vtr diet

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

vtr diet

Post by haynesjones66 »

had a little thrash today on a cbr600rr. so light and agile and easy to throw around and i understand why so many riders buy them. but it's not a storm. so what can be changed on a storm to make it lighter? what have you guys done to save a few kilos here and there? i could hustle mine through the twisties reasonably well but it tired me out quickly as it seems quite a long bike.
Wicky

Re: vtr diet

Post by Wicky »

Eat less pies (cheaper than titanium, carbon fibre and lithium battery) lighter flywheel and invest in improving the stock suspension :-)

"Rogered Forks"

Which Rear Shock ????

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

my mrs has me on a diet already as ive flagged up as pre-diabetic whatever that means. extremities always cold, cuts taking ages to heal etc. no more pasties for me :(
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Titanium full system helps, lightweight carbon cans if that's a bit salty.
Six spoke wheels save a bit, lithium battery, carbon Clip-ons, then change every bolt you can see for titanium.
You still won't get it to a Cbr600 weight, but you can get closer.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

thanks. the wheels seem very heavy. i read somewhere that the 954 blade set up is a lot lighter than stock. dont know if this is true
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Lithium battery, aftermarket cans, new wheels (but honda six spokes make cosmetic difference), lightened flywheel, 520 chain and alu sprocket. This could be 10-15 kg weight saving.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Modern forged wheels
Steel bits like the front faring mount and the rear sub frame replaced with aluminium
Steel bolts, nuts, axles ext replaced with Ti
Steel exhaust replaced with full Ti system
Light weight flywheel

Welcome to your new light(ish) weight VTR you spent £13k on and is worth £2k or so
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

haynesjones66 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm thanks. the wheels seem very heavy. i read somewhere that the 954 blade set up is a lot lighter than stock. dont know if this is true
not as heavy as one would think. Weight save with Triumph 675 wheels which are supposed to be very light is 2,24 kg / 5,18 lb on both.

oem wheel weight for complete wheel with bearings, discs, sprocket carrier:
front: 6,83 kg
rear: 10,08 kg
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Stephan wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:29 pm
haynesjones66 wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:49 pm thanks. the wheels seem very heavy. i read somewhere that the 954 blade set up is a lot lighter than stock. dont know if this is true
not as heavy as one would think. Weight save with Triumph 675 wheels which are supposed to be very light is 2,24 kg / 5,18 lb on both.

oem wheel weight for complete wheel with bearings, discs, sprocket carrier:
front: 6,83 kg
rear: 10,08 kg
I have not had the pleasure of riding a VTR with some aftermarket light wheels, but I have ridden two bikes back to back with OEM then aftermarket wheels at a industry event ...to say there was felt difference was an understatement...Im not sure Im willing to spend the worth of the entire bike on a set of new wheels, but I know it would be a blast to ride after.

FW35LM2 Front: 2.55kg
RW6LM1 Rear: 3.62kg
Post event services

Total Rider
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Erik: wheels you posted would do sure a lot of difference, to put it into perspective, 1st gen triumph 675 wheels on my bike are 3.3 kg front and 5.7 kg rear bare.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Stephan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm Erik: wheels you posted would do sure a lot of difference, to put it into perspective, 1st gen triumph 675 wheels on my bike are 3.3 kg front and 5.7 kg rear bare.
You have " 1st gen triumph 675 wheels " on your VTR?
If so is there a thread on the swap someplace ?
Post event services

Total Rider
Rhughes945

Post by Rhughes945 »

E.Marquez wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm
Stephan wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:23 pm Erik: wheels you posted would do sure a lot of difference, to put it into perspective, 1st gen triumph 675 wheels on my bike are 3.3 kg front and 5.7 kg rear bare.
You have " 1st gen triumph 675 wheels " on your VTR?
If so is there a thread on the swap someplace ?
I'd also be interested in some more details!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

It wasn´t really easy despite the same bearings are used, but not too complicated either. Main part was custom made brake discs, but this is problem for oem forks, guys with radials are fine :)

This is what I wrote here, unfortunately pictures are gone and I don´t have any on work computer ... 1st comment on page 3

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7&start=30

edit: here is one picture

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Stephan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:35 pm It wasn´t really easy despite the same bearings are used, but not too complicated either. Main part was custom made brake discs, but this is problem for oem forks, guys with radials are fine :)

This is what I wrote here, unfortunately pictures are gone and I don´t have any on work computer ... 1st comment on page 3

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 7&start=30

edit: here is one picture

Ahh, ok thanks

I must have mis read the numbers, or the wheel set up for those weights..As from your linked post "front wheel from 6.83 kg to 6.16
rear from 10.08 to 8.51 with sprocket carrier" the front lower weight is really what Im looking for and its not as much with this swap as I thought.
Post event services

Total Rider
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

That was me messing with weight numbers, all is correct, but written in confusing manner.