Flying Finn (still without wings...)

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
MYle

Flying Finn (still without wings...)

Post by MYle »

Hello people!

I was asking about US-version ICU on the US forum and also here, so I think better to post few pics of my project.

My bike is 2002 Firestorm which I bought from an insurance company last spring. Because of my work I'm not much at home so this project is being postponed until now...

The bike had minor damages; the fairings were missing as well as the seat, blinkers, etc. The Ignition switch was smashed and there was no hiss antenna.
On the good side there was quite modest mileage: 46 000 km (approx 29 000 miles), and the bike was not fallen over, mirrors were non-scrached as well as the engine sides. I wasn't able to start the engine so I took a small change with the condition of the engine...

First I tought it is easy to get this running; just purchase new HISS -antenna and since I got the original keys, it would be good to go...but as nothing goes like movies, there was more to come...

Here is the bike in the insurance company:

Link to the pict:

http://aijaa.com/nx4O6H

I took the bike home and stripped it in the shop...

Link: http://aijaa.com/8qIsFF

Will continue once test the photos show...
MYle

Re: Flying Finn (still without wings...)

Post by MYle »

Ok.

Added links to the photos in previous mail.

I was able to purchase 1998 CBR900 fairings and backframe very cheap so I decided to try to fit those to my VTR.
I'm not making a CBR copy and I understand some people dislike other than original looks, but hey, this is not the rarest vintage and it's mine...

So first testing how the back looks:

Link:http://aijaa.com/kUJFAS

And it looked awfull so I needed to cut the frame to make it shorter...

Link:http://aijaa.com/mkrvCc

More cutting...

Link:http://aijaa.com/tsMekx

And finally it started look decent.

Link:http://aijaa.com/hsvH97
MYle

Post by MYle »

For connecting the subframe to the bike frame I made connecting piece from 70 mm Aluminium bar with milling machine and welded that to the subframe. I also made triangle pieces from flat aluminium which I bolted to the sub-frame bars (I trust more on bolting than my aluminium welding...) I later also secured the connecting piece with bolts on the sides.

Finished back frame:

Link:http://aijaa.com/wRSjly

Between the mods I've been testing the ignition. Got new ignition switch, upper yoke, new lock set, one new HISS-antenna. Tried to start the bike with new HISS-antenna. Got another antenna with the ignition key, tried again but no response from the ICU. The HISS indicator kept red.
I also manufactured a cable with some wire, alligator clips and 100 ohm resistor, connected that to the ICU, but no response.

Then I ordered the US -version ICU. Got the engine starting but no spark.

I also purchased a Hantek 8 channel USB-oscilloscope. Cost less than 100 €, but it is really usable tool.
With the scope I was able to trace the pulse generator pulse (Which looks good) and monitor the state in different lines (=wires) like ICU power and switches (Side stand, neutral, glutch) and those lines going to the CDI box...

I also got the spark but not the way I wanted: When pushing a testing pin to the HISS-antenna socket RxDT -pin with my thumb there was a continous spark and the spark was going with the pace of my heart rate, I guess. Quite a good amplifier...But this made me think are the US and EURO ICU-connector the same. Do they really have a same pin-out ?

Today I continued to fit the front fairing to the bike. Pretty hard to fit it alone hence the strap.

Link:http://aijaa.com/nTTx80

So this far I've gone. Hopefully will get spark this summer. Otherwise I will have to transform this to EFI next winter...

Cheers

Mikko
MYle

Post by MYle »

Jeeesus.

How do I get the pics showing in the posts?
bazzashadow

Post by bazzashadow »

I`m sure a mod will be along in a mo to help you with pictures.
bikes looking good, but you must of got it cheap to go to all that bother to get it to run
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MYle wrote:Jeeesus.

How do I get the pics showing in the posts?
You're almost there :) I've helped you out with what you have already tried to post.

Instead of adding the URL from your photo's in between the tags, right click on your photo and click "Copy image address", then paste the "image address" in between the image tags.

