lightweight flywheel

Moderator: VTRDark

fabiostar

lightweight flywheel

Post by fabiostar »

as above lads.. iv a lightweight flywheel here for sale.... im gona make a few of them but thought somebody on here might want a bit of fun.... its an exchange job, send me yours over ,this one is ready to go. bearing removed during machining, cleaned,oiled and fixed back in ready to just bolt on...

£70 posted to your house .

dont have scales working at the min but you can see what it looks like, i just copied the one i already had.

the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
E.Marquez

Re: lightweight flywheel

Post by E.Marquez »

Hey I recognize that style :lol:

The outer edge where the timing marks are, you can cut a little further out and shave some weight.. just don't go so thin it creates a knife edge.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:32 pm Hey I recognize that style :lol:

The outer edge where the timing marks are, you can cut a little further out and shave some weight.. just don't go so thin it creates a knife edge.
ah i left a few mill on that lip just to be on the safe side atm.. im doing a superlight one to try on my own engine. not something i wana sell but just to try to see how it runs. :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

SOLD>SOLD.and the second one. its away aswell :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 pm
ah im doing a superlight one to try on my own engine. not something i wana sell but just to try to see how it runs. :thumbup:
As long as you have tickover set high it'll be ok, but a very light one makes it easy to stall pulling away.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am
fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:38 pm
ah im doing a superlight one to try on my own engine. not something i wana sell but just to try to see how it runs. :thumbup:
As long as you have tickover set high it'll be ok, but a very light one makes it easy to stall pulling away.
yeah tony i just wana try a really light one on the yellow bike just to see what it feels like :clap: . id say it will be a tad frisky lol
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:19 am As long as you have tickover set high it'll be ok, but a very light one makes it easy to stall pulling away.
To each his own I suppose, but having run the lightest VTR flywheel made so far (that I have seen posted anyway) for more then 2 years now on a bike riding year round, rain or shine, stop and go traffic and twisty roads... Ive not noticed any tendency to stall at take off.
For sure if the rider is inexperienced, a heavy flywheel weight may mask those common mistakes but I don't think anyone that has any level from moderate and up riding time is going to notice stalling as an issue from a well running VTR
Post event services

Total Rider
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Speaking from experience me neither. I can understand how stalling could be an issue with some bikes with lightened flywheels stalling. I'm thinking smaller IL4's not two great big thumping V Twin piston's. I have read a lot on lightened flywheels and one of the warnings is always the chance of stalling but I have not experienced that with the VTR. It makes sense really with smaller engines that it's only the inertia of the flywheel turning that keeps it ticking over. I bet the crank alone on the VTR weighs more than the average IL4 crank, conrod and pistons combined. Not only that but the counterweights on the VTR crank are pretty big. I used to set my idle to 1000rpm too. Yes a little low I know considering the oil pressure. All in the name of saving a bit of fuel and I don't particularly like sitting at lights with the engine ticking over more than 1200rpm. As long as your carbs are tuned and balanced correctly you should be OK.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

after buying an old crank to cut the end of i think the titanic sunk because it was carrying a vtr crank on it :lol: .
feedback about the first crank i done, i have a very chuffed rider :D . only problem so far is fuel consumption he says went up? due to wanting to wring its neck everytime he goes out on it :clap: :clap:

result :biggrin
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

same as before boys iv another one ready, tho from looking at it ,its a bit lighter than the other ones :D :D must get the scales sorted....

iv just got this one on a set of scales. without the bearing its come in at 4lb 9 oz :eek2
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:50 pm same as before boys iv another one ready, tho from looking at it ,its a bit lighter than the other ones :D :D must get the scales sorted....

iv just got this one on a set of scales. without the bearing its come in at 4lb 9 oz :eek2
well done :clap: Thats getting close to my lightest ones>
I finally found a US source for balancing, sent my first one to them Friday fingers crossed they can find a way to balance it in the cutdown cut design.
Post event services

Total Rider
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Well done. You are making quick work of this
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

im gona settle around the 5lb mark or a little over from now on.... well that is when i get the lathe running... i need a new motor for it, its cried enough. i knew it was near on its way so on the hunt for a new one.. :D
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv another one of these bad boys ready to go as of today...so far feed backs been along the lines of,wish id got one years ago :D ..
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

sold and winging its way to New Zealand :thumbup: :thumbup: ..