L/H Front brake caliper

Moderator: VTRDark

fatfreddy000

L/H Front brake caliper

Post by fatfreddy000 »

Hi all,
Just changed the pads in my storm.
Upon re-torquing up the mounting bolts on the l/h caliper I could only achieve about 26nm on the top bolt (manual states 30nm)
On removal I can see a few threads of aluminium so the caliper is threaded- thought it felt a bit loose when I undid it.
Whacked some threadlock in there and got it back up to 26nm but obviously don't wanna risk anything dodgy in this area..
Looked on eBay but calipers are fetching 40quid unless I order from the states and get one for under 30 but with a wait.
Question is..
Does anybody have a cleanish one knocking about they could send for cheap that will work without needing new seals or pistons etc?
Thanks in advance!
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Re: L/H Front brake caliper

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:34 pm Hi all,
Upon re-torquing up the mounting bolts on the l/h caliper I could only achieve about 26nm on the top bolt (manual states 30nm)
On removal I can see a few threads of aluminium so the caliper is threaded- thought it felt a bit loose when I undid it.
Whacked some threadlock in there and got it back up to 26nm but obviously don't wanna risk anything dodgy in this area..
Looked on eBay but calipers are fetching 40quid unless I order from the states and get one for under 30 but with a wait.
Question is..
Does anybody have a cleanish one knocking about they could send for cheap that will work without needing new seals or pistons etc?
Thanks in advance!

I've got a few callipers knocking about Freddy...I'll drop you a PM shortly.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

MacV2 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Question is..
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that, let me know what you find.
I was also thinking about the possibility of repairing mine with a helicoil insert if it would do a good job of it..
Hmmm?.
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fatfreddy000 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:31 pm
MacV2 wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:50 pm
Question is..
Thanks in advance!

Thanks for that, let me know what you find.
I was also thinking about the possibility of repairing mine with a helicoil insert if it would do a good job of it..

Hmmm?.
PM in your inbox waiting to be read. :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...