What you've done so far is looking good :thumbup:
I can't really advise you on the ignition problem,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Interesting project mate, keep us updated with how it goes together.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
MYle

Post by MYle »

Hello

Updates:

1. Got pictures of US ICU connector from user in Superhawkforum.com. I'm very gareful and my sincerest thank's to him !

The difference between US & Euro ICU connector is in one wire, the yellow pulse generator wire was connected to different pin.
I changed this wire to the pin where (in Euro-version) exist the HISS-receiver pin TxCT and voila I got spark and was able to start the engine. What a lovely sound it was !!

2. I made fairing connector's to fit the CBR fairings.

First I made adjustable (Main) connector.

Took two pcs of 30x30 mm square tube:

Then made two link pieces from flat steel bar:

The original CBR's lamp/instrument panel/ fairing connector piece I cut and TIG-welded some 30x30 sqr tube on it:

So I got adjustable connector which I will TIG weld once the final fitting is found.

With this adjustable connector I was able to find reasonable good fitment for the CBR fairings. In the left side of the bike the hole for the generator cover does not perfectly look like "factory". However you cannot lower the fairings any lower to keep the steering movements correct.

Once I was satisfied with the looks and functioning I started to manufacture lower fairing connector:

I purchased from local auto-parts store some rubber mounts. The connector piece is made of some small diameter round pipe (From old VTR frame) and flat iron bar which I bend in the vice. TIG welded (Melt). Looks ugly but they are quite sturdy.

That's today's work. Sorry about crappy pictures. My CAT -phone has really bad camera.

Cheers!

Mikko
MYle

Post by MYle »

...And I also made a map on US & EURO ICU sockets.

I converted it to .pdf and you may find it here:

http://aijaa.com/hxjHnh

Now, the EURO socket pin-out is based on my bike and since it was a stolen bike I cannot be sure if the wiring has been altered or not.
So if anyone (Who has 2001 and/or younger HISS-version bike) is willing to verify with hir/her own bike it might be beneficial for someone...

Mine is ok now.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

That's going well, you're putting some effort in making a unique version!

As you say, there's not much value in putting together a bog-standard one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

MYle many thanks for posting that is some useful info there especially the difference between the US and UK ICM's. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
MYle

Post by MYle »

Hi Folks.

Some updates.

I finished the fairing brackets. It was a puzzle. Measure-cut-weld-measure-cut-weld...

The lower attachments I utilized the oil pan bolts. I made brackets on both sides and back.

Right side:

Left:

And back bracket:

I also decided to paint the bike myself...Never done but hey now I can only blame myself.
The paints were Lesonal water soluble metallic base coats (Black and red) and 2K clear coat.

For the painting I build a small painting booth in my carage from plastic sheets and put blower/heater which sucks air through filter.

The fairing parts I sanded with 240 & 400 grit sanding paper sprayed filler and primer.
Some parts needed plastic primer since I sanded through existing paint.

The base coat was easy...

Then I wanted to add some red...

...So school of hard knocs gave another lesson...
You really need to tape carefully and spray first light and after setting 5-10 minutes spray again.

Sanded and painted again...

Once I put the base coats on I thought I can paint, but then came the clear.
Now I can say that if you can put the clear coat without oringe peel or dripping then you can paint!

So I sprayed the most of the parts twice and sanded with 1000 grit wet paper in between.

I think I still need to sand and polish the clear on most of the parts.

But once I got all parts sprayed I needed to put the fairings on

and take the bike out in order to see the appearance:

Testing the location of the tank stickers:

Thats so far.

There is still lot's of work to do:

- Electrics (Lights, front blinkers)
- Polishing the painted parts
- Installing few stickers (And they need some clear coat on after that...)
- Installing the brackets with loctite on screws
- Making bracket for instrument panel
- ETC
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looks very neat job fella :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looking good buddy.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Looks very different, I hated doing it when I did it to my cbr400/600 as it was hard to see the finish line but looks like you have done a good job with it all .
Well done