CBR1000 Firestorm

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
VTR Phoenix

Re: CBR1000 Firestorm

Post by VTR Phoenix »

I also think oval or triangular cans would suit better. With the tail being angular/sharp the cans you have are too round to flow. IMO.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:The cans look great where they are but think they could do with moving back so the end cap overhangs the tail, plus will reduce chance of melting tailpiece when they get hot, don't forget about heatshield either
Cheers again chaps. I have a plan for heat transfer to the tailpiece, basically a heat shield off an R1 will be fitted. I will post up a picture. I have shortened the cans and although I agree the cans normally and probably will be best suited hanging out the back near the end of the tailpiece I want to shorten them up and try to emulate the Panigale set up. I will as you suggest extend the link pipe to make the silencers meet the back end if it doesn't look any good :thumbup:
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

MacV2 wrote:Well Mr Honda didn't spend loads of Yen sorting it out to run right for no reason...So don't expect it to run bob on without any problems.

Same with cutting the cans down..They are that length for a reason...Gasses, back presures, scavenging ect.

Good luck with it, factor in some dyno time...

Oh & for once I have to agree with Marty...The tail looks OK...Me no likey the front, just dont look right...Well it does on a Fireblade but I don't like how they look anyway... :crazy:

I appreciate your thoughts. I do expect some issues especially at idle but I'm hoping to play around with the jetting to aid this problem. I have a bit of experience with two strokes and tuning and exhaust configuration is critical to the running but four strokes in my view not so much.

I accept your view on the front end, no worries :thumbup: I think it's really an improvement but opinion is what it's all about and I respect all of them.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

podman wrote:Great work mate, look forward to seeing it all completed.
Cheers, I am looking to have the thing all mocked up, checked and I'll make sure I'm happy with it, then I'll tear it down hopefully in the next week.
I'm going to have the frame and swing arm powder coated in Satin black, Gold wheels with gloss black brake calipers to match the paint scheme of the Fireblade. I am not intending to leave the tank red that will be painted in white as per the Fireblade along with the decals to suit.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You have done an extremely good job with this bike. Looks great and admire your skills. This is the bodywork and style the VTR should have had to begin with, especially the front end. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You are showing great skills here, and you are making way more progress than most of the others on here who start a build project (Flatty, Duffers, GLSR to name a few :D ) and I think the bike will look impressive when you finish it......... keep posting photos.

regarding the header pipe length, I think that rear pipe is going to be far too short and although you might be able to get it to carburate OK with some dyno work, you will be down on power and torque compared to std.
AMcQ
Steve6088

Post by Steve6088 »

This looks amazing. Impressive stuff!
vtwin goody

Post by vtwin goody »

only just seen this,what a great job so far im loving it :thumbup: cant wait to see it finished, is it going to be a keeper or selling it on :?:
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

vtwin goody wrote:only just seen this,what a great job so far im loving it :thumbup: cant wait to see it finished, is it going to be a keeper or selling it on :?:
Cheers. I always say its a keeper but never do but who knows! I now have twelve days off so hope to rattle through some jobs, I will post loads of pictures soon :D
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

Hi, shortened up the exhausts and these pictures show the final position. Started making the exhaust brackets and it will be boxed up tomorrow exhaust wise. I will be making a battery box this weekend.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works as the new can positions look great 8) but looking at this photo the clearance when the swingarm/shock is compressed makes me think the tyre could be coming into contact with the cans. Seeing as you've done this sort of work before, you've probably already checked this for clearance, but thought it worth mentioning in case this has slipped your mind. It's all to easy to forget something like that when the bike is sat stationary and there's plenty of clearance :wink:

Keep up the good work, you're certainly getting on with it :thumbup:

Chris.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

sirch345 wrote:Image

Not wishing to throw a spanner in the works as the new can positions look great 8) but looking at this photo the clearance when the swingarm/shock is compressed makes me think the tyre could be coming into contact with the cans. Seeing as you've done this sort of work before, you've probably already checked this for clearance, but thought it worth mentioning in case this has slipped your mind. It's all to easy to forget something like that when the bike is sat stationary and there's plenty of clearance :wink:

Keep up the good work, you're certainly getting on with it :thumbup:

Chris.

Hi Chris,

I have taken measurements from a Ducati 748 in my local bike shop and have mounted mine to these measurements but slightly tighter. I will be running a Nitron shock set reasonably hard and a jack up kit and i wont be taking a passenger (mainly because I've hacked the subframe about) so I'm confident it'll be fine. I won't be having any link pipes made until I've proved it though :thumbup: I want to keep the pipes as tight as possible but could alter them easily enough if I'm wrong. I do rattle through my projects because I can't keep out the garage! I generally do two chunky projects a year, after this build I'm hoping to start my youngest lads bike, we are putting a 125 four stroke motor in his RS50.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

moto1818 wrote:
Hi Chris,

I have taken measurements from a Ducati 748 in my local bike shop and have mounted mine to these measurements but slightly tighter. I will be running a Nitron shock set reasonably hard and a jack up kit and i wont be taking a passenger (mainly because I've hacked the subframe about) so I'm confident it'll be fine. I won't be having any link pipes made until I've proved it though :thumbup: I want to keep the pipes as tight as possible but could alter them easily enough if I'm wrong. I do rattle through my projects because I can't keep out the garage! I generally do two chunky projects a year, after this build I'm hoping to start my youngest lads bike, we are putting a 125 four stroke motor in his RS50.
Hi Moto,
That's good news, it sounds like you're on it okay. Not taking a pillion passenger will certainly help as in the shock/swingarm will not be compressed so much.
When I have seen others mounting cans in a similar position to how you have yours, theirs seemed to be wider apart giving space in between the cans for the rear tyre.

The main thing is you're not going to be getting link pipes made up until you know this position works, and like you say, you can always make adjustments if needed.

That RS50 should go well once you've modified it :D

Good luck with the can's :thumbup:

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Looking very good indeed.
The two link pipes running close to the shock may overheat it.
You might want to slide an aluminium heatsheild in around the shock to deflect some of the hear.
A nice touch would be a ducted cooling duct from the tail downwards, or from the rear of the catchtank upwards.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
moto1818

Post by moto1818 »

tony.mon wrote:Looking very good indeed.
The two link pipes running close to the shock may overheat it.
You might want to slide an aluminium heatsheild in around the shock to deflect some of the hear.
A nice touch would be a ducted cooling duct from the tail downwards, or from the rear of the catchtank upwards.
Cheers. I never thought of the cooling ducting but I did think of the heat issue with the shock I will give that some thought thanks. I have made the exhaust mounting brackets and im pleased because you barely see them. I have also started the battery box. I am looking to make the rear of the bike as clean as possible so have set the battery inclined in the new box as to minimise the side profile. I will update pictures when I can but I'm having a right game with photo bucket because every time I try and do anything it directs me to a bullshit win site and cancels my session on photo bucket. I know pictures are important and I'll post up soon as I can. I'm getting to the finer details now and as most people who do custom mods its these that take the time and make or break the build. I always keep pushing my projects forward even if I'm only in the garage for half hour, this way it can never get stale.

I am not sure what to do as regards the dash. I was thinking KOSO but I would ideally like to incorporate a newer Honda dash but I think that may be beyond my electrical skills. If anyone has any experience on either mentioned I'd be grateful for some advice. :thumbup: