno says. Some peoples SOTP is better than others. You have had the carbs off and on so many times now that you should have a pretty good feel of things.

Thanks for being the guinea pig :wink: and contributing to the forum. Your threads have all made interesting reading and fun to follow along. It's all good. :beer:

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I was really sceptical to your needle modification, and bore in mind that your progress was going on very winding road :) But it is still far from wish you to lose.

Now prove it with a dyno sheet! :D
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

cybercarl wrote:Thanks for being the guinea pig
No problem Carl, I've been called worse :think: A lot worse :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

I do feel good about this "tune" I've done though. Tbh, the power delivery seems so linear now it reminds me of my old mans VFR 750 :o but it was blowing a gale on Parys mountain today.

I just hope the Dyno is going to show the results I feel, other wise I am going to see about amputating my ass coz it ain't working :lol: :lol:
Stephan wrote:Now prove it with a dyno sheet!
I am suffering so bad from toothlessness ache atm :cry:

Of course you will see them Stephan :thumbup:
Last edited by Varastorm on Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

That was not really nice
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Pain killers haven't kicked in yet then. :lol: :lol:

I'm sure you will get a dyno run at some stage, time and funds permitting. The curiosity will be niggling you. :wink: It's only a matter of getting around to it. Or maybe not. I have done the same myself before where I have had the intention of going back to the dyno, but if the bike is riding and behaving nicely then what's the point, though it is nice to have. Either that or you will carry on riding with the intention of going to the dyno, then a few months past and the seasons change and the bike starts misbehaving and one starts tinkering/tweaking things again, maybe because of the weather. By that stage there is no point in going back to the dyno as changes have been made so one goes back to square one. :lol: :lol: I speak from experience.

Last edited by VTRDark on Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Your right Stephan :thumbup:

I'll put the charts up asap :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Been running the new needle setup a few days & have noticed the pilot circuit is now running rich again.

It starts okay with very little choke, but is a bugger to keep it idling for 2-3 minutes on its own. Once it's up to temp it behaves & idles okay again.

I think that because I have modified the needles, it might be letting a little fuel past the needle at idle & causing the rich issue.

It isn't bad at all tbh, but I'm going to go back down to #45's again and try 2 turns out as a guess & work from there.

I was going to see if the dyno could of fitted me in today, but I just couldn't stop myself having one last go :roll: :thumbup: