US/UK VTR Project.

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
chrisgreer23

Re: US/UK VTR Project.

Post by chrisgreer23 »

I think I have the fuel tap in the off position. I'll be out in the garage tonight. So I'll troubleshoot it further.

I should have the bike fully together.
If a job is worth doing, its worth doing correctly.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

With the weather warming up you should be on the road soon - I fancy a ride up the Thetford chase soon!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Wicky wrote:With the weather warming up you should be on the road soon - I fancy a ride up the Thetford chase soon!
Saw Chris last week .... some nice roads through the forests that way. i rode down from near spalding via kings lynn and came back via downham market and wisbich
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

What time are you coming tomorrow Stuart?
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

3pm ish
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

there is a hissing noise when opening the gas cap
Vaccum lock. This is the same effect as when someone overfills the tank and fuel expands and causes a vacuum lock. More of a problem in the US in hotter states than here but is a known issue. Check the vent in the fuel cap.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Ok, so the tap was off. The bike runs now but I need to give it some throttle to keep it running. I havnt done any idle adjustments. The only thing ive done that has anything to do with fuel (besides put a different tank on), is delete the return throttle cable.

Pictures below is under the tank. The two large hoses are main fuel, the small one runs to the carbs. There is no other connections to the tap besides that large hose. Any thoughts?

chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

All together. Just ironing out a few more things. Still need turn signals -_-

The ones the multicolored bike had were glued to the fairing, in a somewhat permanent manner.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Are you sure the smaller diameter hose runs to the carbs - trace it and see if it doesn't connect to a take off on the rear cylinder inlet tract - I suspect it's a a vacuum hose. With it connected like that when the bike runs you are effectively creating vacuum lock in the tank restricting fuel flow As suggested earlier you need to block off the vacuum hose (useful for carb balancing / running Scottoiler) and find the two overflow drain and tank vent hoses and connect them to the base of the tank.

Good opportunity to also fit a front cylinder take off and some plugged hose so you can easily balance the carbs. http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=18430
chrisgreer23 wrote:Ok, so the tap was off. The bike runs now but I need to give it some throttle to keep it running. I havnt done any idle adjustments. The only thing ive done that has anything to do with fuel (besides put a different tank on), is delete the return throttle cable.

Pictures below is under the tank. The two large hoses are main fuel, the small one runs to the carbs. There is no other connections to the tap besides that large hose. Any thoughts?

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Yellow, black, purple and silver. Not completely random.

chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Waiting on fundage before I can get the mot done.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

is it running right , it sounded like it was there or there abouts when i left
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

I think so. I havnt filled it up yet. I don't see a point till I'm ready to have it motd.
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

Took it outside for some pictures:
chrisgreer23

Post by chrisgreer23 »

So the bike isn't running correctly. The front cylender is only firing about 10 percent at idle and about half the time at 10-15 mph. The vacuum lines that used to run to the tank have been blocked off correctly, the tank has plenty of fuel, and the fuel tap is in the "on" position.

During the frame swap, I didn't do anything with the carbs and before I did any work, the bike ran absolutely fine. I had it started a few times and I even rode it around my housing estate. No huckups, no backfires and no fuel/running issues.

Two things I have to check: the condition of the front spark plug and to see if there is a vacuum being created in the tank during running. If none of those produce anything definitive, maybe a carb sync is on the cards? I did nothing with the carbs in my recent work besides pulling the air box and there is no significant elevation difference between Cambridge and Thetford, so I dont know what would have put them out of whack.

Any ideas my peoples? I'll be off starting sunday so I'll have many hours to test stuff. I really would like this running because my neighbor just picked up a mint condition SV650 and I havnt been able to ride for over a year.