It's that time again.....

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Shauned71

Re: It's that time again.....

Post by Shauned71 »

Watty wrote:Looking really very bloody nice mate :thumbup: . Just one thing! Get those bloody rusty sump bolts changed :lol:
Replace/clean sump bolts for Watty.. Check :P
Originally I wasn't bothered about the bolts seeing as they low down and will be hidden under the belly pan.. but... somewhere back in the post there's a photo I took of the underside which showed clean linkages etc and it was after taking that photo that the rusty bolts started to bug me... more so the rusty oil pressure switch (assuming that's what it is) so sorting said bolts, switch and nasty oil drain plug was on the agenda and became todays first task.

Other than that.. over the past couple days painted up the undertray and front mudguard.. got the belly pan in primer... did some work with the electrics... wired up rear indicators and rear lamp. Fitted fear end fairing including undertray.. Refitted oil cooler lines which I have spruced up as a temp measure for now. Side stand spruced up and fitted along with switch.. fitted the front mudguard and i'm sure theres a few other silly things I have done but can't now remember. Oh... and fitted a battery to try rear lights... that's the most alive the bike has been in nearly 2 years :lol:

Bit of a dilemma though... I'm really not at all happy with the paintwork. As it is the tank for what ever reason doesn't match the rest of the bike and now to make matters worse... had a few problems trying to match paint for me to sort out undertray, belly etc Main fairings are matt but the tank and parts of the rear fairing look more like satin... have gone with satin lacquer on the bits I have sprayed but now the mudguard clashes with fairings for shine.. as well as colour.. to the point, I really want to paint the whole bike just so to get colour and finish consistent but it was bad enough trying to paint 2 small panels in my shed... I won't be able to see hand in front of face if I did the larger panels Decisions decisions :think:
Attachments
DSC_1807a.jpg
DSC_1807a.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1810a.jpg
DSC_1810a.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1811a.jpg
DSC_1811a.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1812a.jpg
DSC_1812a.jpg (2.62 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1813a.jpg
DSC_1813a.jpg (2.52 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1815.JPG
DSC_1815.JPG (2.32 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1817.JPG
DSC_1817.JPG (3.16 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
DSC_1820a.jpg
DSC_1820a.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Chucked the front fairing and tank on loose to see what the colour looks like... you can see the different shades and finishes in the photo below. I had matched up on the tail section.. the finish is nowhere near as flat as the main fairing.. at least not when the sun hits it hence why I went for satin lacquer. May be able to live with the mudguard being out as it's not edge to edge but the belly pan... may nip to halfords and just grab a rattle can of matt lacquer for that.
Attachments
DSC_1824.JPG
DSC_1824.JPG (3.59 MiB) Viewed 5468 times
Watty

Post by Watty »

Shauned71 wrote:
Watty wrote:Looking really very bloody nice mate :thumbup: . Just one thing! Get those bloody rusty sump bolts changed :lol:
Replace/clean sump bolts for Watty.. Check :P
Originally I wasn't bothered about the bolts seeing as they low down and will be hidden under the belly pan.. but... somewhere back in the post there's a photo I took of the underside which showed clean linkages etc and it was after taking that photo that the rusty bolts started to bug me... more so the rusty oil pressure switch (assuming that's what it is) so sorting said bolts, switch and nasty oil drain plug was on the agenda and became todays first task.

Other than that.. over the past couple days painted up the undertray and front mudguard.. got the belly pan in primer... did some work with the electrics... wired up rear indicators and rear lamp. Fitted fear end fairing including undertray.. Refitted oil cooler lines which I have spruced up as a temp measure for now. Side stand spruced up and fitted along with switch.. fitted the front mudguard and i'm sure theres a few other silly things I have done but can't now remember. Oh... and fitted a battery to try rear lights... that's the most alive the bike has been in nearly 2 years :lol:

Bit of a dilemma though... I'm really not at all happy with the paintwork. As it is the tank for what ever reason doesn't match the rest of the bike and now to make matters worse... had a few problems trying to match paint for me to sort out undertray, belly etc Main fairings are matt but the tank and parts of the rear fairing look more like satin... have gone with satin lacquer on the bits I have sprayed but now the mudguard clashes with fairings for shine.. as well as colour.. to the point, I really want to paint the whole bike just so to get colour and finish consistent but it was bad enough trying to paint 2 small panels in my shed... I won't be able to see hand in front of face if I did the larger panels Decisions decisions :think:
:lol: that was the pic I was referring to mate! Didn't think you'd actually do it lol.
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Amazing progress Shaun :clap: it's looking great 8)

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Watty wrote: :lol: that was the pic I was referring to mate! Didn't think you'd actually do it lol.
The bolts and that dirty switch have been bugging me since I took the damn photo... although kinda pointless, had to be done :lol:
sirch345 wrote:Amazing progress Shaun :clap: it's looking great 8)

Chris.
Thanks Chris.. by the way... I think you were on to something when you queried about the clearance between my brace and high level exhausts...
When I first took the photo with the right side exhaust loosely fitted it wasn't properly lined up because of a bent rear set although there did seem to be plenty of room between link pipe and brace... what I didn't consider at that time was the effect of having my fat ass sat on the back :roll:
With the bike on a abba stand the links are close to the brace.... bike on the floor with me and my Son on it and they are touching.. that said, I haven't got the hangers connected up because they are with the powder coaters... it's gonna be touch and go but hopefully with a tweak here and there and with the hangers in place I may get lucky. I may be able to bend the hangers out a touch... will have to slightly bend the lower fixing point on the link too.. and probably will have to pull the link back off the header a touch, in effect putting a bit of space down the inside of the system. Fingers crossed and all that.. if it's doable without spending money then i'll find a way because I really want these high levels on.. I prefer larger cans when at low level so that would mean going back to my other scorpions but they have black sleeves and I don't fancy adding more black plus I like the way the colour of the titanium cans break the back end up.

As for progress... headers have been pampered and refitted. As mentioned, trial fitted the exhausts... sprayed the belly pan and fitted a new oil filter... fingers crossed will have wheels back tomorrow along with exhaust brackets... so tomorrow will be wheels fitted, brakes all sorted out.. fit discs, bleed etc. If I can get the exhaust fitting ok then belly pan can go on... if however I don't get my wheels etc back then i'll focus on getting the bike fired up instead.
Attachments
DSC_1829.JPG
DSC_1829.JPG (3.21 MiB) Viewed 5453 times
DSC_1830.JPG
DSC_1830.JPG (3.61 MiB) Viewed 5453 times
DSC_1831.JPG
DSC_1831.JPG (3.2 MiB) Viewed 5453 times
DSC_1833a.jpg
DSC_1833a.jpg (2.61 MiB) Viewed 5453 times
DSC_1834.JPG
DSC_1834.JPG (3.3 MiB) Viewed 5453 times
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Shauned71 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Amazing progress Shaun :clap: it's looking great 8)

Chris.
Thanks Chris.. by the way... I think you were on to something when you queried about the clearance between my brace and high level exhausts...
When I first took the photo with the right side exhaust loosely fitted it wasn't properly lined up because of a bent rear set although there did seem to be plenty of room between link pipe and brace... what I didn't consider at that time was the effect of having my fat ass sat on the back :roll:
With the bike on a abba stand the links are close to the brace.... bike on the floor with me and my Son on it and they are touching.. that said, I haven't got the hangers connected up because they are with the powder coaters... it's gonna be touch and go but hopefully with a tweak here and there and with the hangers in place I may get lucky. I may be able to bend the hangers out a touch... will have to slightly bend the lower fixing point on the link too.. and probably will have to pull the link back off the header a touch, in effect putting a bit of space down the inside of the system. Fingers crossed and all that.. if it's doable without spending money then i'll find a way because I really want these high levels on.. I prefer larger cans when at low level so that would mean going back to my other scorpions but they have black sleeves and I don't fancy adding more black plus I like the way the colour of the titanium cans break the back end up.
Some seem to forget a brace moves up with the swingarm when you're riding the bike, at least you have checked this out before you found out the hard way when riding it two up. Fingers crossed for you your adjustments will give enough clearance.
Excellent work, keep it up :thumbup:

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Plenty of tinkering this week although not much to show for it. Picked up wheels and exhaust hangers from powder coating on Wednesday. Had 2 days or more of trying to start the bike... what pita that was... long story short... shes running and I didn't actually work out what the problem was. Exhausts all fitted although I have no doubt that adjustments will be needed to clear the left side of the swing arm brace once I have the bike on the floor. My apex bars turned up today which was probably the best thing that happened all week as far as the bike goes.

Bars, switches throttle etc all fitted... Have positioned the risers to the outsides of the forks.. it was the easiest way to get clearance in all directions. Bars are quite wide at the mo though but will leave them be for now until I can ride the bike and get them where I want them... will cut off the excess and fit my bar ends then. I hand't though of ordering new brake lines to allow for the rise... have managed to work out a set to do the job for now... length on them are ok but because of the angles the ends come off the lines are slightly twisted.... something to sort out at a later date.

If all goes well then she will be stretch her legs over the weekend at some point although it will only be in and around the back lanes. Shes getting close and i'm getting excited :lol:
Attachments
DSC_1841.JPG
DSC_1841.JPG (3.51 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
DSC_1844.JPG
DSC_1844.JPG (3.49 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
DSC_1840.JPG
DSC_1840.JPG (3.45 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
DSC_1842.JPG
DSC_1842.JPG (3.42 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
DSC_1847.JPG
DSC_1847.JPG (3.49 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
DSC_1845a.jpg
DSC_1845a.jpg (2.69 MiB) Viewed 5394 times
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Unlucky with the clash of the colour, although nothing that can't be fixed. Others probably won't notice it so much, but you know it's not exactly as you wanted it. On a brighter note, at least you got her running :D

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Been very busy lately with work plus sorting my mates storm out in time for next weeks meet up in Birmingham.. didn't realise it's over a month since my last update. Long story short.. iv'e ended up kinda 2 steps forward and 4 steps back... Trimmed the inner fairing panels that the front indicators fit to so they don't foul the lower yoke.. finished putting all the front end on etc.. basically put majority of bike together and got her out for a few laps around the block... all good at this point and more than happy with the progress.. but.. I can't remember now how I came across it but after my little test ride I was doing something related to the front end and realised I have slight play in my front wheel.

Last post I said I picked my wheels and s/a up.. lets focus on the wheel... I have had the wheel machined so it can take a slightly larger bearing in order to accommodate the R1 front spindle (22mm) I picked the wheel up from the machine shop and took it straight to the powder coaters.. I knocked the bearings out in the back of my van and handed my wheel over for powder coating... what I hadn't noticed until a few days after I had my wheel back from coating was that they had blasted.. everything, everywhere.. including the bearing seats.. I have ended up with a poor fitting bearing.. one sides taps in very easily and when you flip wheel to do other side the first bearing falls back out. After doing my research I went with using bearing sealer.. refitted the bearings and bolted everything up.. took bike for its test run, all felt good but it was after this point I found the play in what I think is the bearing. I can't emphasise how slight this play is... next to nothing but it's there. At this point I still needed the top yoke to be welded up.. I'm using the R1 yoke but I have cut the part that holds the steering lock of the honda yoke and had it welded to the R1 yoke.. When dropped the yoke off to the fabricators for welding I dropped my complete front end too so they could take a look at my bearing issue. This was 3 weeks or so ago and I only got my bits back yesterday. Yoke is sorted but I still have play in front wheel... They have assured me that my bearing fitting was good and there is no play between bearing and wheel so that leaves me with play between spindle and bearing somewhere.. not sure where I go from here at the mo. I'll attach some random photos all of which are taken since my last post but currently the bike is stuck on my bike lift with no front end on it and no front fairings and belly pan. Was really hoping to get the bike to Birmingham but it's looking unlikely.. besides putting bike together I still need to finish it's service and take it for a MOT and that's all hampered by me having a bad back... have suffered with back trouble since a car crash near 10 years ago... comes and goes and most of the time i'm fine.. but, few days ago I was sat in my chair in bedroom, bent over to pick my socks up off the floor and wham.. back went.. have managed to fight through it over the past few days while finishing my mates bike which was finished and picked up yesterday but today i'm really rough with limited movement so will just have to see how things go day by fay for now.. may just have a weekend of rest and hopefully can crack on on Monday.
Attachments
DSC_1861a.jpg
DSC_1861a.jpg (2.5 MiB) Viewed 5317 times
DSC_1873a.jpg
DSC_1873a.jpg (539.98 KiB) Viewed 5317 times
DSC_1888.JPG
DSC_1888.JPG (3.42 MiB) Viewed 5317 times
DSC_1889a.jpg
DSC_1889a.jpg (2.41 MiB) Viewed 5317 times
DSC_1893.JPG
DSC_1893.JPG (3.15 MiB) Viewed 5317 times
DSC_1891a.jpg
DSC_1891a.jpg (2.12 MiB) Viewed 5317 times
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Looking good!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

