stator inspection cap

Moderator: VTRDark

motojohn

stator inspection cap

Post by motojohn »

bit o fa long shot but i found today the inspection cap is made of cheese ,all would have been ok but the last owner glued it in place ?? i dont know why so i had to heat it up to get it out
so anybody got one for sale before i look on ebay
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
Wicky

Re: stator inspection cap

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Super common to find them over tightened, on all makes and models.... I probable replace 10-12 a year.

Folks think they need to tighten them like a fastener holding on the propeller to an airplane.
And its easy to over tighten them...more than just snug, light contact after seated and the aluminum on aluminum threads bind as well as the cap seating surface to case.

The best way I have found to get them off in usable condition is to put a hex bit (or socket if an external hex type)on my 3/8 air impact and let er rip...it either comes off with no damage (75/25) or it strips the hex (25/75) Doing it with a ratchet, hex key, non impact air or electric tool, strips them more times then not.
The slightest bit of anti seize on the threads and the rim surface that contacts the case does seem to help in future removal....and I've never had one loosen on its own.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

Wicky wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am Generator cover inspection bolt > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=40797
thanks for that Wicky got one on order
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

E.Marquez wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:42 pm Super common to find them over tightened, on all makes and models.... I probable replace 10-12 a year.

Folks think they need to tighten them like a fastener holding on the propeller to an airplane.
And its easy to over tighten them...more than just snug, light contact after seated and the aluminum on aluminum threads bind as well as the cap seating surface to case.

The best way I have found to get them off in usable condition is to put a hex bit (or socket if an external hex type)on my 3/8 air impact and let er rip...it either comes off with no damage (75/25) or it strips the hex (25/75) Doing it with a ratchet, hex key, non impact air or electric tool, strips them more times then not.
The slightest bit of anti seize on the threads and the rim surface that contacts the case does seem to help in future removal....and I've never had one loosen on its own.
I bought myself a cheap electric impact driver two years ago, and have used it only 5 times since I bought it, but each of those times has been a moment where I'm positive that using any other driver would have rounded out a fastener. Well worth the investment if you are a DIY-er.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

sometimes it can be vero boring take them off. in worst cases I use this one:
sector.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

http://www.usag.it/catalog/en/products/ ... round_pins#

What size version and how much did it cost?

UK equivalent special tool/s most commonly used for stubborn cheesey cap removal is a BFO hammer with a chiselly drift...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts