A day at wheelie school!!

General Bike chat
geodude

A day at wheelie school!!

Post by geodude »

We arrived at Blandford Camp and signed it at the gate. I had already been to the camp so was on the system. We showed our ID. Without it we wouldn’t have got in. My friend, who was a spectator, had to register. This included having your photo taken for the pass.

We rode through the camp and out onto an old runway. Neil, the instructor got out the bikes, I filled out and signed the obligatory disclaimer that basically said “If you fook up, tough” and we were almost ready to go.

Whilst I was getting into the supplied leathers, Neil went off and showed us how it was done. The guy can wheelie but then you would expect that running a wheelie school. I have some vids of him doing all sorts of stuff. I'll get it added once they are are edited and on youtube.

There was briefing explaining about clutch wheelies and how they differ from power wheelies. He explained the technique needed to pop up the wheel of the stock Suzuki 600 bandits he uses for the training.

Now, lifting the front wheel on a Firestorm is a doddle. You don’t need that much skill to do it. It’s a bit different on the bandit as its all about technique. I mentioned I had already managed to lift the wheel on the Firestorm to Neil, and he quite rightly said, forget how you do that. We need to start from the beginning to build the foundations needed for successful wheeling.

Neil talked me through the technique which started with just revving the bike. I was sceptical at first but he knows what he is talking about so I carried on. The next bit involved riding a long and using the back brake. Up and down the runway, just using the back brake. “Hmm” I thought, but I carried on. He then went on to taking a bit more about what to do with the clutch. So in essence there were three things to remember.

After several runs up and down the runway, he said “Now it’s time to wheelie”. I couldn’t believe how nervous I was. It wasn’t through fear but excitement.

Anyways I set off down the runway, put all three things together and BOOM!! Up came the front wheel.

I was so thrilled it was unbelievable. It wasn’t because I got the front wheel up, as I have done this many times before. What thrilled me the most was how controlled it felt? The wheelies I have done before have all felt quite erratic.

So the rest of the day was me pissing about on the bandit trying to learn to feather throttle.

The bikes have an anti-loop switch which is there to prevent you from flipping the bike. I kept hitting it as I was taking the bike up high. It was controlled though but just a bit too high. The skill was trying to feather the throttle at the point before you get to the anti-loop switch.

Coming off the torquey V twin onto a revvy IL4 took a lot of getting used to. The difference from the morning to the afternoon was unbelievable. As he says on his site, you may not leave being able to do mile long wheelies, but you do go away with the tools required to develop into them.

I am now looking to get either another cheap battered storm or a bandit 600 to practice on (on private land of course)

Was it good fun? OMG Yes!!! Would I do it again? Hell yeah. I will be doing it again without a doubt. Just need to find some others to come along.

Note: This was a completely exhausting day. The combination of aggressive clutch use, throttle control, gripping the bike with your knees, holding on tight really takes it out of you. I have a huge blister on my hand (office worker :P) and my shoulders ache. But I don’t regret doing it one bit.

http://www.southcoastwheelies.co.uk/
Last edited by geodude on Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
“He who rides fastest, rides alone!"
YouTube Website Facebook Bike accessories
benny hedges

Re: A day at wheelie school!!

Post by benny hedges »

geodude wrote: I was sceptical at first but he knows what he is talking about so I carried on. The next bit involved riding a long and using the back brake. Up and down the runway, just using the back brake. “Hmm” I thought, but I carried on.
i studied aikido for a few years, taught by an 80 odd year old polish guy called mario - ace he was, like henry the mild mannered janitor, but you couldn't get near him.
one day, he had us parading around holding brush handles and swapping them left to right saying ish, nee, ish, nee, ish, nee etc :confused
i totally didn't get it, and after 2hrs of this, i turned to my cousin frank (i talked to frank lol !!) and said i cba with this sh1t, paying £3 to walk round with a fkin brush??? :confused

so then mario, who had a wierd sort of presence about him, came shuffling over and said 'sirty four years walking up and down mat with stick, still learnink' :confused
he heard me from the other side of the room lol 8O

so same thing, must be human nature to want to bypass all the basic things and just get straight into the good stuff...
you ended up doing contrlooed wheelies instead of like me, coming out of a bend too fast with the wheel up & shittin meself, or poxy 10" 1st gear wheelies to the limiter than banging it down too hard & wrecking the fork seals :whatever

looks like you had a great time & some good pics too - well done :thumbup:
i wouldn't mind doing that meself if there's somewhere a bit more local...
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
geodude

Post by geodude »

Yeah benny it was just like that. :)

Anyways, I was thinking, for Operation Storm III (next summer) y'all could come down this way (Hampshire, Dorset etc.). We could incorporate wheelie school. It would probably need to be a Friday to Monday or Thursday to Sunday.

What do you think? Would you be up for it?
“Only by constantly developing your insight and knowledge can you fulfil your responsibility to ride safely and effectively”
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

yeh but it would probably be cheaper to fly there and buy a new bike when i land!
You do not have to say anything. But it may harm your defence if you do not mention when posting something which you later rely on in quote. Anything you do say may be ripped to sh*t.
geodude

Post by geodude »

benny hedges wrote:yeh but it would probably be cheaper to fly there and buy a new bike when i land!
Lol. True
geodude

Post by geodude »

[youtube][/youtube]
Anotherbikerbabe

Post by Anotherbikerbabe »

Go Geo....Didn't you do 'wheelie' well lol...Glad you enjoyed it, that's the main thing.. :D
Silly boys...Women do have balls....We just wear them higher up!
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

I loved my Bandit for wheelies!

In the year I owned it I went through 4 clutches, 2 sets of front wheel bearings and 12 Diablo Corsa rears! lol

For a bike with only 78hp it was amazing fun!

benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

:biggrin nice wheelies! :beer:
geodude

Post by geodude »

Very nice !!

When I got the bike that high, the kill switch kept kicking in :(
nora2004

Post by nora2004 »

If it helps any, after only a few weeks on the Storm I find it much easier and better to wheelie, with it been alot more grunty, when you clutch it up your much further down the rev range, it makes soooooo much easier to control when its up, so far ive clutched up in 2nd and had it through to 4th, the thing is just sooo stable! lol

If your still abit weary, if your clutch is healthy enough, clutch it up in 3rd to begin with, again its just soooo much more managable!
benny hedges

Post by benny hedges »

dont like wheelying mine tbh, always end up going too fast! :|
& mine doesnt feel stable, comes over to the left which i blame on the yokes....
might be a bit better whn ive got some new ones on, but im concentrating more on fast take-offs with both wheels on the ground
me 750 just will not wheelie at all, big fat heavy bastid it is!
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Nora said
In the year I owned it I went through 4 clutches, 2 sets of front wheel bearings and 12 Diablo Corsa rears! lol
Ha! I wonder why? :wink:
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Maybe you and Geodude can give us a demonstration at the next meet :thumbup:

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
geodude

Post by geodude »

lol I'll need a bike to do it on!! You offering?
BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

never got mine up. :wink:

Will add Wheelie School to the list of 'things to do before .......'