VTR Down Under

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Elchappo76

Re: VTR Down Under

Post by Elchappo76 »

Twitchy wrote:Its been a while but starting to get my life back together after a busy and stressful period sorting out an estate and business, which is just great when I am not listed as authorised contact for any suppliers/creditors. The amount of hurdles is abso frickin lutely ridiculous. Anyhoo, my time is now available to play with mechanical stuff!!!

But firstly a brief update; sold my beloved 2005 Landcruiser (Amazon for the Brits!), which I had spent a shedload of cash on to take a 4.2 litre turbo diesel from a factory 143 kW & 430nm at the flywheel to 285 kW & 879nm engine corrected (from memory it was 233 kW & 804 nm at the rear wheels) all on 33" tyres. You can imagine how 38 pound of boost kicking in at 2200 rpm felt. Changing in to 4th gear at about 90 km/h on a wet road she would have traction issues till about 130!!!! That car took our little family for 9000 kms across Oz at an average 12.9 l/100, but with the delivery of a company car as part of my promotion, it sat and I couldn't bear to see that. The pain of selling the Cruiser was eased by this;

Yes Marc and Mav can co-exist!! 2014 Yamaha MT-09 (FZ-09) owned from new by the service manager of a Yamaha dealer, he threw a lot of extra bits at it, and I got it for a steal. Apparently 130 hp (dyno yet to confirm) which puts it 32 hp more and 15kgs lighter than VTRDU. It goes like f^ck!! Power delivery is ultra smooth and deceptively rapid, and surprisingly good on fuel compared to the VTR. Then again the QE2 is probably better on fuel than the Honda!!!

And in very recent history, Cyclops LED headlight went in - schools still out on that, 45 pilots out, 48s in, actually got the idle drop procedure to work (which makes me think the fuelling was too far our before for this to work), and now have 2.5 front and 2.75 rear, balanced and 503 ohms. But now I have a fuel leak which is not showing itself. Pungent aroma predominantly left side, more at diaphragm area than carb area. Zero telltale moisture marks, so waiting for new hoses to try to rectify this little issue.

So I bought another bike for 1 main reason, to ride while I play with the Honda, then I'll sell it.... Well according to her anyway :think:

I am starting to scour fleabay for goodies, and read and reread threads here and on SH. I have already sourced an SP2 swingarm complete with linkages, bolts, spacers & bearings, I have my eye on SP1 forks and wheels, and checking out CBR954RR triples. I think you see where I am going with this. I also have done some homework on another mod which I want to do but that ones a secret for now.

Stay tuned for the next episode of OCMD Down Under....
Mate luv ya work ..as im in middle of similar procedure ..and was wondering if anyone ftom aus on here.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Elchappo76 wrote:Mate luv ya work ..as im in middle of similar procedure ..and was wondering if anyone ftom aus on here.

Hey mate, welcome. I see in your thread you're in NSW. From memory Kenmoore is south west NSW, he should chime in soon. Good luck with the project. I like your muffler position, might end up doing something similar.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
Elchappo76

Post by Elchappo76 »

Twitchy wrote:
Elchappo76 wrote:Mate luv ya work ..as im in middle of similar procedure ..and was wondering if anyone ftom aus on here.

Hey mate, welcome. I see in your thread you're in NSW. From memory Kenmoore is south west NSW, he should chime in soon. Good luck with the project. I like your muffler position, might end up doing something similar.
Thank you mate ..be good to go through this project with some ideas and knowledge involved ..and luv the work of this site. .

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twitchy wrote:Its been a while but starting to get my life back together after a busy and stressful period sorting out an estate and business, which is just great when I am not listed as authorised contact for any suppliers/creditors. The amount of hurdles is abso frickin lutely ridiculous. Anyhoo, my time is now available to play with mechanical stuff!!!

But firstly a brief update; sold my beloved 2005 Landcruiser (Amazon for the Brits!), which I had spent a shedload of cash on to take a 4.2 litre turbo diesel from a factory 143 kW & 430nm at the flywheel to 285 kW & 879nm engine corrected (from memory it was 233 kW & 804 nm at the rear wheels) all on 33" tyres. You can imagine how 38 pound of boost kicking in at 2200 rpm felt. Changing in to 4th gear at about 90 km/h on a wet road she would have traction issues till about 130!!!! That car took our little family for 9000 kms across Oz at an average 12.9 l/100, but with the delivery of a company car as part of my promotion, it sat and I couldn't bear to see that. The pain of selling the Cruiser was eased by this;

Yes Marc and Mav can co-exist!! 2014 Yamaha MT-09 (FZ-09) owned from new by the service manager of a Yamaha dealer, he threw a lot of extra bits at it, and I got it for a steal. Apparently 130 hp (dyno yet to confirm) which puts it 32 hp more and 15kgs lighter than VTRDU. It goes like f^ck!! Power delivery is ultra smooth and deceptively rapid, and surprisingly good on fuel compared to the VTR. Then again the QE2 is probably better on fuel than the Honda!!!

And in very recent history, Cyclops LED headlight went in - schools still out on that, 45 pilots out, 48s in, actually got the idle drop procedure to work (which makes me think the fuelling was too far our before for this to work), and now have 2.5 front and 2.75 rear, balanced and 503 ohms. But now I have a fuel leak which is not showing itself. Pungent aroma predominantly left side, more at diaphragm area than carb area. Zero telltale moisture marks, so waiting for new hoses to try to rectify this little issue.

So I bought another bike for 1 main reason, to ride while I play with the Honda, then I'll sell it.... Well according to her anyway :think:

I am starting to scour fleabay for goodies, and read and reread threads here and on SH. I have already sourced an SP2 swingarm complete with linkages, bolts, spacers & bearings, I have my eye on SP1 forks and wheels, and checking out CBR954RR triples. I think you see where I am going with this. I also have done some homework on another mod which I want to do but that ones a secret for now.

Stay tuned for the next episode of OCMD Down Under....
Good luck with what you have planned for your VTR Twitchy :D
Those MT-09's are meant to be quite good :thumbup:

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Starting to get the shed rearranged to clear shelf space for the job of stripping the front and rear off the bike. Maybe front first though!

In the meantime, some eye candy;
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Bling bling, some lovely parts there Twitchy 8)

Chris.
xeris

Post by xeris »

Twitchy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:17 am As for The Battle of the Bars, it all started due to my height. I want the levers further down, further than the axial m/c allows. This led to the Convertibars. But due to the extra height, the clutch reservoir fouls inside the fairing. So that brings on a radial setup, where I can crank the levers down as I am not restricted by the reservoir angle, or reservoir cup fouling anything. Then the switch block fouls the fairing because of the extra height of the bars. So I employ the flexibility of the Convertibars, having the bars set back, the bars hit the tank well before the stops. Having the bars out to the sides, the switch block hits the fairing. Having the bars sit right forward, the lever hits the speedo surround. I have spent (wasted) so much time trying many different positions & combinations, that I was ready to burn the f@^king things. I have not been in the shed for nearly a week, that s how bad I don't want to look at my bike. Worse than the Great Carb Debacle of 2015.

So, the plan now is to machine the Convertibar clamp down. The clamp, which they call the Cyclops clamp, is 40mm thick/high. I havent measured the factory clipon clamp, but it is nowhere near 40mm. I am going to skim down a piece of bar or pipe to 41mm, clamp the Cyclops clamp to that, and gently skim it down, 6mm at each side, giving me 28mm thickness/height. So when the clamp is on the fork, the bar will sit lower down, giving me the clearance I need to mount everything up. Annoyed I have to resort to such measures on a 'bolt on' item that cost me nearly $600, but seems to be necessary. I will post up some pics when it is done.
Came by this thread a couple of days ago. With a couple of small details this is the same experience that I have had, minus the the "Carb Debacle".
Fitting new bars, and getting the masters, both sides to clear, was maybe the most frustrating part of the whole fork swap I did.
I too purchased a ZX14 clutch master to get a remote reservoir to clear the faring, and hopefully arrive at a better angle for the lever. Currently the stock clutch master will only rotate so far before it comes in contact with the bar. I would like a bit more to get the ergonomics right for me.
I went with Tomaselli bars. They offered good adjustability at a much better price than the other aftermarket bars I looked at. Especially the Convertibars, which I think are the ones that you are using.
I want to ask what you did for the mounting of the reservoir on the ZX14 clutch master. I'm eventually going to install mine, but will need a new clutch line made up first. In the mean time I have made an end run around the faring clearance issue by modifying the stock master to use a remote reservoir.
Her is link to some photos. https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/m ... 637/page2/
Feel some of your pain. That was a long, bumpy road you were on.
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”
~ Mark Twain
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

