Wash Clean and Polish

General Bike chat
VTRDark

Wash Clean and Polish

Post by VTRDark »

I finally got around to giving my bike a good clean and polish.

I first gave the bike a good wash with G3 Bodywork Detox which I am impressed with. Far superior to washing up liquid which is damaging to paintwork.
I just used a sponge to wipe it all down with and then rinsed with water. It was then dried off with a Microfibre drying towel. The days of using a chamois leather are long gone.

I then went on to apply some AutoSmart wax polish with a foam applicator Image
left to dry and buffed off with another Microfibre towel. The bike looked better but was not as shiny as I would have liked it. I also am not that impressed with the application as I felt it is quite runny and a bit milky. It also does not have a nice perfumed smell too it. Over all it is like using a standard over the counter polish, nothing special.

As the last coating was not to my liking and not as shiny as it could be I decided to use some Bilt Hamber Carnauba based Hydra wax over the top which I have used before.
http://www.bilthamber.com/hydra-wax

This is a wonderful product very quick and easy to apply and does not take much effort. It also has a very nice smell (fruit smoothie) to it which makes the whole polishing experience more pleasant. The polish is a clear liquid which I used another foam applicator to apply with. Leave to dry for about 5-10 mins until it goes cloudy and then buffed up with another Microfibre towel. I even went over my Titanium cans with it and some other parts of the bike. This has left the bike with a much more shiny glossy appearance.

For the final stage I used a Liquid Shield Nano Coating. Image
This is a small squirt bottle, so just gave the bodywork a quick squirt over and rubbed it in with a clean foam applicator, left to dry and buffed up with a Microfibre Towel. This is very easy to apply and also has a rather nice smell to it, a bit like using furniture polish. I made a special point of also coating my windshield, mirrors, lights and clocks as these are the areas I want the rain to run off rather than settle on the surface. I made a special point of not coating my number plate as a bit a of dirt and grime on the plate is not a bad thing. :biggrin

All in all my bike is looking very nice all thing's considered. It's just a shame my paintwork is not in the best of conditions. I never managed to do as good a job on the wheels as I had hoped. I shall have to remove them to do that properly, so they have been left for another day and just had a quick wipe over.

Some pics of my bike. I shall add some more later once it starts raining to show the beading of the water particles running off the bike.

Sorry wicky I should have removed the bin :roll:

I would just like to say thank you to Chric for all his help and advice. You have given me some great insight and inspiration. Giving my bike a clean and polish now puts a smile on my face. Maybe not as much as riding it, but if cleaning makes me smile, that can't be a bad thing. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
954luca

Re: Wash Clean and Polish

Post by 954luca »

Looks good, I've always used autoglym products on my cars and bikes.
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

What is this wash, clean and polish I hear you talk about?

Someone said to me the other day, I need to clean my bike, I told them I dont clean it because I ride it.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I've always used autoglym products
I used to as well, but have been experimenting. To be on honest in the past I have not really fussed at all about cleaning my bikes and they used to get a quick wash with fairy and wax over it it was lucky with some autoglym.

But next year I'm either going to re-spray the storm myself or have it re-sprayed so it will look like new. So I don't want to be damaging the paintwork washing with dirty water and stuff. I'm also coming to the end of re-spraying my Fazer bodywork so I want to protect that properly and look after it.

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

looking very good carlos..... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

are ou on commission for them products :lol:

it looks good carl :thumbup:

i use mur myself
mr.john.coates

Post by mr.john.coates »

That is so shiny it's dangerous :D
NT650V in Red
VTR1000R in Blue
Pushbike in Yellow
Wife in Bed
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

mr.john.coates wrote:That is so shiny it's dangerous :D
like the shine on your head :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
what polish do you use :?:
Ckennedy

Post by Ckennedy »

So out of you lot...... Who wants to wash my bike? :lol:
chric

Post by chric »

Yes hydra is ace stuff lasts thousands of miles :D
Cleanser polish is also exellent.
http://www.bilthamber.com/wax-and-polishes/micro-fine
My mate raves about that above from BH aswell

What I would do now is just every few mounths top up with hydra wax and it will keep its beading and sheeting propertys.Let me know how you get on with the liquid sheild.
Or if you want to go a stage further get on of these
I think the problem with the polish is it's settled too much or a dodgey patch :(
Got a few things I want you to try aswell out of these
To see if there a placebo or actually work :?:
Got given this to test also which I have done and want to see your thoughts
http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog ... nator.html
Ill never be a sell out storm forever
hugeduck

Post by hugeduck »

i use that g3 stuff and its gooooood, but get a hand mitten thing so it picks up the dirt instead of pushing which a sponge will do and give swirl effects on the paint :thumbup:
chric

Post by chric »

Depends how vain you are but I use one of these on my bike
http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom ... db_pid=433
big yes but holds about 500ml of suds in it and only do paint work with it the bottom half wheels a cheaper carpro spounge gets used on it
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Isn't that more for trim like the plastic panels you get on some cars, door runners or non painted bumpers. Seems strange calling it trim. :confused

I have already been looking at rotory polishers. There are loads of shallow scratch marks in the paint surface as well as some bad spraying, swirls and previous colour showing through in places. I don't know if it's worth putting in the effort of claying it and using scratch remover etc. Next year I am having a re-spray anyway.

That cleanser polish you linked to is micro fine not the cleanser polish. It looks like they both have two different uses. Would they take all previous layers of wax off? The same with the G3 detox, would that take the previous coating off or would it just be good for washing and for building up the layers of Hydra Wax. I have also still got the Finis Canubra I have yet to try. I'm saving that for my first coating on the Fazer panels. I have also been looking into ceramic coatings which sound interesting.

Wheels will be the next thing. I'm gonna have to take them off to do them properly. Is Hydra wax and liquid shield OK for them? Also can you recommend a tyre dressing. It might even inspire me to go and get some new tyres, I keeping putting it off. Gonna by myself a dedicated washing bucket with scratch shield next.

It's still not rained here yet. It's typical, when I usually clean the bike it rains. And today when I want it to rain it hasn't :lol:

chric

Post by chric »

cybercarl wrote:
Isn't that more for trim like the plastic panels you get on some cars, door runners or non painted bumpers. Seems strange calling it trim. :confused

I have already been looking at rotory polishers. There are loads of shallow scratch marks in the paint surface as well as some bad spraying, swirls and previous colour showing through in places. I don't know if it's worth putting in the effort of claying it and using scratch remover etc. Next year I am having a re-spray anyway.

That cleanser polish you linked to is micro fine not the cleanser polish. It looks like they both have two different uses. Would they take all previous layers of wax off? The same with the G3 detox, would that take the previous coating off or would it just be good for washing and for building up the layers of Hydra Wax. I have also still got the Finis Canubra I have yet to try. I'm saving that for my first coating on the Fazer panels. I have also been looking into ceramic coatings which sound interesting.

Wheels will be the next thing. I'm gonna have to take them off to do them properly. Is Hydra wax and liquid shield OK for them? Also can you recommend a tyre dressing. It might even inspire me to go and get some new tyres, I keeping putting it off. Gonna by myself a dedicated washing bucket with scratch shield next.

It's still not rained here yet. It's typical, when I usually clean the bike it rains. And today when I want it to rain it hasn't :lol:

Never dress your tyres on bike carl you will kill your self :eek2 :thumbdown: .
If it's for car yeah supagard trim and tyre :thumbup: beads aswell :oops:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Never dress your tyres on bike carl you will kill your self
Thanks mate, I did wonder about that. :eek2 so not even a mini skirt. :lol: