Firestorm dragbike

A place for you to list your ongoing bike projects
Dragbikedave

Firestorm dragbike

Post by Dragbikedave »

G'day everyone!

As the subject line suggests I've decided on building a vtr drag bike. I banged on about this in the welcome page but thought I'd start fresh here.
Firestorm would be my ideal bike as I have an 05 SP2 but could never bring myself to put that down the strip but I love the Honda v twins.
I haven't bought a bike yet but will in the next couple weeks, I'm looking at getting a repairable write off at auction. I'll post pics once I have one and then the journey begins...
Any advice anyone can offer in regards to weak points in the motor or gearbox etc would be greatly appreciated. I've read here about the near impossible to rectify grabby clutch on launches, engine will only handle about 150bhp without a billet crank (if you can get one) but I'm struggling to find more info for this type of project.
I've seen on the interweb a guy from Hawaii who built one and it looked mean but he doesn't give too much away in regards to info like who supplies the go fast bits, swing arm and such.

Thanks in advance and apologies if this topic has already been covered and I just didn't see it.

David
David

My bike identifies as a steam train.
Wicky

Re: Firestorm dragbike

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dragbikedave

Post by Dragbikedave »

Thanks Wicky, how I didn't find these I'll never know but appreciate the heads up.

David
David

Dragbikedave

Post by Dragbikedave »

So I'm looking at a track bike for sale.
Cbr600rr front end including shocks, wheel, brakes etc very well put together bike. Has been fitted with Sp2 fairing which I dig.

Any thoughts?
David

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It'll be run in for sure ;-)

You mentioned it was a '07 in another thread but the last one was made in '05 unless it was later registered (check the VIn plate). Nevertheless it's how the engine is running that's the core of project - and how much they want...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dragbikedave

Post by Dragbikedave »

That's the thing, it only has under 3k on the clock 8O. The fella that built it, built 3 they all came from repairable write off's if I'm not mistaken. The other two were registered but the law changed here in Oz and they missed the cut off date to register the last one, hence it's now a track bike.
In regards to build, your right they stopped building them in 05 but in Oz it's when they were first registered and get there oz build plate, so an 05 becomes an 07 and so on. I've seen a few 06's and 7's for sale here but nothing like this.
The asking price is fair for the mods but more will need to be done to drag it. Shifter etc.
About 2800 GBP if my maths is correct.
I'd rather build a bike from a great platform, this sounds like a great platform.
David