One of the best looking Storms I have seen in a long time. How did you get the aftermatket undertray on without cutting up the OM plastic one? You know what you need for that tank.....a Black Baglux cover and some tank grips for your knees. It wont be so noticeable and bother you so much then. Apex clip ons are the dogs dangles and you didn't need to trim the fairing. :thumbup:

I like it...you've done a really good job there :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope you back gets better soon. I hate back spasm's. Many years ago I twisted my pelvis from doing a somersault on a trampoline when the trampoline did not rebound when I landed. Every now and again since I get a twinge in my lower back if I'm not careful. Don't sneeze too hard :eek2
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I hope your back gets better too.

You have done a brilliant job there Shaun :clap: 8)

As for your mysterious play in the front wheel. A bit of a b*mmer about the power coaters damaging the bearing housing on your front wheel, I can imagine how you felt.
I've used "stud 'n bearing" fit in the past for a worn crankshaft main bearing housing on a 650 Triumph twin engine. It worked very well in doing it's job of holding the bearing tight, and that was on the side the main drive was taken off. So if it can stand the thumping of 650 twin, I would have thought it will hold your wheel bearing in place no problem.

Only an idea seeing as you struggling to find out what is causing this slight play, although this may not work if it's really miniscule. How about removing the front wheel and replacing the spindle with a threaded bar while it's off the bike. Depending on the diameter of the threaded bar you may need some suitably sized washers as well as nuts. Tighten the nuts up against the bearings with the washers against the bearings if needed. Now grab hold of the extending threaded bar and see if you can still detect the play, that should help in pointing you in the right direction,

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Looking really really nice! Stealth look :D It's the little perfectionist/OCD touches that I love, bit like how I roll :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Thank you very much for your comments :D
VTRDark wrote:How did you get the aftermatket undertray on without cutting up the OM plastic one?
All I did is trim around the end of the oem tray... I have seen a few after market trays fitted and the original tray has been cut right down to the battery box... besides making a bit more room under the seat I don't see the reason for doing this because it's more work to do plus imo looks awful, ok you can only see under there when the seat is off but still... I don't like it. . My way.. I just trim the sides down where the indicators fit and trimmed about a inch off the rear.. on the oem trays there are 2 plastic tabs that stick up which on the older model storm hold the control boxes in place... I just trim upto but leaving in place the rear most tab and then fit the aftermarket tray over the top. Also, I think my way is far more secure because you are either bolting through the 3 panels (fairing, aftermarket tray and oem tray) or, as I now do.. I fit a threaded spire clip to the oem tray and bolt through the aftermarket tray... leaving the oem tray in place makes everything far more secure.

Ohhh and yes, the Apex bars are pretty cool although they need to be for the money but being serious they are some serious kit.. so many ways to adjust them plus for the sake of buying or making shims can be used on anything up to the original 50mm which these ones are. Each for own and all that but there was no way I was going to be cutting my fairings... I know some will think I'm being trivial but it's a bit like chopping the undertray up.. another thing I really don't like. I just need to test the bike out so I can decide on the width I want to run the bars at then I can trim off the excess.
VTRDark wrote: Don't sneeze too hard :eek2
:lol: Everytime I feel a sneeze coming on it's a rush of paranoia and brace for impact... One time in the past I was walking into my bathroom just to wash my hands... just as I got to the sink I coughed.. next thing i'm hanging onto the sink basically on my knees in agony.

Chris...

