Mattycoops Resto project

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
mattycoops43

Mattycoops Resto project

Post by mattycoops43 »

Hi folks.

Thought I would make a proper post here as I am actually getting on with this bike now. I bought a ropey one, got properly ripped off, because despite knowing 4cyl bikes, I had not had a twin for many years and didn't know it wasn't meant to sound like bolts shaking round in a can, and was also not told it had been front ended, bent forks, twisted yokes etc etc.

First off I just did the bare essentials to get it roadworthy, replaced the fork stanchions, yokes, discs, new headstock bearings and a few other bits and bobs. Fitted some of Bazzers manual CCTs and discovered the timing was three teeth out on the front head valves. Ended up with a tatty but running storm like this:

I then did some tidying up of the bodypanels, there is a lot of cracking in the paint where it was repainted, quite nicely in a metal flake black, but a long time ago and it hasn't stood the test of time well, so I sourced a better tank, and painted that and my seat unit and hump black, did the headlight surround white and fitted an orange screen.

At the same time I replaced the reg rec which had died with a new Mosfet one from the USA. Came as a nice kit with all the connectors and waterproof bits and bobs. It's a tight fit but just fits inside the seat unit with a few mm to spare.

So, I recently sold my Fazer, which freed up some cash for the Storm fund, I have decided not to do a total strip down at the moment because summer is on the way and I want to ride it. The plan is to do a complete break down in the winter and get the frame and swingarm and probably engine powdercoated. For now, I have bought Jamoi's set of black body panels and tank which is going on, the wheels, subframe and fairing bracket have been powder coated. I stripped it to the engine in frame and forks so I could give everything else a good clean up. Picked up the wheels today and went straight to the tyre place and go some PR4s fitted. Also collected my seat which has been done by a local guy and looks stunning.

Bits to fit now, new rear disc as it has cracks, new rear brake fluid reservoir as one of the bolts was seized. (I got it free but it's made a mess). I have soem OE handlebar grips and some red anodised bar ends to go on.

Red and White Honda wheel tapes (block ones) hopefully being done by my Brother in law. All the fairings etc need a good clean and tidy and then it's going on.

I will keep this thread updated as I go.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Mav617

Re: Mattycoops Resto project

Post by Mav617 »

Good work fella!! :clap:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice work :thumbup:
AMcQ
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

:thumbup: looking good mate.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

you should be well chuffed looks great!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Looking good and great plans :thumbup: - just please ditch the orange screen :thumbdown: clear, smoked or iridium anything but orange.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Oh yes I forgot about the front end when you first got it. It's come a long way since and looking good. I'm with Wicky with the screeen though, it don't suit it.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Don't worry folks, I am going with the black one from jamie. It will be all black with the red lettering as original. The engine and pegs etc etc will probably go satin black in the winter rebuild. I am unsure what to do with the frame. Liking polished as it would be the only silver on the bike, but I don't fancy the upkeep. I did have a cheeky thought the other day, the honda lettering is quite a dark red on the black fairing, almost like it's faded out or translucent, I have seen my local powder coater do an AMAZING candy red, translucent red over chrome powder coat, and I was thinking it could really work on the frame if everything else was black.

OR it could look total gash.

Not sure.

Anyone able to take a pic of Jamies as it was, all black and make the frame and swinger red chrome?

:beer:

Also forgot, Black top yoke on the way as mine is probably the tattiest thing on it at the moment.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well done mate, it's looking really good. I like the understated seat covering. Nicely done fella :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Anyone able to take a pic of Jamies as it was, all black and make the frame and swinger red chrome?
Have you got a pic in mind. I've been searching and searching for a full side on view of his bike with no luck...well, I'm getting bored searching through threads. :lol:

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

well done matty
you've turned a lemon of a bike into something to be proud of..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

cybercarl wrote:
Have you got a pic in mind. I've been searching and searching for a full side on view of his bike with no luck...well, I'm getting bored searching through threads. :lol:

I thought there was a load on a thread somewhere but I have this one, it's not great but it will do.

Combining that with this finish: (if this link works) on the frame.

It would certainly be different. and low maintenance too.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

This is better. Silver frame and swinger on a black bike. Can anyone put a red shading over the frame and swinger in this pic to make it look red chrome?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.st ... mg0900.jpg
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A quick rough. Red frame is too overpowering IMO (shame about the engines, before someone comments :roll: ). You have to be careful with Reds unless your Chinese. It will only go well against Black in small doses. Just like in nature.

mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

I actually like that! The rest of my bike will be more black as well. Would need knightrider lights though.