G'day Twitchy,

as I may be a VTR owner in Perth WA by lunch tomorrow I'm wondering if you've heard of a working mechanic in WA who is a VTR wizard?

From reading most of this thread, I was very curious to see how it turned out, I can see you do most of your own work.

I've happily had my Yamaha trained mate Andy at Midvale, BikeDoctor Dave Rawson in North Perth and Cullys do work for me and because Pro Twin in Malaga isn't answering the phone I thought you may have something to say on the subject... All these mechanics are fine but I'm now picky about 'experience-saves-money' and my local, Cullys, only service Yamahas.

How's your VTR today, I'm guessing it's moving away from factory spec.,.

If nothing else local fitting of after market cans will be wanted... which reminds me, Staintune Australia hasn't replied to my email...

I would have sent you a PM but as a newbie it is verboten !

Thanks mate.

Chris.
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

G'day Chris, PM sent.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

So while I haven't been active much lately, doesn't mean I have been totally idle. I have purchased and installed a pair of H Power velocity stacks. Holy sh!t these are a work of art, it is such a shame to hide these away in the airbox! I am still playing with the jetting on these, still not quite there. I had a really crap range from about 3400 - 4200 at steady cruise, which felt like too much juice going down the hole. So, as per Bills suggestion, I went down another size on the mains (1 size initially). So since stack install, I have gone down 2 sizes on the mains, now 172 front and 175 rear(as yet untried), and (Bills recommendation) gone up 1 to a #50 pilot. Last dyno showed the #48 was probably a bit big, but Bill suggested up 1 on the pilot so we'll see. Also doing some extra reading about the FP & HRC kits, the rich condition in the mid range could be from the slide with 2 holes opening a bit too soon. Tonight I have just plugged the second lift holes on the slides ready to install over the weekend. A bit more experimenting I'm sure! Also need to get some little breather filters to clean up the box, but a few plans in that area too...

Also sourced these quick release fuel couplings. Getting sick of faffing about with the spring clips to get the fuel lines off the diaphragm housing (no fuel tap on my 06) and got these bad boys. 100mm total length, really quite light (will measure tomorrow), actually reasonably hard to push together against the seal, check valve in each side, and flows 105 gallons per hour at 5psi - more than enough for the Facet 40171 that is next on the list!

And I washed this thing and whacked it on the market. Time for it to go, don't enjoy it as much as the VTR, and I need the cash to get the SP2 swinger and SP1 forks on and done (and maybe some other bits and bobs - OCMD much???!)

Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Twitchy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 pm ... more than enough for the Facet 40171 that is next on the list!
seems like we have the same list :)
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twitchy wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:12 pm So while I haven't been active much lately, doesn't mean I have been totally idle. I have purchased and installed a pair of H Power velocity stacks. Holy sh!t these are a work of art, it is such a shame to hide these away in the airbox! I am still playing with the jetting on these, still not quite there. I had a really crap range from about 3400 - 4200 at steady cruise, which felt like too much juice going down the hole. So, as per Bills suggestion, I went down another size on the mains (1 size initially). So since stack install, I have gone down 2 sizes on the mains, now 172 front and 175 rear(as yet untried), and (Bills recommendation) gone up 1 to a #50 pilot. Last dyno showed the #48 was probably a bit big, but Bill suggested up 1 on the pilot so we'll see. Also doing some extra reading about the FP & HRC kits, the rich condition in the mid range could be from the slide with 2 holes opening a bit too soon. Tonight I have just plugged the second lift holes on the slides ready to install over the weekend. A bit more experimenting I'm sure! Also need to get some little breather filters to clean up the box, but a few plans in that area too...

8) you shouldn't go showing me pictures of bling like that :lol:

It sounds like you are getting close with your jetting, fingers crossed you are nearly there.

What's not to like about the MT-09 out of interest :?:

Chris.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pmWhat's not to like about the MT09 out of interest :?:

Chris.
Hi Chris, people will think I 'm stupid letting it go because it really is the perfect bike for 95% of the time. Having slightly shorter wheelbase and more aggressive geometry at the front, this bike is ridiculously manoeuvrable & flickable, the 849cc triple revs up quick so even in taller gears it still picks up speed rapidly, it is really quite fuel efficient even when fast riding the windy roads, and is pretty comfortable. It is aimed at urban riding and it does it soooo well. The perfect commuter bike.

BUT.... the triple buzz (exhaust sound) at most speeds is starting to annoy the hell outta me, even with the Woodcraft bar conversion (lower than std) I still feel to upright, no screen to help move the wind buffeting, it just doesn't cut it for me. I have always loved V8s, Ford, Holden (GM), Valiant (Chrysler), and others. Australia has always have a love for the bent 8 and its in my blood. The lumpy idle, the rumble, the sound, the character, the soul of a carby V8 - its alive and its heart beats with you. The VTR replicates that more than you think, and I love it. The MT just does not have that character, that x factor. The thing you cannot put your finger on but you know is missing. A work colleague of my mate has sold his MT-09 and bought an MT-10 for exactly the same reason - the MT-09 has no feeling. But the MT-10? that cross plane crank sound... I nearly sold the VTR & MT-09 and got one. Do yourself a favour and watch this; and tell me that sound doesn't move you.

Cheers, Gene.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

That's a passioned argument there, but a great assessment of the key thing we love about the storm.... It's character and its noise
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Twitchy wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:51 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:03 pmWhat's not to like about the MT-09 out of interest :?:

Chris.
Hi Chris, people will think I 'm stupid letting it go because it really is the perfect bike for 95% of the time. Having slightly shorter wheelbase and more aggressive geometry at the front, this bike is ridiculously manoeuvrable & flickable, the 849cc triple revs up quick so even in taller gears it still picks up speed rapidly, it is really quite fuel efficient even when fast riding the windy roads, and is pretty comfortable. It is aimed at urban riding and it does it soooo well. The perfect commuter bike.

BUT.... the triple buzz (exhaust sound) at most speeds is starting to annoy the hell outta me, even with the Woodcraft bar conversion (lower than std) I still feel to upright, no screen to help move the wind buffeting, it just doesn't cut it for me. I have always loved V8s, Ford, Holden (GM), Valiant (Chrysler), and others. Australia has always have a love for the bent 8 and its in my blood. The lumpy idle, the rumble, the sound, the character, the soul of a carby V8 - its alive and its heart beats with you. The VTR replicates that more than you think, and I love it. The MT just does not have that character, that x factor. The thing you cannot put your finger on but you know is missing. A work colleague of my mate has sold his MT-09 and bought an MT-10 for exactly the same reason - the MT-09 has no feeling. But the MT-10? that cross plane crank sound... I nearly sold the VTR & MT-09 and got one. Do yourself a favour and watch this; and tell me that sound doesn't move you.

Cheers, Gene.
Gene, Many thanks for your reply, very interesting to hear your opinion on the MT-09. I think without any protecting from the wind buffeting would be enough to put me off, although may be a small screen could be fitted to reduce that, or if it already has one perhaps not :)

I think you could be on to something there regarding the V8 thing. For me (although I probably don't realise that much) growing up in my younger years I spent a good number of years with Triumph 650/750 based motorcycles which were all parallel twins. So I think I luv the VTR Vee twin so much is due to it being a similar bike in a way, albeit being a Vee twin and not a parallel twin. So I'm sort of reliving my youth so-to-speak :lol:

Regarding your video link, the MT-10 in it with it's aftermarket exhaust does sounds amazing, but it's not a Vee twin :wink: It will be interesting to see how your mate rates this bike after he's had it for a reasonable length of time. Malc (Popkat) also has an MT-10,

Cheers,

Chris.