I have used a bearing sealer to try and fix my problem and I should be saying.. but with no success hence why my front end were back up in the fabricators.. But, I have had a quick look today (bike is back together but I will come to that in a mo) and I can't find any play.. fabricator guy took the wheel out and had a good look... he said he found the play he also said it was so slight that if it was him (he's also a biker) that he wouldn't worry about it.. he's put it back together and all I have done is bolt the front end back on the bike... No idea what is different, will check again tomorrow but at the mo there's no play there and if I still don't find any play tomorrow.. well happy will be a understatement :lol:

So... bike is back together :P Pain killers kicked in properly late yesterday afternoon... I couldn't contain myself so made a start.. It started with me just tinkering with my frankenstein top yoke.. R1 and Storm yokes welded together.. smoothed out the welds, bit of satin black around the edges and then covered the top in carbon wrap.. but as I got into my stride and as I felt pretty good by then I cracked on... Bike was basically ready for MOT last night.. just got to fit new number plate.

Bit more tinkering today.. fitted a spare aftermarket alarm I had on the shelf.. finished service and did a spot of cleaning.. Will book MOT tomorrow hopefully for Wednesday because that's my insurance renewal date. After that shes basically done besides a few bits that I will admit to cutting corners on and that I will rectify over the coming months... I have painted and cleaned all bolts up within reason on the bike.. I have rattle canned the engine cases and she is still on the standard shock.. I did this simply to cut costs for now... I was having so many bits worked on, powder coated or I was buying bits.. the corner cutting was my way of making the bike nice but keeping the costs in check for now. I have all bolts as spares and will be nickle plating a them all as soon as I get myself set up to be able to do them... I have spare engine cases which will be stove enamelled and I have a Ohlins rear shock with all the trimmings waiting for a rebuild.. after that theres just a few little things.. If you look just under the front of the seat I have put some small carbon panels in place... look ok but they just a botch job for now.. will buy a sheet of carbon and redo them properly along with a carbon top for the yokes.. also want to make a small carbon hugger which will just sit on top of the brace and I will in time make up a small chain guard to sit at the rear of the swingarm.
Attachments
DSC_1997.JPG
DSC_1997.JPG (3.48 MiB) Viewed 5281 times
DSC_1996.JPG
DSC_1996.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 5281 times
DSC_1989.JPG
DSC_1989.JPG (3.52 MiB) Viewed 5281 times
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Hello one and all :wave:

I am not usually one for re-starting old threads but seeing as I never really finish this one in the first place I thought i'd make allowances.

Ill, depression, ups and downs, money.. or lack of.. generally pissed off... bla bla bla bla bla... an odd past 18 months with some really great highs but too many lows screwing things up all the time... anyways.. now, feel pretty damn good... got my mojo back and starting to find my rhythm and i'm bugged to hell about getting back on my bikes having not ridden in over a year. Have worked my ass off the past couple weeks.. all bike related. After writing her off and then leaving stuck half stripped in the corner of the garden for over 4 years I have just rebuilt the first storm I owned and it will soon be off to a new owner (friend of mine who had to part with his own storm due to debts) Have just finished cleaning up my red storm which is what i'm gonna call my daily hack and she's off for and will pass her MOT tomorrow CAN'T BLOODY WAIT!!!!!!!! I have plans to build a streetfighter... or what i'm gonna call my stormfighter, unless someone has already used that in which case I will think of something different..Have a 03 plate I bought a few years ago as a base.. have a lowish miles engine to fit.. brace swing arm.. may go sssa if I feel like the work... I will be robbing the R1 front end and everything related to it from my matt black storm (or matty as I like to call him) that I put together in this thread.. choice of tails.. either 2001 R6, 2002 blade or I have a 1998 ish blade tail... undecided. Have belly, bars, risers etc ready for it and the rest I will make up as I go but before I get stuck into that I want to finish old Matty off..

So... built the black one and made it to the Anniversary meet up 2 years or so ago 300 ish miles round trip... didn't miss a beat but wasn't happy with the bike and for one reason or another the bike hasn't turned a wheel since besides rolling in and out of shed. Time to finish what I started.. better yet time to build the bike I was supposed to build the first time. Won't be doing anything too drastic but the R1 front end will be coming off and a CBR 954 will be going in it's place.. have a nice carbon hugger to fit, will get a carbon front mudguard.. full service.. well change oil maybe lol get the damn thing running right.. will be having all the engine cases powder coated some sort of dark gun metally type of colour and generally clean it back up :D

Last edited by Shauned71 on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.