CF tank and upper airbox.

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
RedStormJ

CF tank and upper airbox.

Post by RedStormJ »

Hey guys I really need all your opinions and knowlage. I got a top half molded of my tank. Its all carbon 3 sheets. She's super light. My thing is I need a bottom. I am not sure what to do. I would like to delete my airbox just like ditchfield did. I used all vinylester. Any ideas?. I am thinking about dumping formeldahide in the cavity and shaping it. Possibly flat with a small reserve hump. I also will put a fuel gauge in. But my bigggg question is the airbox lid idea. Keep it stock/ tunnel ram/ flat tank bottom?
Wicky

Re: CF tank and upper airbox.

Post by Wicky »

While it sounds like you'll achieve lighter weight with alt materials - keep in mind that the VTR is hyper sensitve to changes in the airbox/ air filter dept. IIRC TonyM experimented with tank base integrated airbox lids and different airfilters (have a search) with disappointing results before eventually settling with an SP2!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
macdee

Post by macdee »

if it were me i would make a c/f tank with larger openings in the side for the ram air ducting like the mori bikes ,(you could al so do the ducts )
i think more people would be interested in it as you don,t have to mess with the air box
told you not to but oh no you knew better
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Wicky wrote:While it sounds like you'll achieve lighter weight with alt materials - keep in mind that the VTR is hyper sensitve to changes in the airbox/ air filter dept. IIRC TonyM experimented with tank base integrated airbox lids and different airfilters (have a search) with disappointing results before eventually settling with an SP2!
I did.
Search for "airbox modding"
Loads of time wasted chasing improvements but doing it properly with before and after dyno runs to prove what change has been made and what the effects are.

It's fairly easy to get gains high in the rev range, useful for Racing, but harder to get gains lower down, because, I believe, the carb size is so big that changes to airflow upset the system every time you try to alter anything.
That's why some people had just slapped on a k and n filter and reported worse running.
A little jetting change and it's fine, same with cans or a system.

But getting gains throughout the rev range is the trick, and that's harder to do.
I strongly suggest that you proceed one step at a time; it's easy to make lots of changes at once and convince yourself it's better- often due to the change in intake sound- but on measuring it, it's worse.

The airflow into the airbox is key, I think.
Look at the intake snorkel cross sectional area and compare to the filter area.......but just removing it doesn't work, neither does making the intake bigger.

One thing I never got round to trying properly was using the triangular ducts near the headlight trunked to the front of the airbox.
The fairing plastic inner wings nearly work, but as std just aim cool air at the rads. You can cool the rads other ways.

Try utilising those and running air in through the frame to get cooler air at higher pressure into the airbox.
But the problem then is airflow changes as speed increases.....

Have fun, I spent a couple of years playing this game!

How are you going to seal the inner of the c.f. tank to prevent degradation due to fuel contaminants?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.