VTR Down Under

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
kenmoore

Re: VTR Down Under

Post by kenmoore »

Glad to hear your enjoying the VTR and it's running better.

There is always something to do to these old girls.

My experience is that the more you ride them the less you have to do.

I have an SJ4000 which is a cheap copy of a go pro that is mounted on the left side of my helmet, I have ordered an aluminium base mounting plate from e bay for it and intend to mount it somewhere on the front of the bike with a remote microphone mounted at the rear somewhere. I had a setup like that for my contour roam 2 camera until it sh1t itself and now contour are out of business I can't get it fixed.

The reason I want to mount the camera to the front fairing is that at high speed you can feel the effect of the camera on the helmet.

I have hel brake lines , cbr600f4i calipers and ferodo HH pads, you will notice a huge improvement.

Post some pics of your bike when you get a chance.

Cheers! :thumbup:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Check this out!!!!!!!! SP2 calipers YEAH!!!

But there is some damage;
That is the inner edge/corner of the left side caliper. Hopefully it wont affect the operation.

Need to clean them up a bit, bolt them on (after grinding), get the CBR1KRR levers on with the Convertibars and that should keep me happy! Well, until the shift star gets here!
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
Build thread; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36638
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Nice one mate.

Got myself some sp1 calipers recently. They're in good shape but need a little paint.

Blue One
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Am I being a bit pedantic if the 2 SP2 calipers are not the same shade?

The one on the left looks nice and fresh, the one on the right still looks dirty. This is after a wash in the parts washer at work (kero pumped through a nylon bristle brush). Can I get it any better?

Also, the pistons;

The pitting is not actual holes or dents in the surface, but raised, like particles stuck there, and REALLY well! Question for the brains trust, do I run over them with some 1200 grit wet n dry, or replace them? US$24 each from partzilla says I emery them, but concerned with the ultra fine scoring letting brake fluid through.
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
06 VTR1000F; bits by Jack Flash, Erik Marquez & Jamie Daugherty. SP/954 front and SP2 rear in the works.
stokesy

Post by stokesy »

Polish the pistons with some autosol or similar
Worked for me :D
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Just an update for everyone. Having pain in the a$$ clunk die issues, and compiled a theory here; http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38774
Got new petcock setup, old diaphragm did look pretty average compared to new one. Installed new rubber vac line from petcock to tee piece (to engine and remote balance line), removed remote balance line and put a cap on the tee with a fuel line clip (spring type hose clamp). Cranked up air compressor and blew out the fat line on the bottom of the tank (fuel filler overflow) by removing hose from tank, blowing down the tube and up the pipe. Removed the smaller line from bottom of tank (tank breather), blew down the line and up the tube. Where does the smaller line go? It didn't sound like the end of the hose was down with the others near the oil filter?

This morning it was a dog. First 2 traffic lights, drooping idle worse than before and clunk f@#king die :x . Now have to hold the throttle at 1500 while waiting for the lights - which can be a while :thumbsdown:
stokesy wrote:Polish the pistons with some autosol or similar
Worked for me :D
And Autosol worked a treat thanks. A guy at work suggested using carpet as cloth not rough enough but a scourer too aggressive. Magic! All the raised bits all gone, obviously the tiny pitting is still there, but it looks to me like it is past the reach of the main seal, and most of it past the dust seal so I reckon it will be sweet.

Also received the Shift Star kit as well, so while this is prime riding weather, tempted to pull it apart to get the improvement!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Mate,

You have more patience than Jobe!

I would be tearing my hair out by now!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Righto, went out today and found a good straight stretch of industrial estate. Did a practice run, then got up to 5500rpm in 3rd and held it when I hit the kill switch.
Front plug is left, rear plug is right;

These plugs have been installed, started, warmed up to 80 degrees in the driveway, fuel screws out 1/2 turn and carb balance yesterday, then done 9 kms today mainly working between 3k and 6k rpm before shutoff.

Now what exactly do I do with them for a successful plug chop and interpretation?
Thanks.
Last edited by Twitchy on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Any Haynes manual has a plug colour chart page. Have you got one?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Hey Tony, no manual but did the google hunt this arvo. Puzzles me as the lower part is black but the tip is bright white. This tells me its too lean however... I may have done it wrong. Seems to be the consensus that one runs for a kilometre or so at xx throttle position at xx rpm and then hits the kill switch. Might need new plugs and redo it on a longer bit of road. I haven't cut these open yet but have to say it wasn't as difficult to do on the side of the road as I thought. Might look at getting a box of plugs....

And the drooping idle was worse today after winding screws out 1/2 turn - but it still hangs up at 2100ish. That RSV4 is looking REAL nice....

EDIT; I held it at whatever throttle position (about 1/3 I think) till I was steady at 5500 when killing it. Perhaps 100 metres or so, definitely not a kilometre or more.
VTR Phoenix

Post by VTR Phoenix »

If they are brand new plugs and that is all the mileage you've covered on them then I think they look a little sooty for the usage
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Nah. These bikes run better a little rich, the carb's so big they don't burn all the fuel properly anyway.
The white insulator seems to indicate that it's running too advanced, not too lean...
I'd say you have a slightly rich mixture with a bit too much advance- have you got an ignition advancer fitted?
Otherwise, check the tps, failing that, try swapping the ignition module with a mate to see if that cures it.

You could try dropping to an 8 (colder) plug instead of a 9, but it shouldn't need it..
You aren't at altitude, are you?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Twitchy

Post by Twitchy »

Not sure about the advancer, PO had DJ kit and KN filter so anything is possible. Got my shift star in the cupboard so maybe I should do that & check out the advancer at the same time. Been putting off until winter but need to pull my finger out and get it done.

I will say though that I moved the gear linkage clockwise one spline on the selector shaft, then cranked the lever down a bit further than it was and it does seem to shift a tad better.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

are they new plugs? if they are go find your old ones and do your plug chops with those. always use old plugs for a plug chop it gives you a far better reading.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

I see you are not using Irridiums, what plug code are you using?