Aftermarket radiators

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Smokinjoe73

Aftermarket radiators

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

So after riding almost every day through the longest NYC winter ever (down to 0*F) my bike is very cruddy.

I have been having cooling issues since I spend more time in traffic that open road.

So I bought some aftermarket Chinese radiators.

Kind of a tricky fit but nearly twice as thick. They cool way better and I am very happy but I cant find a fan switch to fit. I have the fan on a manual switch now.

Has anyone used these rads and found a switch to fit?

Here is a link to the ebay auction. Not sure if its openable in the UK.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/aluminum-radiat ... 400wt_1460
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
gl_s_r

Re: Aftermarket radiators

Post by gl_s_r »

This will be interesting as I have had my eye on these for a while but not needed to buy them yet.

Not sure if you can make an adapter or not as I haven't seen them in the flesh but I would like to think so if the hole is bigger than the sensor?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

No, actually, the hole is a bit smaller. I coulda welded some threads from a hollow banjo bolt on the old switch but didnt want to travel that road.

I search every auto parts store in person and online.

Found one that would fit (its M14 x 1.5). And has a good temp range (@ 97C).

Gonna pick it up tomorrow here in the City.

Other than that these rads are great. Almost twice as thick as stock and way more efficient. I need the fan much less than before in equal conditions.

I have the fan on a manual switch for now. They do take some "finesse" to get them to hold the fan but nothing a slat of aluminum, a jigsaw and drillpoint screw cant handle.

When the fan comes on it actually drops the temp even in traffic. With stockers I only ever even broke even. Its gotten to 90*F (32.2C) here and it still lowered the temp so I am more than happy.
Last edited by Smokinjoe73 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Givi wingrack,CBR600 dash,CBR1000 forks, corbin, mario nava carbon fairing, 2bro carbon cans, vista cruise, GSXR mirrors.
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Oh yeah so here is the other switches that should work. Most are for late 80s bmw's

HELLA FS8010... NAPA ECHLIN FS198 ...WELLS SW1802 ...ACDELCO E186C... BWD TFS544

MASTERPRO 2-8481 TRIDON TFS106

If anyone else uses this info, know that it took me hours and days to track it down, going to 6 different autoparts stores, some without altercations, some that may welcome me back,

some actually DO keep the survelance tapes.........

I will post tomorrow after I try to install it. I plan to use a lot of upper case letters if it works, and maybe some if it doesnt.

One other thing, most shops want yr/mk/mdl so they fit bmw '1991 318i,, 91 325i,, '91 M3.... and a few more.

You just need an M14 x 1.5 that opens from 95-100*C. I like to keep it cooler sooner so prefer 95.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good legwork there Joe, sounds like you didnt make many friends in the autoparts shops
AMcQ
Smokinjoe73

Post by Smokinjoe73 »

Got the fan switch today. Also bought a dvr to pay less to the bloodsucking cable co but thats a different story.

The shop got me an Intermotor (brand) TS288. Its a 91* 2 blade switch so I had to ground it. This search was annoying enuff that I didnt care.

Took the bike out to try to heat it up. Amazing how hard that is when you are trying.

Fan happily cam on around 207*F, off at 197ish. The amazing thing is that with the new rads it acually cools much faster.

The other awesome thing I did & have wanted to for a while is have a dash light come on when the fan is running. My CBR dash had an unused red idiot light for FI on the donor bike.

Now I know if the fan is running. Before this I had to paint white out stripes on the fan to see if its spinning.

So my conclusion is myth busted.,, I mean, these rads are great. Anyone thinking of them, I have boldly forged ahead and done the donkey work.

That is all. Carry on...

PS. Have a bunch of pics to post but for some reason cant do it. Anyone want to tell me how? Do I need a url? I cant upload from my PC?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Smokinjoe73 wrote:
PS. Have a bunch of pics to post but for some reason cant do it. Anyone want to tell me how? Do I need a url? I cant upload from my PC?
Have a look in the General Test Area, top sticky post.

Don't, by the way, google sticky Testes area, it's not the same sort of pictures at all.
Apparently.
Just don't.

Oh, fer godsake, you just can't resist, can you....
Now I'm disappointed.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You cant upload direct from your PC Joe. Use and image host and post the url into image tags. By the way, thanks for posting the info on the rads. It's always nice to have a reference to things like this. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

great work joe, there are times when stuck in central London traffic when I could do with these..... :roll:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

cheers Joe . thats good to know those rads are decent.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: