Reccomend me

General Bike chat
JohnnyB

Reccomend me

Post by JohnnyB »

Hi all,
not been around for a while but still putting miles on the 'storm still loving it :D
I need to do some jobs and would appreciate your expert advice!
1. Double bubble screen - I'm after a decent qaulity clear one that actually works - which is the best out there?
2. Paddock stands - any particuler ones to avoid or go for? (my beer crate method isn't really the best!)
3. Front brakes need overhauling and I think the discs could do with replacing (32k miles). Genuines, wavy or something else - not looking for bling, looking for effectiveness.
4. I remember a while back people disucssing replacing stanard mirror with someting a little longer - was it early R1 that fit straight on?
Thanks in advance
Stratman

Re: Reccomend me

Post by Stratman »

Hi mate.

Double bubble - can't remember who made mine
Paddock Stand - I bought one at Ally Pally for £18 about 7 years ago and its fine
I replaced mine with EBC discs and pads at about the same mileage
I've got used to them that way, but I think it is only certain year R1/R6's that fit - try the search facility or someone else might be able to help :D
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Cheers Stratman.
a mate with an old VFR did an EBC swap on his and was well chuffed, I'll check out prices.
The paddock stand question was more around which ones to avoid
gilson

Post by gilson »

regarding the paddock stand. I've got a pair of cheapo unbranded,red ones that you see on ebay. The ones with springs that push the hooks or platform out. They are shite. OK, they are ok for light use I suppose....

I treated myself to a rear Harris stand, which is very good but is 70GBP brand new (often go on ebay for 40-50GBP). If you have bobbins I would recommend Harris, if not, I'm not sure. If you want my rear paddock stand and you want to come and get it (Harlow Essex), it's yours for nothing.... I've got hooks and platform for the swing arm for it.

Skidmarx make screens (but they are fragile especially if you try to drill them (doh!!).

I wouldn't buy those Chinese/hon kong discs on ebay.. originals are not much and they are OK...
No bike (yet).
Zakalwe

Post by Zakalwe »

Spend the money and get an Abba stand. They are really worth it (I learned after my old SP1 dropped off cheapo eBay stands 8O - luckily with no damage).

The Abba stand that I bought after that happened works on my Fireblade and GSXR600 trackbike. Its great for normal stuff and you can use it to drop the rear suspension out.

My mate was thinking off buying a stand...he saw the Abba in action and went straight out and bought one (I am still waiting for my sales commission from the makers though :roll: )
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

JohnnyB,

I agree, spend a little more and get a good quality paddock stand, you'll only wish that you did later on. The best front ones IMO are the ones that pick up under the bottom yoke (locating in the steering stem), the type that picks up under the fork legs (where the fork leg sits on two metal bars) are not very safe, as the fork legs can very easily jump out, as you're putting the bike up on the stand.

I definitely agree about avoiding those cheap Chinese brake disc's on Ebay. I've not tried the wavy disc's yet so I can't comment on them, but I'm sure others can.

Overhauling the brake calipers will make the brakes better if they've not been done for a long time. I did mine recently, and although none of the pistons needed freeing up, I was surprised how much better they felt. A set of braided brake hoses would also be a good investment, especially if your bike still has the original rubber ones fitted.

Chris.
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

+1 to the Abba stand :D
gilson

Post by gilson »

sirch345 wrote:The best front ones IMO are the ones that pick up under the bottom yoke (locating in the steering stem), the type that picks up under the fork legs (where the fork leg sits on two metal bars) are not very safe, as the fork legs can very easily jump out, as you're putting the bike up on the stand.
Hi Chris, Harris also do this type (which I'm very tempted by - agree with you). Do you have the Harris ones? Or a different sort? The harris ones are about 135GBP, which is a little pricey, but then again quality is costly.

I've currently taken out my forks and have lashed the bike, via the headstock to the garage roof beam! It's secure for sure, but it swings about a little.

I also like those Abba stands, I have a similar type, not as practical as Abba, but as study. The only problem with them is that it (and I think the ABBA Stand) doesn't balance the bike unfortunately, there's still a lot of weight on the front wheel, hence you'll still need a front paddock stand, regardless of type.
No bike (yet).
JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB »

Thanks Chaps.
An Abba stand are deffo an option. I also like the idea of a front paddock stand that holds the bike under the yoke so you can work on the forks.
Gilson, thanks for your kind offer :) I'm a little far away so will take the quality route I think.
I'm Looking forward to doing the brakes and adding some braided lines but am currently pre-occupied fixing my old Pegaso, its the worst bike in the world to work on (especially the carbs :( )
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

gilson wrote:
sirch345 wrote:The best front ones IMO are the ones that pick up under the bottom yoke (locating in the steering stem), the type that picks up under the fork legs (where the fork leg sits on two metal bars) are not very safe, as the fork legs can very easily jump out, as you're putting the bike up on the stand.
Hi Chris, Harris also do this type (which I'm very tempted by - agree with you). Do you have the Harris ones? Or a different sort? The harris ones are about 135GBP, which is a little pricey, but then again quality is costly.

I've currently taken out my forks and have lashed the bike, via the headstock to the garage roof beam! It's secure for sure, but it swings about a little.

I also like those Abba stands, I have a similar type, not as practical as Abba, but as study. The only problem with them is that it (and I think the ABBA Stand) doesn't balance the bike unfortunately, there's still a lot of weight on the front wheel, hence you'll still need a front paddock stand, regardless of type.
Hi Gilson,

No, I don't have a Harris p/stand, but I made myself one of those (that I was referring too earlier) paddock stands that picks up the front, locating under each fork leg on two metal bars, that's how I know they not very safe. I don't use it now as I don't trust it, but may sometime turn it into one of those stands that picks up the front from under the steering stem bottom yoke, as we discussed before. At the moment I use a stand I made (quite a few years ago now) that picks up the rear end of the bike via the rear engine mounting bolt (see pic below). It allows the removal of the swingarm for servicing etc by picking up at that point. Also when the bike is up on this stand, with a piece of wood placed on the trolley jack lifting point, it's very easy to raise the front off the ground by jacking it up under the sump :!:

I agree £135 is enough for a stand, but hopefully you only buy it the once. You could keep an eye out on ebay or freeads etc if you're in no hurry.

Lashing your bike to the roof beam is probably the safest of all.

Chris.

bikerpiker

Post by bikerpiker »

These are a great bit of kit, Sirch(Chris) gave me the sizes to make one up for myself , i was only£20 or so for steel ,so if your handy with a welder,or have a mate who is, its worth doing :!: Very stable using trolley jack for front end.
............................................................:)
Heres all the dimensions and materials list if anybody wants a go at making one.

CLICKY RIGHT 'ERE... ........http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12471

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Stevie
gilson

Post by gilson »

That is beautifully clean! I must do a search on how to clean and polish stuff.. nothing looks nicer than polished things on a bike....
sirch345 wrote:
gilson wrote:

Hi Gilson,

No, I don't have a Harris p/stand, but I made myself one of those (that I was referring too earlier) paddock stands that picks up the front, locating under each fork leg on two metal bars, that's how I know they not very safe. I don't use it now as I don't trust it, but may sometime turn it into one of those stands that picks up the front from under the steering stem bottom yoke, as we discussed before. At the moment I use a stand I made (quite a few years ago now) that picks up the rear end of the bike via the rear engine mounting bolt (see pic below). It allows the removal of the swingarm for servicing etc by picking up at that point. Also when the bike is up on this stand, with a piece of wood placed on the trolley jack lifting point, it's very easy to raise the front off the ground by jacking it up under the sump :!:

I agree £135 is enough for a stand, but hopefully you only buy it the once. You could keep an eye out on ebay or freeads etc if you're in no hurry.

Lashing your bike to the roof beam is probably the safest of all.

Chris.

No bike (yet).